Revolut Card

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by dbnosey, May 15, 2016.

1. dbnosey

dbnosey Funster

Sorry to bother you knowledgable people.
    I'm travelling to Italy and have just got a Revolut Card which I will only use whilst away.
    Do I top the card up in GBP or Euro before I go.
    Thank You
    Colin

2. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

I would suggest Euro's as that is what you will be spending .I also always take some cash for emergencies in English and euro's lol

• Like Like x 1
  3. laser101uk

laser101uk Funster

Top up the card in the currency of your debit card, then you can exchange your pounds to euro's or USD on the app whenever you want.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. ivorantony

ivorantony Funster

if the exchange rate is going down then buy euros, if sterling is getting stronger then hold on too the pound and use as you need them,
    you can just leave it in sterling and it will change to euro on every transaction at the best rate at that time,

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. sallylillian

sallylillian Funster Life Member

As others say load with £s and change to Euros when exchange rate suits or you need Euros at the ATM

• Like Like x 1
  6. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

It automatically loads with whatever currency your card is in, so for the UK it will load in £s

It's up to you to convert it to Euros or US Dollars then.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Popeye

Popeye Funster

As Nick has already said, you have no choice but to load it in £sterling, except that you do not have to convert at all, your £ Sterling will automatically convert wherever you spend it at the spot-rate at the time you spend.

Alternatively you can exchange your £Sterling to Euro before that time if you think the rate will only get worse later.

• Like Like x 2
  8. laser101uk

laser101uk Funster

And you can change the euros back to pounds if you wish, if the rates work for you. And use the card fee free in the UK same as abroad, which is one of the reasons I switched from Caxton.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

I changed a lot of my euros back to Sterling making a profit. We don't envisage a return trip to Euroland for a long time so as we already have several hundred€ in cash it made sense to free it up for cash withdrawal or spending in UK.

10. Chaumo

Chaumo Funster

Whatever you do, use it asap to make sure it works in France. It wouldn't work for us even though it did in UK. It can take up to a week to receive a replacement.

11. Sheddy

Sheddy Funster

We use ours for cash from ATMs while away in Spain for the winter. There is a 'fair use allowance' limited to 650 euro a month, as we pay our site fees in cash for a discount we need more than the 650, so now SWMBO has a card which will help.
    I did have my card stolen last year and the service from Revolut to supply me a replacement was excellent, I received the replacement delivered to the campsite with one week.
    Also using the app to block the card when you are not using it is a very good feature.
    Cheers
    Ed