Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Our Autotrail has the underbed storage locker door fitted with rivets. It has stopped holding and so we are risking life and limb every time we go in there. I have a new catch but don't know how to get the old one off and whether the new one can be fitted with screws. If it has to be rivets how do I do it? Mags

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Pop rivets generally need drilling out, you can sometimes chisel the heads off but that might be troublesome on thin moho bodywork. Any chance of a picture ?

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Best to drill them out carefully and use same holes but with stainless screws.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I would drill them out and replace with stainless steel pop rivets, yacht chandlers sell them.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Usually it can be quite a faff to replace rivets with screws as hole is usually to big,
if a suitable screw was found, a bigger hole would be needed in you catch to make things work
far better to carefully drill out the rivets and as suggested replace with either stainless or aluminium
you will need the correct size drills and a riveting tool, maybe best job for a Garage.
Rather than replace catch look at packing out the striker plate as an option if it has one
G

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Stainless rivets will corrode the aluminium, you need monel metal rivets which you will get in a chandlers. If the catch is stainless you will need to insulate it from the aluminium with something like yellow chromate.

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks everyone. Definitely not a job for me. Will take it to the man who looks after our van. In the meantime will be careful

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
I agree with some of the others you need to drill out the pop rivets or as you say get someone else to do it but I must say two posts in a day is a bit greedy. :whistle::whistle::whistle::)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
getting somebody to do the job should not be expensive,its a 5 minute job for anyone with the right tools

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
you can get rivets which then allow you to screw into them, but i would just re-rivet

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Stainless rivets will corrode the aluminium, you need monel metal rivets which you will get in a chandlers. If the catch is stainless you will need to insulate it from the aluminium with something like yellow chromate.

If it is internal it should be ok with stainless rivets as it is unlikely to get soaked in an electrolyte to kick off the galvanic reaction.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
If it is internal it should be ok with stainless rivets as it is unlikely to get soaked in an electrolyte to kick off the galvanic reaction.
Any moisture is enough, and any way monel rivets are no more expensive and usually easier to find. Considering the skin thickness on most motorhomes you don't really want to lose any of the metal.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
getting somebody to do the job should not be expensive,its a 5 minute job for anyone with the right tools
... ie wait until you're at a rally/show with @Techno (y)

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
My van has aluminium side skirts, we had them resprayed as part of the deal when we bought it. 5 years later, the paint is starting to blister again, near the screw fixings, wonder what type of screws they used as it's obviously a galvanic issue ?

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
Any moisture is enough, and any way monel rivets are no more expensive and usually easier to find. Considering the skin thickness on most motorhomes you don't really want to lose any of the metal.

You are right that any moisture will start a galvanic reaction. (y)

I was suggesting an internal fixing is less likely to fizz away as it is a better, drier environment.
You will know from your marine experience (looking at your profile picture) that many mainstream yacht and boat manufacturers will use stainless and mild steel screws internally fixed into dissimilar metals with little issue and without isolating them especially in the engine bay and lockers.

In my opinion aluminium pop rivers are possibly a better bet in this situation due to requiring less effort to swell and therefore running less risk of deforming the panel. Of course a pneumatic riveter makes things so much easier! :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back