Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
We are at the CCand C site at Keswick. Hymer just arrived, and I've never seen anyone so cachanded at reversing. Then a caravan had to have an on site tractor to reverse him. I can not believe anyone would drive a vehicle and not be able to reverse.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Sadly there are many people who have difficulty with reversing, perhaps more attention should be made to reversing during the learning to drive and taking a test period. I can reverse most vehicle and trailer outfits and have even managed to reverse a turntable trailer behind a tractor up a narrow alley. I do feel if you are going to tow anything then you should be able to reverse the outfit but there are many people who haven't got the first clue about reversing a trailer outfit.

D.

OP
OP
kcy

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Can I assume you are an excellent driver who has never struggled to reverse? Did you consider offering your help?
Oh yes so would help, i am amazing at reversing, horse boxes, cattle trailers, up for any challenge. My late husband was so proud of my cattle market reversing. I suppose that's why I find it scary that people don't have complete control of their vehicles

Last edited:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Everyone has an off day. The cousins husband drove arctics and wagon and drag and was a good driver. One day had to take a little rigid out , what a mess he made of reversing on to the bay with it . Was ribbed for ages about it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Reversing into narrow or confined spaces can be difficult and sometimes a minor error at the beginning of the manoeuvre c**cks it up for the rest but really, reversing on to a site pitch should be no great effort to someone who chooses to drive their outfit on the road.

Reactions: kcy
Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
You did not say if they were reversing in drivers side,or blind side,unless you do it for a living,blind side reversing can be a bit hit and miss,preferably.....Miss LOL.But,they did not hit anything and if the rear of the caravan was intact,thats one up on the big cheese.(CC best drivers challenge LOL)
Tea Bag

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
lots of people (caravaners) can't reverse with a caravan on the back, we have friends who would just unhitch and push it, but thats not easy either.

Martin

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
When Val used to take our 11 year old and his mates plus a trailer full of mountain bikes to Innerliethan for the day, she used to pull up in the car park, Joe would jump across into the drivers seat and reverse park it for her :)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
@cruiser is an HGV driver and has been known to demonstrate the art of reversing a tractor and trailer*......:whistle:

Used reverse the MH with sailing dinghy without too many issues

* it was a toy one......

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
We've all met someone on a lane who passes the passing place then sit facing you. I find it quicker to reverse 1/4 mile than watch some reverse 50yds.
Why can someone be unable to reverse a small car in a straight line without turning the wheel and riding the verge? Is it because they can't reverse on their mirrors so look over their shoulder and then twist the steering wheel?

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Oh yes so would help, i am amazing at reversing, horse boxes, cattle trailers, up for any challenge. My late husband was so proud of my cattle market reversing. I suppose that's why I find it scary that people don't have complete control of their vehicles
When I first bought a caravan the first thing I did was take it to a car park and practice reversing. The trick of pushing the bottom of the steering wheel in the direction you want the back of the caravan to go I still use today with a trailer.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
my bogeyman is my elder brother if he is anywhere near it all goes to pot you would think @61 i would have grown out of it

OP
OP
kcy

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Sadly there are many people who have difficulty with reversing, perhaps more attention should be made to reversing during the learning to drive and taking a test period. I can reverse most vehicle and trailer outfits and have even managed to reverse a turntable trailer behind a tractor up a narrow alley. I do feel if you are going to tow anything then you should be able to reverse the outfit but there are many people who haven't got the first clue about reversing a
Hi.
You did not say if they were reversing in drivers side,or blind side,unless you do it for a living,blind side reversing can be a bit hit and miss,preferably.....Miss LOL.But,they did not hit anything and if the rear of the caravan was intact,thats one up on the big cheese.(CC best drivers challenge LOL)
Tea Bag
Hi.
Tea Bag
Hi.
You did not say if they were reversing in drivers side,or blind
Hi.
Tea Bag

,unless you do it for a living,blind side reversing can be a bit hit and miss,preferably.....Miss LOL.But,they did not hit anything and if the rear of the caravan was intact,thats one up on the big cheese.(CC best drivers challenge LOL)
Tea Bag
Who the f**k cares who was reversing where, get a grip on your reversing skils

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
Campsites can be a wonderful source of entertainment at times though can't they, I imagine I've caused great laughter at some of my attempted reversing manoeuvres when we were new to caravanning years ago, I would always persevere though!
And who hasn't had their relationship tested when trying to put up an awning with the other half, particularly on a windy day. I find the motorhome much easier but I do drive a vivaro van everyday for work so reversing etc is no great problem, I wonder if all these reversing cameras, sensors etc have helped in making us a little bit lazy in honing our skills, sat navs are the same, I often drive to new job sites dependent on a computerised woman telling me where to go!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
We are at the CCand C site at Keswick. Hymer just arrived, and I've never seen anyone so cachanded at reversing. Then a caravan had to have an on site tractor to reverse him. I can not believe anyone would drive a vehicle and not be able to reverse.
After seeing the state of French/Spanish and Portugese vehicles and driving, UK looks like state of the art compared to that lot.....can anybody find me French car older than 1 month without a bash or scratch on it ?????

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
Who the f**k cares who was reversing where, get a grip on your reversing skils

"YES SIR ! Mr Perfect...........SIR!"! LOL" Perhaps they had been given instructions,by someone with a short.......Fuse?
Calm down dear,calm down,after all, t'was you who raised the point,don't let some bodies short comings spoil your holiday,of course if you have a minute ,you could offer to show them how its done........but then again,leave it until morning,things often don't seem so bad after a good nights sleep.
Tea Bag
Edit. I have read on various M/home forums/ sites "If i meet another vehicle on a narrow lane,i will not back up,and if they insist,i get in the backof the m/home and make a cup of tea,this usually gets THEM ? to reverse...mmmmmm

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Whilst at work a few months ago the record for an artic to reverse into a bay was 36min and that was a Latvian driver

Joe

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
"YES SIR ! Mr Perfect...........SIR!"! LOL" Perhaps they had been given instructions,by someone with a short.......Fuse?
Calm down dear,calm down,after all, t'was you who raised the point,don't let some bodies short comings spoil your holiday,of course if you have a minute ,you could offer to show them how its done........but then again,leave it until morning,things often don't seem so bad after a good nights sleep.
Tea Bag
Edit. I have read on various M/home forums/ sites "If i meet another vehicle on a narrow lane,i will not back up,and if they insist,i get in the backof the m/home and make a cup of tea,this usually gets THEM ? to reverse...mmmmmm
I think you will find its Yes Ma'am Mrs Perfect.

Martin

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
I think you will find its Yes Ma'am Mrs Perfect.

Martin

OOOOOOOOPS...(Thinks quick).
Thank you Martin.it was my attempt to be "Non sexist" you know,PC and all that. I will now have to think of an excuse for using the word Dear..... Thanks again.
Tea Bag the Contrite

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
I've got this reversing lark all sorted............ I jump out and let the wife do it.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If it was a basic straight forward reverse then make the idiot sit his test again.
Sorry, but I am more than fed up having to pick motorcyclists up off the floor who had been hit by car drivers who should not be on tghe road... at all.. not even on a push bike..
Reversing can be a bugger.. But if I lack a skill I practice it.
People nowadays seem to have forgotten that practice, while rarely makes for perfect, impoves someones skill set by a worth while margin !

OP
OP
kcy

kcy

Free Member
Nov 7, 2013
east yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chausson flash
Exp
since 2012
Reversing is about the only thing I'm good at and I practiced as a teenager in a farmyard but if I had to learn now in my 60s I don't think I could, I'd probably be first in line for one of those push button thingies.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back