Reversing camera

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Bryan, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Bryan

Bryan Read Only Funster

I have bought an in-dash flip out screen and now need a reversing camera for it (deja-vu, anyone:Wink:).

The last time I did this I paid about £80 for the camera with 20 metres of power/video lead.

It was a good camera but as with all things I'd like to see if anyone can recommend an alternative for me to consider.

TIA

Bryan

2. kands

kands Read Only Funster

And then they sold the RV :Laughing::Laughing::Laughing::Laughing:

Keith

3. Bryan

Bryan Read Only Funster

Had to, the waste tank was full :Tongue:

4. fordy

fordy Deleted User

Hi Bryan i fitted a wireless system to my RV very happy with, it just needs power for the rear camera which i picket up from the light in the over bed cupboard, then the pickup unit in the front. I had trouble at first but it was just that i had to get a clean power supply for the screen, and the side camera i made out of some 32mm pipe and a small reversing camera i think the wireless one was around £60.00 and the small wired reversing one was £15.00 both off eBay, plus the wireless has the night vision built in. the only thing that gave me a shock was when in some motorway services i thought i had lost the bikes:Eek!:but the wireless camera was picking up the feed from the car park security camera if you park to close to them:Laughing:it took a few minutes to suss it tho ..

FORDY:Smile:

5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

No that could be disastrous, looking at your camera and seeing lots of space, when you in fact are tight. The crunch would come as a shock to say the least. :Laughing::Laughing:

6. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

I have a wireless one to fit (came with the RV) so how about a reversing camera fitting meet:Laughing::Laughing:

7. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Frown: Just a point with reversing Cameras? The first time I had EVER used one was our first night out of Florida and into Georgia. I had driven until 9pm and the weather was not too good. I pulled into a Flying 'J' Truck stop to fill up and park up for the night. After several trips around the parking area. I saw where a Class 'C' had parked with his rear end over the kerb and over the grass. That looked like a perfect place to park because the length of the parking spaces was not very long. I pulled forwards of the Class 'C' and started to reverse into a perfect position.

BANG????????????????? What he )"&)("&. Lucky I was only going VERY slow. I jumped out to investigate. :Err:
    There was a BLACK lampost 2ft inboard of our rear Fibreglass bumper. :Frown:
    Didn't see it on the Camera and even when I got back in I STILL couldn't see it.
    So just be AWARE. Cameras are only an aid when the conditions are near perfect. IMH&HO. :Laughing:

8. fordy

fordy Deleted User

good point john JSW i use my one more to keep an eye on the tow or the bikes, another thing is to have a screen that you can flip the view so it is mirrored
    other wise it can be confusing :Eek!:but i find them very handy i also fitted one of the reversing bleeper bulbs just in case no one notes a 30ft 7.5ton RV backing up:Laughing:

FORDY:Cool:

9. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Cool: It is also hadny for keeping an eye on any tailgaters. :Wink:

10. fordy

fordy Deleted User

I do find my self looking watching others on my tail,:Laughing: but the side camera is the best bit of kit so far it give me such a good view from the front wheel down the side i can change lanes without crushing a smart car :Embarrassed:had a few close ones i just couldn't see small cars down in the blind spot front side all looked clear indicator on another look no cars in the blind mirror pull out then a loud horn :Err:
    :Laughing::Laughing:

11. Road Runner

I have just had mine installed and not happy thus far.

Will check out the clean power issue thanks Gary.

12. justme AKA Grath

justme AKA Grath BANNED

Last van

WE had one on our last m/h and as an LGV driver I thought that I would never use it! (Mirrors quite good enough)
    BUT, I did, just for the last few inches when reversing up to a wall or similar.
    ALSO, it had sound and I always felt happier when reversing on a campsite as I could hear if anyone was walking behind on gravel or Kids playing. Quite usefull.
    Not got one on my recent purchase, but I might at a later date.:Frown:

13. fordy

fordy Deleted User

what type do you have john RR can you change the Chanel on the receiver switch type or has it got a knob type tuner if this is not your problem it may be the display screen power this is more a constant fuzz the tuning is like fading in and out let me know your symptoms :Err:

14. Road Runner

It's a US one MTV 5277

It's got a remote control.

15. fordy

fordy Deleted User

Looks good john RR i see it has AV x 2 but i was on about the camera i take it it is a wireless one you can tune them in to other channels from the receiver unit ?or is it a wired one in witch case it is probably the power to the screen or picking up interference from the engine is the problem when the engine is running?

16. Road Runner

Guy that fitted it seems to have lost the destructions:wub:he has wired the camera into the rear bed light unit with an on/off switch.

I only seem to see one area.

I would like to see the rear offside.

Oh how i wished i could do these jobs myself:Embarrassed:

17. fordy

fordy Deleted User

That would need you to move the camera to get the view that suits you sir :BigGrin:That is if you have a camera that you can move up down etc