Reversing Switch 2.8 Jtd Ducato Replacement Oh Joy (1 Viewer)

Sep 25, 2012
West Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
13 Years, 20 years with a caravan
After weeks of thinking about it I thought it was about time I replaced it as I knew what a pain it could be. So yesterday I bit the bullet. Firstly in the vain hope that it may not be the switch I shorted out the wiring at the connector on the bulkhead and the reversing lights worked. Oh well onwards and upwards. Picked up a switch as well as an air filter and fuel filter as I might as well change them also. All going well 20 minutes later switch exposed just after removing air filter box pipes etc. I also removed linkage to clutch. 22 mm deep socket at the ready I only had the connector to the switch to remove. Half an hour later trying to remove it being contorted under the bonnet trying to remove the clip still no joy. Decided to go home for some dinner as I was loosing the will to live. Back down today with a six inch midget to send in to release the connector.
Joy of Joys.
:crying:
Phil.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I didn't think that Boycie actually got his hands dirty, I assumed he would have a Denzel type character to get dirty hands. (y)

trevorf

Free Member
Feb 19, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
If you remove the air filter housing first its not too difficult. I did the same job on my last van a couple of years ago, only took about an hour.
Remove the rubber hoses from the air filter housing then take the top off and air filter out. I think there were three screws holding the housing onto rubber mounts. Once out of the way you have much better access to the reversing light switch. As you say, you do need a long reach socket.
I also changed the gearbox oil and filled up again with a tube and funnel into the reverse light switch hole.

Trevor

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Boycie
Sep 25, 2012
West Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
If you remove the air filter housing first its not too difficult. I did the same job on my last van a couple of years ago, only took about an hour.
Remove the rubber hoses from the air filter housing then take the top off and air filter out. I think there were three screws holding the housing onto rubber mounts. Once out of the way you have much better access to the reversing light switch. As you say, you do need a long reach socket.
I also changed the gearbox oil and filled up again with a tube and funnel into the reverse light switch hole.

Trevor
Hi Trevor,
I have removed the Air filter box and hoses to gain access. The problem I have is taking the connector off. There is a small clip that retains it which is very awkward to access. Once removed I will also replace the gearbox oil with the same method that you used. 2.7 litres is recommended.
Thanks for the info. Wish me luck.
Phil.

OP
OP
Boycie
Sep 25, 2012
West Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I didn't think that Boycie actually got his hands dirty, I assumed he would have a Denzel type character to get dirty hands. (y)
I have got a Denzel type his name is Woody. I thought why not do it yourself ( I know stupid or what ) now I know why I normally pay someone life is to short.
:cheers:
Phil.

Jun 1, 2009
middleton manchester
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
6 years
After weeks of thinking about it I thought it was about time I replaced it as I knew what a pain it could be. So yesterday I bit the bullet. Firstly in the vain hope that it may not be the switch I shorted out the wiring at the connector on the bulkhead and the reversing lights worked. Oh well onwards and upwards. Picked up a switch as well as an air filter and fuel filter as I might as well change them also. All going well 20 minutes later switch exposed just after removing air filter box pipes etc. I also removed linkage to clutch. 22 mm deep socket at the ready I only had the connector to the switch to remove. Half an hour later trying to remove it being contorted under the bonnet trying to remove the clip still no joy. Decided to go home for some dinner as I was loosing the will to live. Back down today with a six inch midget to send in to release the connector.
Joy of Joys.
:crying:
Phil.
its gone on my 2.8 as well being lazy and useless (i know this to be true the wife tells me) booked mine in at fiat £106 all in.

OP
OP
Boycie
Sep 25, 2012
West Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
its gone on my 2.8 as well being lazy and useless (i know this to be true the wife tells me) booked mine in at fiat £106 all in.
Ouch Over 2 hours labour part cost £16 for a trained mechanic it should take 30 minutes at most.
:(

trevorf

Free Member
Feb 19, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Think I paid about £7 on ebay for the new switch.

Good luck Phil, yes those electrical connector are a bit of a pain. I think there is a little locking lug that pulls out with the aid of a small flat blade screwdriver then it just pulls off.
As for the gearbox oil, I drained out the old stuff and measured how much had come out then put back the same amount of new oil.

Trevor

OP
OP
Boycie
Sep 25, 2012
West Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Think I paid about £7 on ebay for the new switch.

Good luck Phil, yes those electrical connector are a bit of a pain. I think there is a little locking lug that pulls out with the aid of a small flat blade screwdriver then it just pulls off.
As for the gearbox oil, I drained out the old stuff and measured how much had come out then put back the same amount of new oil.

Trevor

Hi Trevor all done now managed to get a screwdriver under and it came out. Yes on Ebay you can get them cheaper. I just popped into our local Mill Autos who had everything I needed on the shelf. Fiat would have charged an arm & a leg for what I did. Ok a little longer to remove the switch than it should have taken but in all just over a couple of hours for the lot is not bad. Now for a long cool drink.
:drink:
Phil.

OP
OP
Boycie
Sep 25, 2012
West Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
true don't like paying that much but unfortunately fingers cramp up when i try to do small jobs, medical reasons i'm afraid que sera
Im sorry to hear that it will make it very awkward changing the switch very fiddly.
Phil.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back