Reverse switch location help please.

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Ralph-n-Bev, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

During our recent Mot i was advised that we had no reverse lights on our Ducto based motorhome.It still passed the test but i would like to fix the problem while i have it out of storage prior to our new year trip.

I have checked the obvious like bulbs and fuses but they are all ok. The only thing i think it can be is the engine switch which i am trying to locate.

The vehicle is a 2006 model, anyone have any idea where i can find it please ???.

Thanks.....Ralph

2. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Hi,

I had the same issue on my old van. This was a 2.0JTD but other engines have had a similar problem. The reversing light switch on top of the gear box has probably failed; it seems to be a fairly common failure. Easy to fix by buying a new switch on line (not expensive), and reaching down or up to get at it - as you look down into th engine bay, it should be on the right hand side but you need long arms (and as I recall a deep 22mm socket) to get at it.

Hope that helps

3. spannermanwigan

spannermanwigan Read Only Funster

Last edited: Dec 29, 2011
  4. fusbill

fusbill Read Only Funster

I'm another one who had the same problem when my 2.3lts 2003 model had the same problem when it was about 4 years old. It was the switch.

As others have said I was told it is quite common.

fusbill

5. madbluemad

madbluemad

Cant help with your switch but my mh failed the mot because the rear fog lamp was faulty.

You were lucky that it passed the mot. So much for the integrity of testers.
    Jim
    :Smile:

6. BionicPixie

BionicPixie Read Only Funster

Reversing lights do not form any part of the MOT test. So if it does not work there is no reason for a vehicle to fail. Whereas the rear fog light is a defined part of MOT as are 'directional lights' (indicators) and number plate lights.
    The garage can only advise you but is not even required to enter it as an 'advisory' note on your MOT paperwork.
    a useful reference site .... http://www.motester.co.uk/MOTQuiz.aspx gives some quirky answers!
    http://www.motuk.co.uk/default.asp the manual gives all information needed

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Thats right, the examiner said it wasn't a requirement of the Mot but did log it on my paperwork.

Thanks for all your helpfull comments and pictures, i will have a nosy in the morning before we head off to Pickering :driving2: for the new year.

:thanks:......Ralph

8. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

9. madbluemad

madbluemad

My apologies, I read "Reversing Lights" as "Fog Lights". Got fog lights on the brain.
    Jim
    :Smile:

10. lunarman

lunarman Funster

Does anyone know which fuse feeds the reversing lights on a 2.8 fiat? It is not in the use manual:Sad: