reversing camera 'rear view mirror'

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by mentaliss, Feb 1, 2013.

1. mentaliss

mentaliss

Has anyone out there got a 'rear view mirror' type display instead of a the usual separate monitor or media display?
    If so, can you advise about the positives and negatives..... my vehicle is a Swift Bolero 600ek yes, I know this model come's fitted with a reversing camera system as standard (Blaupunkt Radio reversing camera/sat nav)...but the system is in my opinion awful, I dont want the rear view camera as a reversing camera as my bikes and gull wing rear bar/Tow box block the view but I would like to see what's behind me, for instance, a motorcycle that my side mirror's cant see...anybody???:thumb:

2. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I suppose it depends on whether you actually have a view in the mirror, in which case you may want to keep it.
    Neither my present van, or the one before, had a rear window so the rear view mirror was redundant, and actually the current van doesn't even have one.
    A monitor where the mirror was, is in a natural position, where you'd expect to see a rear view so if it fits (take care with a drop down bed) it's probably a good idea.:thumb:

3. mentaliss

mentaliss

thanks, perhaps you misread:
    ....... as a reversing camera as my bikes and gull wing rear bar/Tow box block the view but I would like to see what's behind me, for instance, a motorcycle that my side mirror's cant see...anybody???

4. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi, I had similar problem with my Autocruise Starfire Basically same model as yours end kithen,as back box obscures high level reversing camera, I got another camera from Sargent and had it fixed along side the number plate ,it gives me a good view of whats behind. I checked with Sargent about the existing wiring and they said there is a connection somewhere near the electric step. So I / dealer got the 6 pin din cable from Swift to connect the new camera, leaving the existing cable to the upper camera in place also the upper camera. So at a later date I could revert back if I got rid of the back box/ bike rack.
    Terry:sin::sin:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  5. mentaliss

mentaliss

Thats well convenient however there is no provision for a electric step system on the Bolero 'John Cross' confirmed that the plastic moulded step well is not strong enough to support a installation of a electric step .. but I'm sure I could build a Marine Ply box section to replace the plastic mould step well and then fit a electric step...sorry I'm diversing, still don't know if there is power there as you describe

6. SandJ

SandJ Read Only Funster

Hi
    Have you joined

http://www.swift-talk.co.uk/forum

You should get help on there

I have the rear view mirror display attachment and the original camera pointing down, I also have another camera facing the rear to do as you say. Swift on above site should be able to help you :thumb:

7. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi Mentaliss, slight misunderstanding.
    No! the camera cable is completely seperate, I only mentioned the step as thats where the join in the cable is near to fit the extra cable for new camera.
    I have actually a mirror monitor which was original fitment , but I would ask Swift if your existing camera has a similar break/connection near the rear of the van which you could connect an extra camera in place of your existing camera in a position of your choice either on the van back wall or the bike rack this would then save you buying and remounting your monitor in the cab.
    Terry:sin:

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Fit a high level camera......only thing to stop a good rear view would be to tow a caravan :Laughing:

9. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Most 'reversing cameras' are not really suitable for use as a replacement mirror as the view they give is far too wide angle

From a great deal of experiment I have found the ideal focal length for a camera that will give you a very similar view to the human eye and a standard rear view mirror is 16mm ( most 'reversing' cameras are about 6 to 8mm )

I use a water proof surveillance camera mounted high up on the back of the van.., gives a great view :thumb:
    It was £60 from fleabay

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  10. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

duplicate post

11. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

Hello there I have one of these fitted that I mainly use as a means of seeing what is behind me , I didn't connect up to the reverse gear switch instead wired it to a switch on the dash so it can be on all the time I want it. it is pretty good quality wired system and I paid around £170 with the camera etc. It is handy to have but sometimes it can be distracting.
    http://www.park-safe.co.uk/ps7006.aspx

12. MrJinks

MrJinks Read Only Funster

Hi, I have one of these fitted and is a brilliant bit of kit. Although it's primary use is as reversing camera, I like to keep it on permanantly when driving and use it as rear view mirror. Any extra eyes behind me always useful.
    My particular model also has a microphone which is invaluable when being directed for reversing/parking even if I do hear the names I am being called.
    :Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Worked fine on my Autocruise
    [​IMG]

14. lorger

lorger Funster

Is it legal to view a monitor or camera while driving, i suppose a sat nav is classed as one. I know you can't view a monitor while driving so just wondered if this was a monitor/tv

15. Techno

YES it is a safety aid

• Like Like x 1
  16. pudseykeith

pudseykeith Read Only Funster

Wireless rear view

Hi Andy. What is the make and model of the rear view camara in your picture. Is it a wireless type. We have a wirered one for reversing, but dont fancy rolling out an other cable down the length of the rig.
    Regards Pudseykeith .

17. Techno

It's a £25 china eBay special . No it isn't wireless. I have a spare unused if anyone wants to collect it for same price

18. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

One of ours also had a speaker at the rear-and all and sundry could hear the comments I was making at the instructions I was getting when being directed by someone who stood where I couldn't see them :Doh:

Mike.

19. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

I like to keep camera 'on' all the time-but we have had problems with cameras being too wide angle,showing too much sky,and adjusting the image automatically so that they are very dark on a bright day.
    Does a 16mm camera help with that problem ?

Mike.

20. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Completely eliminates the problem :thumb: