Reversing camera questions re monitor and lens

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by stevec, Aug 12, 2014.

1. stevec

stevec Funster

I'm thinking of getting a reversing camera to fit in the MH (I might stop spending after that....might!). What are people's thoughts on position of the monitor?(mirror mount or dash mount). I have a window in the back so do use the existing mirror, although it doesn't show much. I want to fit a twin camera system. Also I have been reading about different lens angles. What is recommended for "rear view" (as opposed to "reversing") lens angle?
    Current thinking is something along the lines of this:
    http://shop.reversingcamerasuk.com/...6294_shop/Products/HD706/SubProducts/HD706W5m

2. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

3. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

Good kit on ebay which is wireless so don't need to run cables through the van

£45 including delivery been one on my sisters van for a year works perfect :)

4. stevec

stevec Funster

Tambo..still need to get power from somewhere so thats a wire. Twin camera wireless?

5. leeboy

leeboy Read Only Funster

Stick to a hard wirred system, much more reliable. fitted a 2 camera system withe mirror mounted monitor, absolutely fantastic as a rear view mirror replacement even in the rain.
    Lee.

6. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Have the twin cam hard wired with 7" mirror mount as stated previous fabulous bit of kit with no rear windows have perfect vision rear view

7. mentaliss

mentaliss

Over the last several years and (three motorhomes) I bought reversing cameras from the above mentioned.......make sure you chose the Sony CCD camera, I found the rear view mirror fit best for my purposes, the last system I bought was the Sony twin camera...one for rear view, one for reversing...one issue should be mentioned if you have a fitted rear bike rack with the bikes attached plus a bike cover the reversing camera view can be obstructed
    you can always fit a small bullet camera lower down on the body mounted to avoid the bikes and fit a single camera as high as possible on the body for your rear view purpose...one last comment you don't need to spend hundreds of pounds:)

8. Inthezone

Inthezone Read Only Funster

I have a similar camera set up to the one in your link, except that I went for internal mirror mount only because it was already there and when I drive I was glancing at it periodically even though all I saw was the rear bedroom!!. now with the monitor there I can switch between rear view and reversing (which enables me to keep an eye on the smart car) but I did have it done by a company as I didnt have the time to do the work myself although its very easy to do.

9. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

Yes a live and negative feed from stereo or cigarette lighter is a big difference from running an 8 mm thick cable from front to rear of van for video feed and still have to connect power at either end

Not to mention the £150 saving ....its a single camera but i guess they probably do twins too although not sure why 2 is required ......i don't have any on mine I just use the mirrors ......oh and good driving :p

10. stevec

stevec Funster

I have a bike rack on the back but don't use a cover. Is it just the cover thats the problem? I've not looked down from the roof when the bikes are on to see just how much of an obstruction it all is.

11. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

The kit you linked to with the twin camera and monitor is also on ebay with either rear mirror monitor or 7 inch dash monitor for £169 free postage

12. stevec

stevec Funster

Thanks tambo. I have certainly found one very like it for £169. But lower res monitor, bracket not stainless and non waterproof connectors. Also don't know much about Sharp CCD cameras. the one I'm looking at is a Sony CCD.

EDIT: Just found a hi res one at that price...there's a lot there.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  13. mentaliss

mentaliss

Please bear in mind that if there is no bike rack cover (fiamma or what ever) the camera if fitted correctly will 'see' down between the bike rack and the rear panel of the van...But therein lies another problem that is the projection of the bike rack off the body, the camera's distorted view can't detect this distance so without due diligence you could make contact with an obstruction , so even with a reversing camera system, care and if possible, wife :D may still required....my partial fix to this problem was to fit reversing sensors ( audible bleep with count down indicator fitted above rear view mirror:cool:

14. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

15. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

I bought from this company last October and they were great to deal with. I wanted a roof mounted monitor as thought too much 'gubbins' already on the dash (tyre pal, sat nav etc) and internal mirror not an option because of blinds. I did have a problem with the monitor after about a month but the company replaced it without question. I have the twin camera fitted and no problem when the bike is on the rack, just the reversing sensors are constant bleep - mine is a tow bar cycle rack.

16. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

I bought a hard wired twin camera system from DRW electronics, cost about £110 and works fine, it’s not hi def, widescreen or panavision 3D, it does what it’s supposed to, lets me see what’s going on behind the van. We carry bikes with no cover and when it’s on the “close up reversing” camera, you do see a lot of the bikes, but you still see what’s directly behind you too. Wouldn’t be without it.