RM6401L Fridge on Gas problem (1 Viewer)

vaughan

Free Member
Oct 30, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
My fridge will light on gas with a bit coaxing. Unfortunately when I switch the autoseek satellite on the igniter clicks on and flashes. If I wait for the satellite to settle into operating position I can re-ignite the fridge o.k. As soon as I switch the satellite dish to 'drop' mode the igniter comes on again. I can even hear the relay behind the gas igniter knob operating. A kind observer on another forum mentioned 'back e.m.f.' as the cause but offered no remedy.
Anyone heard of this before or can offer a remedy?
Fridge is in a 2000 Bessacarr E765.

Vaughan

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

was your sat dish retro fitted ?

If so the installer may have tapped into the 12v fridge supply, when the sat operates there will be a momentary volt drop that the fridge senses and tries to re ignite .. if this is the case then the solution is to run a separate supply to the sat dish

nothing to do with back emf

jim

OP
OP
V

vaughan

Free Member
Oct 30, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Yes, it was retro-fitted by the previous owner. It is a Clearview Dish with auto-seek. It drops automatically if the engine is started.
The power for the dish comes from the Fiat end with alternator control for the automatic drop down. There is a second power feed which I can only assume is from the m'home 12v system. This must be to operate the dish motor for drop down.
There is no direct power connection with the fridge 12v igniter feed. It's got me!
Anyone any other thoughts?
Vaughan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
There is a second power feed which I can only assume is from the m'home 12v system. This must be to operate the dish motor for drop down.
There is no direct power connection with the fridge 12v igniter feed. It's got me!
Anyone any other thoughts?
Vaughan

Hi

I would try and establish exactly where the dish is fed from , I'm still convinced that is where the problem lies..

You could also check the 12v supply to the fridge with a digital meter, then while keeping an eye on the meter try operating the dish to establish whether there is a a relationship and significant volt drop or not ..

Jim

OP
OP
V

vaughan

Free Member
Oct 30, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'll try and check the dish supply this afternoon. I have tried a digital multimeter on the fridge 12v supply but I think the volt drop is too quick for the meter. They must be well dampened nowadays.
Vaughan

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'll try and check the dish supply this afternoon. I have tried a digital multimeter on the fridge 12v supply but I think the volt drop is too quick for the meter. They must be well dampened nowadays.
Vaughan

Hi

yeah, that's true, and they also hold the sample too long to see quick changes, this is where the old fashioned AVO was useful.. some of the more expensive DMMs have graphs and you can see what is happening..

good luck.. let us know your findings.

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
V

vaughan

Free Member
Oct 30, 2008
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Problem solved. You were right about the satellite supply but maybe not the way you intended. It was the neutral that was the problem. I don't know where the installer picked up the neutral, sorry, negative black wire, from as it disappeared behind the fridge. I switched the sat dish over to a m'home negative and problem solved. Thanks for the help; you pointed me in the right direction to concentrate on.
p.s. you're right about the old AVO!
Vaughan

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Problem solved. You were right about the satellite supply but maybe not the way you intended. It was the neutral that was the problem. I don't know where the installer picked up the neutral, sorry, negative black wire, from as it disappeared behind the fridge. I switched the sat dish over to a m'home negative and problem solved. Thanks for the help; you pointed me in the right direction to concentrate on.
p.s. you're right about the old AVO!
Vaughan

Glad your all sorted ..

Job well done, :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back