Ring Solar Trickle Charger

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Paddocker, Mar 26, 2015.

1. Paddocker

Paddocker

Ring are advertising a trickle charger which plugs into your 12v socket, anyone have any experience of these. Seems a cheap option at around 19 quid !!

• Like Like x 1
  2. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Not much use if your 12v socket turns off with the ignition.

Very low output will make little difference to your batteries.

3. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Be wary of RING. For many years then had a great reputation with vehicle bulbs, but five years ago I purchased a 3500 inverter for our boat. It went kaput within twelve months. Unrepairable. I had to read the riot act to get it replaced, and then only by travelling to Leeds for the new one. Total shambles. Make sure you read some good reviews from users before buying. :(

4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I tried one when we first had a van. A chocolate fireguard would have been a more productive investment.

• Like Like x 1
  5. LaMB

LaMB Funster

^ +1

You can have mine, it's just a dust trap!

• Like Like x 1
  6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Many vehicles today have uv glass.....panel on dash wont be much good if the sun cant get to it.

Keep your money in your pocket....you need at least 50watts worth of panel to be of any real use, unless you only want to charge your phone or tablet.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jaime

Jaime

Ring are rubbish. My family company were in the business (battery chargers, low voltage inspection lighting, car bulbs, jump leads, you name it) so I know. We outclassed them 10/1. We were bought out ten years ago by huge conglomeration but Ring continue to be rubbish. Personally I would never buy Ring.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

The little trickle chargers are pretty useless.

I have my own bodge job, a 10watt panel about a foot square with magnetic backing which sits on the roof of my Disco when I leave it parked for a couple of months. It is plugged into the permanent 12v live pin on the towing socket and does seem to be adequate to keep the battery topped up so it will start. Max charging rate is about 0.5A buts it's there all the time and the battery is only being used for the arcane things that Discos do (like suspension levelling while parked-Why?)

Obviously you need a reasonably secure place to park as there is nothing to stop anyone nicking it, though the roof is quite high.