Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
On our recent trip down to Portugal I attempted to use the Revolut card in the auto fuel pumps in French supermarkets. Intermarche, Carrefour and Super U all refused to accept it, even a manned Super U at Chateaudun it was declined at a none auto fuel station.
At ATM's in France and in all Spain & Portugal there was no problem and the card was never declined.
Anyone know why this is?

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Pretty much all currency card providers advise against trying to use their cards for automated transactions.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We've had similar issues with our EasyJet pre paid Euro card.
Could be that processing charges are higher on pre paid cards, or a higher fraud risk.
Cards are not created equally

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
IMG_0009.PNG

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We've had the same with a Caxton card, which works in a similar manner, in quite a few places in France.

What we've discovered is that when the transaction is pre-authorised the retailer actually takes the full amount of the authorised transaction e.g. €99, even if you don't fill up that much. You are then refunded the difference a day or two later (it was actually around a week for us). We have surmised that the majority of automated pump operators either don't want or are not geared up to cope with this so they reject the card. It's for this reason that we now carry several different cards, both debit and credit, as well as a supply of cash. It's a pain but a fact of life.

One of the reasons I never ever let fuel get below quarter unless I'm certain of where I'm going to refuel and am usually looking once the gauge is below half.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
It's something to do with h the way the transaction is pre-authorised.

The way currency cards do it is different to conventional cards.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
I understand now Revolut is a pre paid card

No Auto fuel stations take them in France Spain or Portugal (I've been told) Some French stations have only started taking UK Debit cards in the last three years and some still refuse to accept Some Banks cards

Basically it's better to have at least one Debit/Credit card for fuel

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Keith,
As you live just over the border you will be able to get the Cumberland Building Society Visa Debit card. We use ours all the time when abroad by transferring a couple of hundred pounds into the Cumberland online from the NatWest whenever we need it. The transfer is almost immediate and the Cumberland don't charge you any fees for using it abroad and you get a good rate. We were getting €1.20 before our mishap earlier this month. Has inbuilt security in that you have to tell them online that you are in another country and biggest thing for us is that if the card is lost, stolen or cloned, then you will only lose what is on the card at the time. We have never been declined any payment made from the card.

OP
OP
keith

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Keith,
As you live just over the border you will be able to get the Cumberland Building Society Visa Debit card. We use ours all the time when abroad by transferring a couple of hundred pounds into the Cumberland online from the NatWest whenever we need it. The transfer is almost immediate and the Cumberland don't charge you any fees for using it abroad and you get a good rate. We were getting €1.20 before our mishap earlier this month. Has inbuilt security in that you have to tell them online that you are in another country and biggest thing for us is that if the card is lost, stolen or cloned, then you will only lose what is on the card at the time. We have never been declined any payment made from the card.

Hi Barry, yes I had a Cumberland account before and it was good but switched once I got Revolut but now I am seriously contemplating if I will go back because of these limitations.
I still like the Revolut but clearly it won't do all transactions so needs support from another card as a backup.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back