Reversing beeper Bulbs? (1 Viewer)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
My good lady came across these whilst browsing and suggested we get a couple. Seem a good idea anyone tried them?

Link Removed

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Only problem is you cannot switch them off which would be a major annoyance to people on site early /late in the day

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
i had one on one of the vans i had did the job if some one standing behind the van soon moved them :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
My good lady came across these whilst browsing and suggested we get a couple. Seem a good idea anyone tried them?

Link Removed

Trivial point but I think they are legal only in commercial vehicles. Not sure about MHs. I can see the point, too many of them and they become useless, go in any busy factory and witness this.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I had the on my RV and the were not load enough..............:Sad:

and no my RV was not noisy.....................:roflmto:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Fitted two in our last van but had to keep asking the wife if they were working as I could never hear em, but then I am a bit mutton geoff :ROFLMAO:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I had one put into my car because French people do not seem to understand the concept of reversing lights + moving car = car MOVING BACKWARDS!!!
Even with the beeper fitted I had a woman walk behind the car with her child. I feel that at least I'm giving them fair warning but I've no idea why reversing vehicles seem to bewilder so many pedestrians in the Dordogne!

P.S Took 2 minutes to fit, is not really loud, not loud enough to annoy anyone anyway.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
really they are not worth the money.
as said you cannot turn them off at night which if you are reversing into a pitch late at night they can be a real pain.

if you want a reversing bleeper get a proper one fitted and connected through a switch so it can be turned off at night.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Must admit, had them in one of my motors some time ago and it saved me a fair few bob !

In to reverse, just as I started to move a chap started shouting and waving

Some turd had lain a push bike behind my car, in the road and completely unseeable ( if there is such a word ! )

Chap said he heard the beep and looked over.. if there had been no beep that putride pile of poo of a bike would have done lord knows how much damage to my rather nice custom paint job along the back skirt

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Regulation 99 Road Vehicles

Use of Horns and Alarms
Regulation 99 Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 states that horns and other warning instruments must not be used:

when the vehicle is stationary (other than an emergency involving another vehicle, a reversing alarm or a boarding aid alarm), or
in motion on a restricted road between 2330 hours and 0700 hours.

[HI]No person shall sound or cause or permit to be sounded on a road a reversing alarm or a boarding aid alarm unless it is fitted to:

a goods vehicle having a maximum gross weight not less than 2000kg,
a bus, engineering plant, a refuse vehicle or a works truck.[/HI]

They must not emit a sound likely to be confused with that from a pedestrian crossing. A boarding aid alarm means an alarm for a power operated lift or ramp fitted to a bus to enable wheelchair users to board and alight and designed to warn persons that the lift or ramp is in operation.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I had one put into my car because French people do not seem to understand the concept of reversing lights + moving car = car MOVING BACKWARDS!!!
Even with the beeper fitted I had a woman walk behind the car with her child. I feel that at least I'm giving them fair warning but I've no idea why reversing vehicles seem to bewilder so many pedestrians in the Dordogne!

P.S Took 2 minutes to fit, is not really loud, not loud enough to annoy anyone anyway.

LOL Pauline ! I see what you mean ! I had those fitted on my car (Skoda) and it was in 1996 . Nobody knew what they were. Each time i was going out (reversing that is) of a parking place , they seemed to think that i was robbing the car and were automaticaly standing behind the car! :Doh::Doh: when they stopped working i didn't replace them, but it was not that noisy anyway!!::bigsmile:

Frankie:Smile:

CC1

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
Fife
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Have these on my van , better safe than sorry:thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I bought one at Lincoln show this year, it didn't work so took it back , now thats stopped working so back to proper bulbs :Smile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
And of course you must not exceed any speed limits, never drop litter, report any person you see doing anything illegal ( yes, that is now a law ) ..

I suspect fitting something to aid safety and is fairly innocuous to say the least is not likely to be high on the police most wanted list

I keep meaning add em to this van but somehow never get round to it..

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Waste of time

I first purchased them from Camping World in the USA for my day van... worked for a short time and gave up.. was not much use at all.

I see that windowscreen car that drives around the sites like a vulture trying to repair chips sells them as well now. If you have an Motorhome or an RV fit a proper truck one if you are over 2,000 kgs ... there are models that you can hush the unit at night.

Me? I have a backup camera and reversing sensors that beep to me in the cab.. plus some good mirrors.. seems to work OK.

Bob

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Personally, I can see them being the possible cause of an MOT failure. A...because they are not compliant under the vehicle construction and use regs, for the types of vehicle we are all referring to, and B...because they won't be switched.

However, I do see them as a good road safety aid, and would prefer to have them fitted myself.

Regards,

Jock.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not an MOTable item Jock

Uses and construction regs has little to do with the MOT ( thank gawd ;-) )!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Not an MOTable item Jock

Uses and construction regs has little to do with the MOT ( thank gawd ;-) )!
Thanks for putting me right on that one John, but surely if they are fitted to anything other than HGV/LGVs and PSV/PCVs, and not switched separately, the rules are being broken somewhere along the line. :winky:

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Oh yes.. completely agree Jock..

OK,,,,, HID headlights are illegal in motorcycles
In fact they are illegal in ANY vehicle that does not have self levelling headlight units fitted

Yet all and sundry agree they make a considerable and worthwhile difference to the incidences of SMIDNY accidents ( Sorry Mate, I Did Not See You ) so are pretty much ignored by police VOSA and all other interested parties

So yes, of course a rule is broken and indeed, a law is being broken too, but as to whether anyone would actually get nicked for it is quite another matter ( for the same reason as the HID's .. the beeper enhances the safety margins )

I would suggest that a big lorry one ( Very loud !! ) would certainly attract the wrong sort of attention, but the rather weak, innocuous beeping those things put out are not quite in the same league :winky:
In other words, like so many things.. tis a matter of common sense, and fortunately we are, in general, gifted with a police force infested with folk who are pretty darned bright and can usually think for them selves :thumb:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
I keep pondering the beeper subject after getting a couple of those bulbs as a 'freebee' with a lookdown mirror a while back, but as per folks above the being able to switch it off thought crossed my mind. Not rocket science, chilling in you MH of an evening you really want to here BEEP BLOOMIN BLEEP, to upset your peice, and for us at 28 ft, I really can't be a$$$d with crawling the lenght of the RV with another cable just now.

But, sourcing may be fun but, Ring do one of these widgets, an RRA32 I believe, and it has obviously a connection to the reversing lights but also one to the side lights, side on beeper off, easy solution me thinks, and don't look to be particularly dear:thumb:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I have tried a number of versions, the first one was just a bleeper unit which wired into the reversing lamp circuit and also the side/tail lights thus when lights were on the bleeper was disabled.. Then I bought a bulb type unit which silenced in the same way,that went when I sold the van. I then bought one from Tescos in Prague yes Prague it was a bulb/buzzer unit and you silenced it by engaging reverse twice to silence it that also went with the van.
I think they are extremely useful as it draws numpties attention to where the sound is coming from,reversing lights don't seem to notify some people!.
Prior to fitting these I always gave a toot on the horn before reversing!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I had a Ring one years ago and it was very useful. Easy to fit and if I didn't want it to bleep, just turned on the sidelights while reversing.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back