Mark5204

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Hi. I am sure this has been discussed before so apologies. We are new to MH and have just came back from a weekend away at a site in UK ,
Upon connecting to EHU our reverse polarity illuminated on our Sargent charger box. It was however fine at home on EHU.
I ended up swapping the blue and brown wire over in on of the plugs and all was then fine with Reverse polarity light now extinguished. Was this acceptable to do? Would I need to keep doing this on various sites? Thanks in advance. Our Motorhome incidentally is a 2004 Swift Kon tiki.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You need to make up a short reversed polarity cable so that you can use this with your existing correctly wired cable. You just need the 2 end connectors and a piece of the same cable, then when wiring it up reverse the 2 cables, as you had to do for your temporary fix, in one of the connectors.

A - Reverse polarity correction cable.jpg

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
Mark5204

Mark5204

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
You need to make up a short reversed polarity cable so that you can use this with your existing correctly wired cable. You just need the 2 end connectors and a piece of the same cable, then when wiring it up reverse the 2 cables, as you had to do for your temporary fix, in one of the connectors.

View attachment 63494

Thank you for your reply. How would I tell when hooking up if this cable would be necessary. At home on EHU all is fine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thank you for your reply. How would I tell when hooking up if this cable would be necessary. At home on EHU all is fine.
The same way you already knew that you had reverse polarity on the site ... your Sargeant charger box would show the little light. Alternatively you can use the below 'red' tester (item 1) along with a 3-pin socket (item 2) and if you also get a continental adaptor (item 3) you can use this abroad too for either reversed or correct polarity EHUs:

G - Testing continental hook-up point.jpg

Deleted User
Is there a problem with having reverse polarity other than a safety issue though the RCD should provide protection in any case.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Is there a problem with having reverse polarity other than a safety issue though the RCD should provide protection in any case.
Only if you work on an appliance without unplugging first.

Switching off isn't enough as you are switching the neutral wire, not the live wire which will still be live.

Electric is reversed half the time anyway....that's why it's call....ALTERNATING CURRENT ... or AC for short

120v+/0v/120v-......50 times per second

rupert

Funster
Nov 23, 2014
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
caravaning on and off 10 years
not sure how reverse polarity is detected with AC .but i have found this light is illuminated if you plug in with a poor earth

Deleted User
My understanding is that the neutral is earthed at the generator side so should be of similar voltage to a local earth e.g. in a house you have an local earth rod.
The RCD will trip if the current flowing though the live and the neutral is different.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back