Rip off or just lack of product knowledge? (1 Viewer)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
As you say more attractive to the baddies, but the modus operandi is the same foir both
http://www.dailytech.com/Apples+OS+X+is+First+OS+to+be+Hacked+at+This+Years+Pwn2Own/article21097.htm

Personally I wouldn't run any device without protection.

Four years and multiple versions of OS X ago. Also set up as a demo so not really a real world test.

Up to you of course but I would need to see far more convincing evidence than that before I even think clog up any of my systems with resource munching security software that I don't need.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
A lot of people wouldn't be happy with an adaptor and would want the job done correctly would the adaptor be acceptable for insurance after a fire? Personally on a new van I would want it right

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The only Rip off I can see in this Tread is un-qualified people messing about with Gas in their Habitation/ Motor homes, to get a cheap Job. Im not sure how the insurance would react if there was explosion/fire. And would those that have Di-yd their Gas system notify a future owner.
It's not a cheap job , it's a proper job, do you change your own gas bottle? If you do you are doing the same as fitting a gasit system, only on the first fit you screw up three nuts instead of one, after that you don't even have to screw up one as in changing a calor bottle.
And as to informing the next owner , cause you would as its a bonus.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
A lot of people wouldn't be happy with an adaptor and would want the job done correctly would the adaptor be acceptable for insurance after a fire? Personally on a new van I would want it right

Absolutely.. An adapter of some sort is used on every installation if you analyze it.

As others have said though, gas is not something for the incompetent to mess with.. In the early 80's I was doing lpg conversions to fork trucks for a few years
Lost count of the amount of crappy installs I saw and had to sort out.
BUT.. Someone happy with spanners and is careful about what they are doing should be able to work on pretty much all aspects of LPG in a motorhome. Almost all of it is very basic indeed.
Just remember, once a job is done check it for leaks no matter how clever you think you are.

A good way to check for leaks if you do not have a gauge to do a drop test with is to make up a weak solution of washing up liquid and water.. Spray it on all joints ( with something like a Mr Muscle type thing ) and watch for bubbles.
I would also advise going back after a trip out and double checking again.. Just in case and all that :)

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
It doesn't work quite as easy as that, I wish it did. Sadly a business does not get to keep everything that they charge the customer they have overheads, office/workshop, car/van possibly other staff behind the scenes not being billed directly, then there is rent rates electric insurance, advertising, reinvestment, google placement etc etc, then if there is anything left at the end you will get a tax bill, finally you might get to keep a bit for yourself or not if you got it wrong.

That I believe is where the skill comes into running a business, if there is nothing left at the end of the month/year you wont last long.

Back to the OP we dont have all the facts, possibly the dealer condemned the regulator or just didn't want in the installation which they were going to be responsible for, did the quote include rental on two new Calor bottles and what was the cost to dispose of the old German bottles.

No it was not a "Rip Off" the cost was up front and no hidden extras, it might have been expensive or not who knows but they gave the customer the choice.

Martin
No Martin, you've misunderstood, the OP went into the motorhome dealer to enquire as to which adapter he would need.
He didn't need nor want new gas bottles, or regulator.............the dealer either did not know the product or just tried to rip him off.

When you shop for a tin of beans and the shop doesn't stock them would you want to buy a banquet instead.:whistle::whistle::whistle:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Ear we go! :)

I thought a rip off was when you had the job done and got charged more than quoted without good reason.

As I have read all this thread I may have forgotten the op, but I thought he got a price......that's all. When you need a job doing, don't you ask 2 or 3 different companies for a quote and then make a choice. When one or two are perhaps more expensive, it doesn't mean they are ripping you off, it's just what they want to do the job.

I know that I have in the past not chosen the cheapest one, but that didn't mean I was "ripped off".

Just my thoughts, now you lot......carry on! (y):)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
When you need a job doing, don't you ask 2 or 3 different companies for a quote and then make a choice. When one or two are perhaps more expensive, it doesn't mean they are ripping you off, it's just what they want to do the job.

I know that I have in the past not chosen the cheapest one, but that didn't mean I was "ripped off".

Out here in the sticks it's not always possible to find anyone to do a job - or even give quote! We did accept a quote for some decorating work and the people who were going to do it just never returned our calls about when they would start - when we eventually got hold of them they said they had decided against doing it. It still needs doing
:( Most work is commissioned / agreed between parties who have taken "word of mouth" recommendations and assurances.

Generally if we want anything done we ask Andy at the garage as he knows everyone :) We also say that we got the number from him and I know that the person we call will check up with Andy to make sure we are not just messing around.

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Out here in the sticks it's not always possible to find anyone to do a job - or even give quote! We did accept a quote for some decorating work and the people who were going to do it just never returned our calls about when they would start - when we eventually got hold of them they said they had decided against doing it. It still needs doing
:( Most work is commissioned / agreed between parties who have taken "word of mouth" recommendations and assurances.

Generally if we want anything done we ask Andy at the garage as he knows everyone :) We also say that we got the number from him and I know that the person we call will check up with Andy to make sure we are not just messing around.

Sorry, I meant to exclude the "Sticks"....Your all one big family out in the sticks, so you always get the best prices.(y):whistle:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
No Martin, you've misunderstood, the OP went into the motorhome dealer to enquire as to which adapter he would need.
He didn't need nor want new gas bottles, or regulator.............the dealer either did not know the product or just tried to rip him off.

When you shop for a tin of beans and the shop doesn't stock them would you want to buy a banquet instead.:whistle::whistle::whistle:

OK I often misunderstand, possibly dealer have their reasons for not recommending an adaptor, but I take your point.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
So prey tell, how many hours a week / day do you do at that rate which equates to £180,000 a year? Are you a Frankly owner!
Well I work for a plc. My team are targeted to deliver a 100% markup but of course much of that is used to cover fixed costs as mentioned elsewhere. To achieve my targets my team must be billable 80% of their paid hours.
Right:) are apple computers less vulnerable to malewhare (banking fraud) then windows systems plse....
Two separate questions. The answer to both is no. The reasons are different.

Apple computers are no more secure than windows. There are however less of them so they are less likely to be targeted. That is changing due to the iPhone. You should be just as vigilant.

Very little banking fraud is carried out using malware against private individuals. The returns are too small. If you want to attack a financial institution you go through internal users not customers.

Banking fraud against end users is usually by deception (usually phishing) and the operating system is not a protection. I'm my experience google is the most secure email option but that doesn't prevent the need for vigilance
For a yes or no? Blimey!:)
As above, yes or no doesn't cut it.. But this one is on me..

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
:D Well I have spent nearly an hour reading all this crap (my opinion) and I am not getting into a argument as to crap or not (y);)The OP asked for a price and got one then declined to have the work done because he felt like it was a rip off so to the OP it was a rip off -He was not given a choice of fitting a £22 adapter so got bad advice but never the less advice to that persons best knowledge - Luckily the OP thought it was bad advice so declined hence it was not a rip off :LOL:but could well have been :D
If you lot have not fallen asleep yet and still with me next time we are at a meet and someone asks for advice or a window sealed etc I am not charging my usual mug of coffee it's £120 per hour or part of so you have been warned no free quotes /advice or anything for nowt-any materials are being charged at 15 times the price I pay -I won't get this hour back so some b====ed is gonna pay big time (y) you have been warned ;)
terry

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
:D Well I have spent nearly an hour reading all this crap (my opinion) and I am not getting into a argument as to crap or not (y);)The OP asked for a price and got one then declined to have the work done because he felt like it was a rip off so to the OP it was a rip off -He was not given a choice of fitting a £22 adapter so got bad advice but never the less advice to that persons best knowledge - Luckily the OP thought it was bad advice so declined hence it was not a rip off :LOL:but could well have been :D
If you lot have not fallen asleep yet and still with me next time we are at a meet and someone asks for advice or a window sealed etc I am not charging my usual mug of coffee it's £120 per hour or part of so you have been warned no free quotes /advice or anything for nowt-any materials are being charged at 15 times the price I pay -I won't get this hour back so some b====ed is gonna pay big time (y) you have been warned ;)
terry

Could you give me a price for 3 windows please.:LOL:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Could you give me a price for 3 windows please.:LOL:
Of course Billy we are on the forum so depending on size aprox £3oo each -now if we are at a meet that will be £120 for pricing up £4500 per window depending on size plus fitting :LOL:(y)
terry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its even cheaper here . inc postage .http://www.**********s.com/gaslow-easy-fit-adapter-1674-p-2147.html
link not working never mindhttp://www.gasproducts.co.uk/acatalog/Gaslow_Easy-Fit_Adaptor.html
even cheaper on this one.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
no free quotes /advice or anything for nowt
Good advice is worth paying for :)
A boring little tail....
My house broadband has been dropping out every time I use the phone for over a year.. done all sorts of checks and unplugged extensions etc ...no joy.
Called at a shop yesterday for some printer ink and asked the lad about a new router...
Advised that I do a number of things first..which I did and the problem is sorted..
I went back today bought some new adsl filters and gave him something for his advice .. He didn't want it but I insisted..
I think that was fair... I'll use him again as I know he is an honest person and very helpful..
End of lesson lol...
Andy.

OldWomble

Free Member
Feb 22, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
AS Kemerton XL
Exp
25 years
Rip-off or not, I would ask the question "why do you need to change the regulator in the first place". Surly if it was fitted by the manufacturer it has been correctly sized for the 'van. All you need is a simple adapter to enable you to connect your Calor or refillable bottles. There are plenty of places who can supply adapters (GasIt is my preferred supplier) for just a few pounds and you fit it yourself - its very simple to do.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I may make exceptions for people I know Andy ;)
terry
I know that...:LOL: you are a big softie at heart..
You would be on your way to a millionaire if you charged for half of what you do...
Hey I missing the rugby tata:)
Andy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back