Reversing....sensors or camera?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Gary217, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Gary217

Gary217 Funster

This has probably been discussed before but I can't find a thread specifically on it, so apologies if it has already been done. I've only driven a hire car with reversing sensors once and I did like what they did, I've now decided that with a longer van I need a reversing aid, just to make life easier (and safer - I did crump my VWT5's bumper on a BMW...her fault for being behind me IMHO but she didn't see it that way). However, I need to decide between sensors or a camera - I cannot afford both. I like the sensors because they get very very agitated when you get close to an object but with a camera I will get to see behind me.
    My dealer who currently has the van for a little bit of warranty work will do the job for me while it's there - prices seem fair compared to other places and they know camper vans so I'll get them to do it in the next week.
    So...from those with experience of these, which work best for giving you peace of mind - sensors or camera? As a supplementary question, the camera option costs about £120 more - if it is better, is it so much better to be worth that premium?
    I appreciate this will be personal preference but would appreciate your thoughts.
    Thanks

2. Badknee

Badknee Funster

We have a twin camera system that's hard wired rather than wireless. It replaces the interior mirror brilliantly and also changes to directly behind us so I can see exactly what's there.(y)

3. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

We have cameras and sensors !

4. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

when I had my own body shop business , I saw an awfull lot of cars with sensors in their bumpers ,in for repair , id go with the cameras

• Like Like x 3
  5. Southampton

Southampton Funster Life Member

I have the cameras on my 8.7m van (one low angle for reversing and one as a driving camera) I like the cameras because you can see what is behind and not rely on various beeps. It is one of those items that falls under personal preference.

6. lincolnshire lad

lincolnshire lad Read Only Funster

Me too belt and braces every time

7. TheWM

TheWM Read Only Funster

Cameras are great, however, your field of vision is slightly restricted to where the camera is pointed.

For example, when I back onto my driveway, I cannot view the top of my garage and gutter which is what will hit the MH first should I go too far back.

So, I would ask, what is it that you want it for? General reversing (camera), or specific tights spots (sensors)?

The two do work well together, so I'd suggest you think about saving for both if possible.

8. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    Mirrors?:)

• Like Like x 5
  9. BobtheBass

BobtheBass Funster

I have a twin lens camera as well as the factory fitted reversing sensors on my Ford, but the sensors are pretty useless. The (non-adjustable) squeak from the well hidden beeper is so quiet it can only be heard by bats and librarians, so unless you can find a system that's loud enough to scare you if it detects a dwarf wall or a person walking behind your van I would save some money and stick with the camera.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Have a twin camera, doesn't cost that much if you fit them yourself, in the past I've had cheap sensors on cars cost about £25 worked fine.

11. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Decent camera system every time, sensors can give false readings on uneven ground or long grass but you can't misinterpret what you can see.

D.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Malloney

Malloney Read Only Funster

Have sensors on my car and cam on the Moho, at some point I will almost certainly add sensors to Moho. The main gripe I have with the camera is first the perspective and distances of objects in the image are hard to properly judge,and more importantly with bright sunshine towards the camera can make images almost useless and this then makes you loose confidence in some cases . I have never known my sensors to pick up false readings and Trust them 100%. Both are brilliant but imho sensors win

• Like Like x 1
  13. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

This sounds odd, where is your camera mounted, high up or low down? If its high up (where it should be IMHO) then distance judgement is easy because as things get closer they move down the screen. As for sun shining into the cam if its up high and pointing down it would have to be very low sun directly behind to be a problem. If its low down then that's the reason you have a problem on both counts.

D.

14. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Both, Go to Maplins and buy on of their sets, four sensors and they do work. However the cable is short being meant for a car so I bought two spliced the cable for a long van and have the other for the short car. Do not get one if you use a trailer or Toad. The kit was about £29 or so I cannot remember but cheap though.

15. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

If it's a choice - camera - even if you can't judge the distance you can see where you are going.......... and if you are reversing close to a 'drop', sensors would not help

16. Tweedie

Tweedie Funster

Being new to Motorhomes we decided to have a twin lens camera fitted and I must say just how good it is. Has given us confidence of actually seeing what is behind when parking and brilliant as a rear view monitor (we have no window at the rear of the MH) it's a good guide to see what's going on behind, (always remembering that distances can be deceptive when using as rear view mirror) all in all I would say it's definitely high up on 'the 'to have list'.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

Cameras.

You can get a reasonable camera set for a little over £100 I believe. My wireless camera and monitor cost around £40 but I'd prefer a wired camera system with a better image.

18. Malloney

it is a waeco on a blaupunkt screen factory fitted at the top of a coachbuilt so I assume all good quality gear, ime not knocking it at all in fact I love it, but as with any lens on any type of camera regardless of the direction it is pointing bright light / reflections/ and drops of rain water do sometimes have an impact on the quality of an image , and if you can't clearly see everything you can not trust it and a physical check needs doing , but with the sensors after many years of use they have never missed anything. Having said that I will take on board what you have said and will check the down angle (when it gets a little warmer outside ❄️

19. Malloney

Mmmm good point. Just crossed Beachy head cliffs off my must visit list

• Like Like x 3
  20. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

We're in the process of changing our van. The old one had no camera, sensors or rearward vision, apart from the external mirrors. Normally asked nicely if my other half would kindly jump out and see me back when reversing in a tight spot or reverse parking. Always intended to get sensors fitted - which we have back and front on the car - but never got round to it during five years ownership. Thankfully no mishaps.

Now have a panel van conversion on order, which will have some visibility through the rear door windows. Added to which I have specified factory-fitted reversing sensors (Fiat) and camera (Rapido). So belt and braces this time... hopefully!

Reckon it should make things more relaxed, although Mrs MB will miss the opportunity of leaping out... especially when it's pouring with rain. :)

But to answer the OP, we've been very pleased with sensors on the car - even if you do give the occasional false alarm from blades of grass etc. Initially, frightened the life out of me with the loud beeps, but better safe than sorry and now can anticipate most false alarms. Like so many gizmos - how did we ever manage without them? No idea what the camera will be like, but assume it will be good.

Mike