Reversing camera

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by sleep e carr, Dec 16, 2014.

1. sleep e carr

sleep e carr

Has anyone any advise on buying reversing camera for my motor home, I do not want a wireless one, there are so many different one's on the market don't know what one to choose prices range from 23--- 169 pounds advise please I have Talbot Express 20ft long

2. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I had mine supplied and fitted by Dave Newell. He is a member here, does brilliant work and gives a discount to funsters.

3. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

I bought a cheapy, it's not very good. I certainly don't trust it when reversing. You have to be aware that the camera is looking from the centre of your MH and things that it appears to be able to avoid are clearly in danger when you look through your side mirror.

Only use one with great caution is my advice.

4. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

That would blow his budget on fuel alone

• Like Like x 1
  5. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Twin cam kit £169 fleabay
    Just fitted one to new camper also fitted on last one v. Easy to fit

6. sparky

sparky Funster

Hi bought mine off ebay from Hong kong 7 inch monitor good colour picture but you might need a extended lead depending on route of cable also mine is the 5 pin plug version no need for any power to camera I think it cost £60 inc postage

7. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

If purely for reversing? they are unreliable for judging distance unless it is looking down and has your bumper in the frame of view. So you want it ideally to be mounted as high as possibly and a bracket that allows it to be tilted to do the above.

8. Xabia

Xabia Funster

I had an expensive single camera Waeco setup but wanted a twin lens instead, much easier when you have a proper rear view camera whilst driving.

Bought system from www.parkingcameras.com. Superb picture quality and excellent after sales service.

Mike

9. musson

musson Funster

Try DRW electronics on web

10. sleep e carr

sleep e carr

can you tell me how to get hold of this guy, were is he from how much doe's e charge

11. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

He is based in Telford so it's quite a trek from you - although even further from us. I think the total cost was just over £600 which is a lot of money but our motorhome was almost new and we didn't have the time or skill/courage to fit the camera ourselves. Let Dave / Jackie know you are a member and there is a discount :)

email: jackie@davenewell.co.uk

www.davenewell.co.uk
    Dave Newell Leisure Vehicle services
    Unit P Court Works Industrial Estate
    Bridgnorth Road
    Tweedale
    Telford
    TF7 4JB

01952 587702

12. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

You could make use of the trip. Telford has several museums including Blists Hill living museum. You can spend the time going round while he does the job. Also there is a site nearby where you can pitch up if you want to see more of the area. I can endorse Dave Newell's work. He installed mine.

Wyn

13. Peter48

Peter48 Read Only Funster

I have a good but some what moany one (in the rain)... my wife:Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

7" colour screen plus 2 cameras of fleabay £60 been using it for 6 years now and well pleased. I wired it with a switch rather than as a reversing camera and also use it as a rearview mirror. second camera points at the towbar.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

If you can use basic hand tools there are plenty of kits available at very reasonable prices.
    However, if you have any doubts at all about fitting the kit, you will not go wrong by going to Dave ( Newell ).. His work is exemplory and is coupled with a very good customer back up service

I have a two camera system ( most of the time .. but the monitor I use has the ability to display up to four cameras at once and I do sometimes add to the system with a temporary unit if I am going somewhere a bit sussy ! )
    All my cameras are wired so they are on all the time with the ignition.. I like to be able to see as much as possible as much of the time as possible !

16. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

I didn't realise you could get two cameras... Do you switch between them or are they on at the same time. I am planning to start looking in the new year and thinking now I would like one low down to use as a rear view as I'm driving along and one with a wide angle high up looking down for parking..

More toys yay..

17. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

On your monitor ,mirror or dash mount you can have the choice to switch to each camera as required

18. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

If you get a monitor like mine, you can switch it between any one camera, or any two cameras ( split screen ) or indeed display four cameras all at once.
    The monitor I use is a 7" jobby and sits on the dash behind the off side A pillar . It was £109 from David at http://www.drwelectronics.com/

19. gpz

gpz Funster

i have a twin camera system which one camera is on all the time and the other comes on when you put the van in reverse so best of both worlds

20. joncris

joncris Read Only Funster

I have just had fitted a wireless rear cam and because there was no hard wiring to be done it took the engineer approx 25mins to fit AND contrary to what some would say it works a dream. and it cost £35

You'll find it on ebay It clips over the existing rear view mirror. I have mine set up so that it comes on with the ignition as I use it as a rear view mirror and not just a reversing camera.
    Almost forgot it also comes with a small remote control