Right! Now what do I do with all this electric? (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
i have now put both 100w solar panels on the van roof, we have never run out of battery power in three years without them , but everyone else seemed to think you can't manage without them, so instead of the one I was going to put on to play with I now have two, it's chargeing my battery's like something demented, I have a steady 13.2 volts and can get up to 13.9, when the sun comes out, what do I need now to use it that I havnt got already, microwave maybe but managed quite well without one up to yet, what do you all have that needs all this free electric?
It may sound flippent but it's a half serious question, I have now got loads of potential electric just going to waste, seems a shame to just let it go.

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
charge all the batteries on site

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
12v water heater. I have the same problem producing to much and it going to waste seems silly. My system dumps excess power into a 600w resister which gets hot so no reason why it can't be transferred to water element. Even if it only warms it so the normal water heating system dosent have to use so much power.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I have a Micro-Wave cooker plus an electric kettle and a toaster and my fancy coffee maker. My sky box is one of the common ones that only works on 230Volts and I run my laptop and chargers for my iPad and iPhones. Probably a dreadful waste but I have four panels up on the roof and a four battery bank in the electronics cupboard so sod it.

I'm told that my fridge also switches to electric from gas if a surplus is available.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If you have an inverter you could let your neighbour plug in his EHU lead when his batteries have gone flat.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
The River Dart Country Park in Devon run a small hydro electric generator from a leat run from the River Dart. Excess power not required by the country park is diverted to the national grid. There has to be a safety system whereby if the national grid won't take the power for some reason it can be used somehow. Evidently they have or used to have a large tank full of electric kettle elements to use any excess power in such circumstances.

Jun 17, 2015
Portsmouth
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
July 2015 plus 20 years of camping
The River Dart Country Park in Devon run a small hydro electric generator from a leat run from the River Dart. Excess power not required by the country park is diverted to the national grid. There has to be a safety system whereby if the national grid won't take the power for some reason it can be used somehow. Evidently they have or used to have a large tank full of electric kettle elements to use any excess power in such circumstances.

I bet the fish in that tank look nervous.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Evidently they have or used to have a large tank full of electric kettle elements to use any excess power in such circumstances.
Why on earth would they want to do that ?

Its not like the electric will just keep building up until it explodes or something.

If nothing is using the power it is dormant energy....there is no electric.....you dont have to do anything with it....it doesnt exist until you draw from it.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Why on earth would they want to do that ?

Its not like the electric will just keep building up until it explodes or something.

If nothing is using the power it is dormant energy....there is no electric.....you dont have to do anything with it....it doesnt exist until you draw from it.

No idea! Electricity is not my forte bit I remember seeing the tank and the elements but its about 20 years ago now and that's what we were told at the time.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Cheers everyone, don't really know why I started this solar job, just kept reading of people on here putting more and more solar on so just had to have a go at it , and oweing to a cockup and a refund got two panels for the price of one , but seriously we have been all over Europe for three years and also around uk and never ever run out of electric but now we have got loads and it seems a waste to let it go.(y)
Others with four or more must use it for something.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Others with four or more must use it for something.
Again, you dont HAVE to use it....but if you use it for the sake of using it that too is wasted energy so nothing gained.

Buy a few 12v hair driers and leave them on all day....that really is a waste of energy.

Seriously, the more solar you have the faster your batteries will charge and remain charged....which is the main object.
Anything else is simply doing what you want to avoid...wasting energy.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Again, you dont HAVE to use it....but if you use it for the sake of using it that too is wasted energy so nothing gained.

Buy a few 12v hair driers and leave them on all day....that really is a waste of energy.

Seriously, the more solar you have the faster your batteries will charge and remain charged....which is the main object.
Anything else is simply doing what you want to avoid...wasting energy.
Yes totally agree with you, but from what I have come up with I just can't use 200w so what do people with more , use it for, seriously.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Once my Thetford fridge packs up (inevitable) I will be looking to have a Waeco (Dometic?) fridge fitted which uses excess solar electric power when available. I find that my batteries are normally charged up on a sunny day by 10-11am though I do have 4 x 110A batteries and never let them drop below 80%.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes totally agree with you, but from what I have come up with I just can't use 200w so what do people with more , use it for, seriously.
Nothing....solar doesnt run anything, once your batteries are charged anything connected is using battery power and the solar simply tops up what is used by whatever is connected and running.
Again, running something just for the sake of it really is wasteful.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I suppose if you move on every few days you are unlikely to find yourself with flat batteries if you are light users of power.

We are quite heavy users and have a habit of staying put for a while if we like a particular area. That's when our two solar panels and two batteries come into their own.

As long as the sun is shining we can go weeks off hook-up and run TV, Coffee machine, laptop, iPad and phone charging. I can run my little twintub washing machine via the inverter, charge my cordless vacuum cleaner, toothbrushes, Colin's hair clippers, use my hairdryer when I can be bothered. Today I have been cooking and using the food blender to prep ingredients. The van hasn't moved for nearly two weeks and the sun has been working it's magic and refilling our battries everyday. When we think about it we also run the fridge from the batteries during the day. Colin is still to fit the auto change thingy though so we have been caught out by leaving the fridge on 12v too long :rolleyes:

So that's what we use our free electricity for.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
How many leisure batteries have you got?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
With 200w of solar you might want to consider upping your battery bank then, adding another 85amp or replacing them, that way you can at least store, and therefore use, more of the power, rather than it being generated and not used. Just another excuse to spend more money ... :D

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I have a similar query to @chaser - what do people do with their power? We have one 85AmH battery (no solar and no genny) and have yet to run out of power.

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
We have a Waeco fridge which works brilliantly and saves us a fortune on gas.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have a similar query to @chaser - what do people do with their power? We have one 85AmH battery (no solar and no genny) and have yet to run out of power.
Can be done I guess, but you must have a very frugal electric consumption.
Im guessing you watch very little, if any, TV, use minimal lighting (or have led's) and have a convection gas heater rather than blown air....or move a good distance every day.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Can be done I guess, but you must have a very frugal electric consumption.
Im guessing you watch very little, if any, TV, use minimal lighting (or have led's) and have a convection gas heater rather than blown air....or move a good distance every day.
... or use sites with EHU!

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
That's exactly the point, we do have two battery's but have the tv on but not a lot, lights, charge phones and tablets, and never run out but thought it was time to play with solar, and now I have to wonder whatever it's used for, apart from maybe medical equipment, I can't see what you can use it on.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back