Free Member
Mar 12, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Hi,

I am looking to buy a right hand drive Hymer 522 and I am wondering if anyone has any experience of driving a right hand motor home in Europe, or if I should just keep looking till I find a left hand drive one.

Thanks

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
It's like anything, after a while you will get used to it. Just go very very easy, take your time and make good use of your mirrors. Take particular care on roundabouts and at junctions especially when pulling out and turning left across oncoming traffic. If you have someone in the passenger seat they can help you, otherwise pull up at a slight angle so that your visibility to the left is increased.

I lived in France for 10 years and mainly drove my right hand drive UK vehicle there. When I regularly came back to over to the UK I would use my French plated left hand drive car. Mainly to avoid the increasing presence of speed cameras in the UK at that time.

You just get used to changing sides in the car and on the road. The main problem I found occurred late at nights, when you pulled out on a empty road. When there is traffic around you see straight away where to drive. But on an empty road it is easy to pull onto the wrong side of the carriageway. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I would have to think sometimes, where am I?, which side of the road should I be on, to ensure I drove on the correct side.

After a few days there I'm sure you will have no probs.........:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back