Free Member
Sep 14, 2011
hampshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since 2006
can you use the reversing camera while you are travelling forwards so you can keep an eye on towcar or other road users behind. If so can you tell us what we need to do.

dennismartin

Free Member
Jul 26, 2011
hull
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
im a newbie
dont know the law but i fixed a wireless one to mine fixed to rear view mirror then wires up to ignition

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Some of the problems with a wireless one is the distance and interference. I am sure they may of improved but generally a fixed unit is a better option but more expensive.

Dave Newal (funster on here) does quite a selection and fits them as well.

I have one which I have hard wired and fitted my self. It is a little flip up monitor so can be discreet when parked up. It takes it's power from my stereo so when I turn my ignition on it becomes live. I use it to do as you say, I use it to see behind, keep an eye on the toad, whilst driving and of course when I want to reverse. If I dont want it I can simply flip it down.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
You are probably thinking of the law regarding viewing a screen while driving, but i,m sure that does not apply here, as you are only viewing the screen when you would be looking in your mirror...but no doubt the legal angle will get addressed by someone.
One tiny bit of advice when fitting the camera, is to get it as high as possible, so it has a good "down" view for reversing. The fool who fitted the one on ours, fitted it to the bumper:Doh: you lose so much as you are waiting for things to "grow" in your vision, that i removed the one fitted.

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
We ,have one that fixes on the rear view mirror , which I think its more natural to look at, being where the rear view mirror normally is. This is hard wired, fixed it my self, which is quite easy , just a case of picking your route, ours was fed through the wall cupboards,.I would not be without when the toad is hooked up. Have look at "parkingcameras.com":thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The answer to your question is yes. Instead of wiring the power via a relay that is activated by your reverse gear you can wire direct to the battery via a simple on/off switch (or any ignition switched power point. As already stated wireless cameras do not cope with the length of a motorhome, plenty of options in ebay with a 7" screen and multi input options from £60

bmb1uk

Free Member
Jan 1, 2010
LEICS
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
we have fitted a wired motorized reversing camera.has a button on dash,so it points down to see bumper area, then up to travel, has a 7'' monitor fixed to rearview mirror cost fitted £300

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
It is perfectly ok to use a rear view camera system while driving forwards. My only concern is that your Autotrail Navajo's factory fitted reversing camera system has quite a large monitor mounted in the cab roof. My experience of such setups is that the monitor is overly large and in a position that makes it difficult, if not actually dangerous, to use while driving. How to switch the cam system on for driving will depend on what year your motorhome is.

D.

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
I have a reversing camera which came already installed when i bought the mh, it has a mind of its own comes on when start the van and stays on when driving which was handy, but it comes on and off when it feels like so ive put a cover over it and no longer bother with it. Not sure of make but it looks like russian menu ? is it easy to trace cables to see if loose connections as its dash mounted and the wires disappear underneath it. any ideas ?

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Parking-cameras.com
Buy yourself a twin camera one looks at the towbar the other back down the road and your car trailer if positioned correctly I think I paid £200 including cables with screw type waterproof joints and 7" monitor you can switch between the two.

Jerrymjj

Free Member
Apr 3, 2014
Alton Hants
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker SE
Exp
Newbie!
I can view our factory fitted reversing camera when travelling forward simply by selecting the right input but it is pointing almost straight down, to facilitate reversing... so following vehicles would have to be awfully and stupidly close to be seen....

O

Old Soldier

Deleted User
I bought a reversing camera kit on eBay. Brand new, wireless transmission, two input channels. All up £36. Fitted it myself, works fine. Sometimes get some interference when driving along but soon goes. Works great as both a reversing camera and a rear view mirror.
P.S. On the second Input I can pick up satellite TV, not all channels, depends on what direction I'm driving..........:think:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have a twin camera set up, wired via a changeover switch so I can easily select which camera quicker and safer than trying to do it on the touch screen. I don't use it much as I prefer the satnav screen to be on (monitor is my stereo/satnav unit.).

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
If you want a camera that can be both used for reversing and a rear view mirror you really need a twin camera. The one for reversing points down, so you can see the rear of your vehicle and the rear view one should point horizontally so you can see the traffic behind you. You can buy twin cameras on one mount for this.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
upload_2016-4-17_18-4-51.jpeg

(OP Sept 2011)
(we have twin cameras)​

Last edited:

ebikejohn

Free Member
Dec 11, 2015
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2006
I've got a single camera with a Pioneer double din head unit fitted by Van Bitz Taunton, it's perfect for both watching the trailer I tow and for reversing, wide angle lens with no noticeable distortion (I assume it is digitally corrected), not cheap but an excellent piece of kit with Blueetooth Streaming, Handsfree, DAB and MP3 etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back