RISKING THE SANEF TOLL TAG HEIGHT/WEIGHT RESTRICTIONS?? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Skeggysue

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
Aw - thank you everyone for your interesting and helpful replies and we appreciate all the fors and againsts posts re toll tags and it's certainly given us food for thought!
Pease don't squabble over this subject though, as I guess we all look at matters like this from slightly different angles and I doubt very much if any one of us are out and out crooks, who are only out to get something for nothing and cheat and fiddle the system? I think most of us will be honest, decent and law abiding members of society, but we just want the best value we can get for our money, with the least amount of hassle involved.
I spoke to Sanef yesterday, and the lady I spoke to was lovely and she put me in touch with their sister company in France, who apparently offer tags to vehicles over 3 metres high and 3.5 ton in weight. Unfortunately, I don't know if it was the language barrier, but when I rang them to make enquiries about a tag, the person I spoke to seemed a little confused by my query and said they don't offer them to motorhomes!!!!!
Oh well - we might just chance the Sanef tag now and fingers crossed we'll not encounter any problems!!!
Thanks again everyone!
Sue x

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
No more than you're attempting to cheat the system if you drive up to a manned barrier, are charged class 2 and don't volunteer to pay class 3 or 4.

Its completely different.
If the toll company incorrectly classify you, then thats their loss and your gain. You had no intent to pay the incorrect rate, it was a mistake on their part.
However if you deliberately set out to use a service that you are not entitled to, then that's a different matter completely. Its all about intent

Edit
Ooops ! Sorry Sue for squabbling
Agreed, lifes to short for arguing

OP
OP
Skeggysue

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
Hi there,

As promised, I think I've found a solution for a legitimate tagged device to use on both the French and Spanish motorways, especially suitable for we motorhomers over 3 metres high and above 3.5 ton.

I emailed a company called Tolltickets https://www.tolltickets.com/country/france/libert.aspx?lang=en-GB&mnu=c and I received a very speedy and welcome reply back.

Here is a copy of the said email:

Dear Mrs Gill,

Thank you for your email to tolltickets.

For vehicles exceeding 3.5t / 3m height we offer the TIS-PL toll box for France which can also be used in Spain.

We offer our devices in two different models. Our short term contract for holiday users and our long term contract for frequent users.

Short term:
1. Activation € 4.50 per device and additional shipment charges (once the order)
2. Device rental fee of € 0.25per device from 22nd day until inbox date at tolltickets (first 21 days are free) - Even if the device is unused.
3. Toll amount.
4. 9% service fee on the toll amount
5. Stamp for device return

Long term:
1. Activation € 4.50 per device and additional shipment charges (once the order)
2. Toll amount.
3. 7% service fee on the toll amount
4. Device rental fee: € 35.00 / year

General information:
You can order the device six weeks before you leave. On the first page of the shipping basket you can enter the desired shipment date. Normally we calculate a shipment period of 4 - 7 working days. To guarantee a shipment in time we normally ship the device even before the desired shipment date. But your entered date is always the basis of the rental period. You should order as soon as possible for reservation a device on stock (and a guaranteed delivery in time).

The rental period starts five days after the desired shipment date. From the 22nd day of rental we charge an additional device fee of 0.25€ per day until you return the device (inbox date at tolltickets). To avoid unnecessary rental costs please enter a desired shipment date about 7 working days before you start your journey and order the device at least 2 weeks before you start.

We send the device by airmail letter. You can return the device on the same kind of way (letter post) by using the same envelope. To make it easier for you we always include a return address label.

The settlement of the toll transaction is done monthly and some days after return.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

Kind regards

L. Molkenthin
Tolltickets Support Team

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Hi there,

As promised, I think I've found a solution for a legitimate tagged device to use on both the French and Spanish motorways, especially suitable for we motorhomers over 3 metres high and above 3.5 ton.

I emailed a company called Tolltickets https://www.tolltickets.com/country/france/libert.aspx?lang=en-GB&mnu=c and I received a very speedy and welcome reply back.

Here is a copy of the said email:

Dear Mrs Gill,

Thank you for your email to tolltickets.

For vehicles exceeding 3.5t / 3m height we offer the TIS-PL toll box for France which can also be used in Spain.

We offer our devices in two different models. Our short term contract for holiday users and our long term contract for frequent users.

Short term:
2. Device rental fee of € 0.25per device from 22nd day until inbox date at tolltickets (first 21 days are free) - Even if the device is unused.
3. Toll amount.
4. 9% service fee on the toll amount
5. Stamp for device return

Long term:
2. Toll amount.
3. 7% service fee on the toll amount
4. Device rental fee: € 35.00 / year

General information:
You can order the device six weeks before you leave. On the first page of the shipping basket you can enter the desired shipment date. Normally we calculate a shipment period of 4 - 7 working days. To guarantee a shipment in time we normally ship the device even before the desired shipment date. But your entered date is always the basis of the rental period. You should order as soon as possible for reservation a device on stock (and a guaranteed delivery in time).

The rental period starts five days after the desired shipment date. From the 22nd day of rental we charge an additional device fee of 0.25€ per day until you return the device (inbox date at tolltickets). To avoid unnecessary rental costs please enter a desired shipment date about 7 working days before you start your journey and order the device at least 2 weeks before you start.

We send the device by airmail letter. You can return the device on the same kind of way (letter post) by using the same envelope. To make it easier for you we always include a return address label.

The settlement of the toll transaction is done monthly and some days after return.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions.

Kind regards

L. Molkenthin
Tolltickets Support Team
The 7 or 9% service fee would put some people off using this I think.
Probably why people tell a 'porkie' and use the satndard tag.

OP
OP
Skeggysue

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
I know it's a more expensive solution than the Sanef Tag system but it's reassuring to know that we won't encounter any complications re height and weight restrictions etc. Can do without the uncertainty every time we come to a toll booth, so for me it's worth the extra charges for the peace of mind it will bring me!

I'll keep you posted re how we get on with it.

Sue

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I know it's probably more expensive than the Sanef Tag system but it's reassuring to know that we won't encounter any complications re height and weight restrictions etc. Can do without the uncertainty every time we come to a toll booth, so for me it's worth the extra charges for the peace of mind it will bring me!

I'll keep you posted re how we get on with it.

Sue
Hi Sue
If you get the 'hgv' tag I suspect that you are going to pay a higher price at every toll, rather than if you pay be credit card / cash, as you're only just over 3m high.
I'd be tempted to pay by card as you'll probably be charged the lower rate, based purely on height.
Whatever you decide - hope you have a great trip

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That's good advice Sue. If you aren't comfortable with a Sanef tag you will be better off taking your chances with the card/cash booths. Class 3 plus 7 or 9% every single time is going to get expensive.

OP
OP
Skeggysue

Skeggysue

Free Member
Sep 26, 2007
Skegness, Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic XL
Exp
Since 2004
Oooh!!! I don't know what to do now!!! I thought I had it sorted but now you guys are making me think!!!! :oops:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

parigby

Free Member
Aug 20, 2009
Ludlow
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
20 years
I spent some time looking at this option, but in the end couldn't get my head round why my 3.1mt and a bit high MoHome should be charged at the same rate as a 44 ton multi axle truck.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have had a tag for ten years now. We use it both for our car and our motorhome.

Our M/H is 2.85m high with a MGW of 3650kilos. So we qualify for Class 2 on height but not on weight. However, we have never been charged more than Class 2 in those ten years.

Incidentally, if toll booths introduced a system to weigh vehicles at the point of charge we would still be classed as Class 2 as we routinely run the vehicle below 3.5 tonnes when loaded. (only two of us, no scooter mounted, empty waste tank, fresh water no more than half full).

I know the rules say 3.5 tonnes MGW but, in the absence of ANPR, with a link to the DVLA database, how could they know?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back