Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
My fridge freezer works fine on gas and on 12v when running.
It will not work at all on mains.
This is an AES fridge.
When I switch it on to hook up, it seems to bypass the 230v function and attempt to ignite on gas.
(Can hear the igniter clicking.)

I've checked the 12v and 230v fuses on top of the fridge, both of which are intact.
The fuse in the fused mains switch is also intact, light is on.
No problem with the circuit breakers.
Am I right in now assuming that all is left to be duff is either the relay in the back or the 230v heating element?

Keep it simple, please folks.

I have gas function, so not life threatening, just like to freeze it down before we load it up to go away.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
You should have said yesterday John, we might have been able to fix it!::bigsmile:

It might be worth testing the 240v connection at the back of the fridge to see if power is getting there. Be careful though and ensure your meter test leads are in good condition so you don't get a shock!

If 240v is making it to the fridge, it will be problem with the Fridge's control setup. I don't know my round a Dometic AES fridge, so you are on your own there!

I would expect a failed 240v element to have an accompanying error code if you have an LCD display though.

OP
OP
johnp10

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
You should have said yesterday John, we might have been able to fix it!::bigsmile:

It might be worth testing the 240v connection at the back of the fridge to see if power is getting there. Be careful though and ensure your meter test leads are in good condition so you don't get a shock!

If 240v is making it to the fridge, it will be problem with the Fridge's control setup. I don't know my round a Dometic AES fridge, so you are on your own there!

I would expect a failed 240v element to have an accompanying error code if you have an LCD display though.

Cheers Jon.
Didn't bother yesterday as we had no hook ups, thought it would be needed to test it?
Not my world.
Seems like somehow the 240v isn't getting there, or a faulty component on that side.
We still have gas, so wont have warm beer.
There's no LCD display.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
If an AES fridge has a duff element it will still select 240v but just won't cool. On my fridge the 240v setting will light up red when selected and no mains is present and green when mains is present.
Check that you have 240v at the back of the fridge. If you have then it will be a duff circuit board.

OP
OP
johnp10

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
If an AES fridge has a duff element it will still select 240v but just won't cool. On my fridge the 240v setting will light up red when selected and no mains is present and green when mains is present.
Check that you have 240v at the back of the fridge. If you have then it will be a duff circuit board.

When I switch on the 240v, the green lights comes on.
There is the characteristic clunk and then clicking as the gas ignite kicks in.
At that point the light turns red.
I don't think it's seeing the 240.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
If you set it to 240v on the dial if it goes red it is not seeing the 240v

We had this happening once on a rally where there were a lot of vans on split hookups. When we moved on it was back to normal, so poor mains can also cause issues.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
johnp10

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
If you set it to 240v on the dial if it goes red it is not seeing the 240v

We had this happening once on a rally where there were a lot of vans on split hookups. When we moved on it was back to normal, so poor mains can also cause issues.

No dial, mate, it's automatic energy selection.
Just a button.
It selects its own energy source.
It does this at home, so poor mains isn't an issue.
I'll check the feed with a meter tomorrow.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I have a Dometic AES fridge and it is possible to select one power source (ie 240v) manually. After a quick look on Dometics web site, which has manuals for all of their models which you can download, it appears that most, if not all of their models , have this function. Without knowing which model you have I think it may be possible that you have accidentally set it to gas only. Only guessing here, of course.

Also, even if it is set on AES it still requires a 12v feed to function, regardless of what power source has been selected. The fact that yours works on gas and 12v would seem to mean that the 12v supply is fine.

If you don't have the instructions it may be worth looking up your particular model number on the Dometic site for the manual.

www.dometic.com

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back