Reversing camera double use? (1 Viewer)

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
I have often wondered why reversing cameras don't have some way of moving them into 2 positions, one for reversing and another as a rear view. Its probably illegal but it feels like a good idea.

What do you think

Doug...

Kon tiki

Free Member
Oct 11, 2007
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
20+
There are some cameras that have both a reversing camera & rear view one built in to the one housing. Why would you think it was illegal? You can have the camera doing any job you like it is just an aid. I don't believe there is any requirement for any revering camera only that you have to have wing mirrors.

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
I have often wondered why reversing cameras don't have some way of moving them into 2 positions, one for reversing and another as a rear view. Its probably illegal but it feels like a good idea.

What do you think

Doug...

You can buy Monitors that take up to 4 camera's..............or if your very handy with micro-sevo's you could easily knock one up that moves remotely :Smile:

Boo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Douglas

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Why would you think it was illegal?

Well! I think anything which obstructs the drivers view is illegal. that an MOT issue also
and I believe that no video screens should be in such a position that the driver can view it, which could of course make navigators illegal on two counts.

I'm not sure on this so I thought it would be a good item for discussion.

Doug...

S

Shubberdog

Deleted User
How dose a screen differ from an internal mirror? :whatthe:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
On most modern RV's it is perfectly possible and legal to have a fourway split monitor accommodating four cameras.

One screen is the left-hand front wing camera which replaces the left-hand wing mirror during the day (it gets dazzled by headlights at night or in the rain) - put your left-hand indicator on and the left-hand camera comes on and shows you an absolutely blind-spot free view down the side of the RV. A legal requirement nowadays in large vehicles is a 'blind-spot' free sideways rear view.

The second screen is the right-hand front wing camera (ditto above)

The third screen is the reversing camera - comes on when reverse gear is selected.

The fourth screen is the wide screen rear-view camera used for checking the condition of the 'toad'.

I think that cameras and associated monitors are counted as safety equipment rather than 'entertainment' equipment and as long as you do not have your monitor plugged into a DVD player - you are totally legal.

Just look at the front side and rear end of many, many lorries and coaches nowadays to see just how widespread reversing cameras have become.

Last edited:

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
They are on my wishlist...............I want one in each waste tank too so I know when they are full :winky: (as these stupid stupid sensors are crap!!.........how do you clean those things anyway?)

Oooops............hijacking the post again :Doh:

Boo

daveyboy

Free Member
Mar 2, 2009
cambs
Funster No
MH
rv
Exp
as far as i am aware you cannot have a reversing camera monitor or rear view display mounted within the swept area of the windscreen. its an mot fail.
cars and trucks have failed mots because satnavs have been left in the swept area.
my old truck some years ago had a monitor on the dash and nothing was ever said.
my new one has it mounted high up over the windscreen and its facility to be left on permanent has been disabled because its a mot fail.
just take a look at cars with dash mounted tv,s. they do not work when the vehicle is is motion, unless someone has tampered with it.
now tbh the ministry are probably not that interested in motorhomes but they are pulling up trucks left and right because of all the crap they have in the windscreen, wether its sat navs, open laptops and dream catchers.
if they were having a quiet day they could target mh,s.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Daveyboy

In nearly every RV that I have looked at - the reversing screen is built into the dashboard - below the level of the dash top - or in the case of some of the C Class RVs it is mounted behind the drivers sun visor and is only visible when the sun visor is pulled down.

I cannot see any reason why it should be mounted in the swept area of the windscreen when we have acres of unswept glass ahead of us.

The big boys toys mounted in the Fleetwood 40ft'ers is connected to the DVD and TV stations but it has a built-in chip which cuts the picture down to a thumbnail - impossible for the driver to see - when the ignition is switched on.

robandwendy

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
SOUTHAMPTON
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
6 YEARS
A reversing camera is connected to the power from your reversing light. If you power it from your ignition system the camera will work as a rear view camera and be live whenever you turn the ignition on. The monitor for mine is stuck to the windscreen where a rear view mirror is normally fitted and works a treat.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
You can buy movable reversing camera's and also telephoto one's, Sony do them I believe, expensive though, I just bought two cheapy's, one looks straight down, the other looks down the road. The monitor has two inputs, so you just select which one you want to use.

Very handy for reversing up to walls ect, and the other's good for keeping an eye on the trailer and traffic behind you.

Olley

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
They are on my wishlist...............I want one in each waste tank too so I know when they are full :winky: (as these stupid stupid sensors are crap!!.........how do you clean those things anyway?)

Oooops............hijacking the post again :Doh:

Boo

Just to let you know the answer is ICE CUBES. :Eeek:

If you want to clean your tank sensors then just before you go out on the road, empty the black tank and give it a good flush. Then fill with about 10 gallons fresh clean water and two bags of ice cubes from your local frozen food dealer.

As you drive around, the water softens the 'solids' sticking to the sensor glass and the ice cubes slosh about and gently remove it.

After a reasonable journey, the sludge is all at the bottom of the tank, the ice cubes will have melted and you should have clean sensors! :thumb:

That cleanliness will last about three or four days, if you are lucky!:Sad:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
got mine on the dash,
no restricted vision or MOT issues.

it has two inputs but i only use one......too tight to buy a second camera:Blush:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back