Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi scohjac ,thats what i use nearly all the time .light warmth n kills moszies. you can still buy new gas lights truma make them if my memories right. wouldnt think of building expedition trucks with out them. mantles do bust when going off road though lose about 4 every winter. but do go crazy routes.they make a nice cosy light everybody remarks when they see them. cheers alan.

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
Must have been on about 12 sites in France this year and doubt if any of them were wired as we would like them to be, but the French are entitled to wire as they require and not to suit or systems.

I am an electrician. I have a polarity checker and have tested out of curiosity and have not wasted money on a polarity changer.

The only way incorrect polarity will affect you is if you are not competent and do not disconnecting from the hookup and then dismantling electrical equipment.

schojac

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
new in 2009
Exactly!

Whats black and crispy and hangs between two wires?

Jack the electrician.:Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The only way incorrect polarity will affect you is if you are not competent and do not disconnecting from the hookup and then dismantling electrical equipment.

Would you mind re-phrasing that. Far too clear. With the "reverse hookup thread" we normally get 2000 posts, 4 threats of death, one or two fights, six people complaining to their MP and some flouncing back to Facts.

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I havn't read all the replies,but,you can buy a cheap polarity tester which tells you if you need your reversed lead -or,you can buy an expensive tester which shows a red light if polarity is reversed,then you flick the switch to get a green light which means it's all OK ::bigsmile:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter how many times people say it doesn't matter about reverse polarity (it has never affected me or anyone I have met), people will still buy unnecessary equipment to rectify it.

I have never been run over by a car which is travelling along a motorway (I never tried to cross a motorway on foot) so is it safe for me to cross am motorway on foot - No.

The fact that someone has never met a circumstance where reversed polarity would have caused a problem is not definite proof that there is no problem. It's just good luck.

Many people say that the rcd will always protect them assume that the rcd will always work. If this is so why are we asked to check the rcd at regular intervals?

The way I see it is this. If there is a potential hazard and it can be very simply overcome then why take the risk however small. It's pure srtupidity.

wayfarer

Free Member
Sep 27, 2007
Co. Clare. Ireland
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Reverse polarity can damage your control panel. Buy reverse polarity tester in Halfords for a few quid and make up reverse polarity lead. Simples

twooks

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
That's it! I'm going back to gas...now where are those mantles? :ROFLMAO:

speaking of gas, have you heard about that sleeping gas that's being used to rob people on aires ???????????????????????????????
:ROFLMAO: :winky: :ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
speaking of gas, have you heard about that sleeping gas that's being used to rob people on aires ???????????????????????????????
:ROFLMAO: :winky: :ROFLMAO:

yes, it was rumoured they use reverse engineering :roflmto:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Many people say that the rcd will always protect them assume that the rcd will always work. If this is so why are we asked to check the rcd at regular intervals?

my view on this is the RCD in the van will NOT work on reversed polarity.

it works by matching the incoming live current to the outgoing neutral current....any earth leakage and it will trip as the incoming and outgoing dont match to within 32miiliamps.
the test button only puts a deliberate earth fault in the circuit.
the earth fault is sensed on the live side of the RCD, not the neutral side.

if reversed it will be measuring the incoming current on the NEUTRAL side of the RCD against the outgoing current on the LIVE side.
the internal circuitry wont register the difference in an earth fault situation as the live current is on the neutral side of the RCD.

to confirm or dismiss my view, when i get back to work i'll collect the neccessary bits and rig up a circuit and test with an RCD tester.

under normal circumstances reversed polarity is as safe as normal polarity UNLESS an earth fault develops then any earthed metal componants in the appliance will become live.
but if there is an RCD in the hookup post then this will trip instead, providing you happen to be in a foriegn country.....it wont trip on a uk HU post.

watch this space.....

Last edited:
S

sinbad1

Deleted User
The point is would a motorhome wired with the polarity reversed get a safety certificate?

No

Now lets talk about earthing a generater:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

S

stagman

Deleted User

You are right and wrong .A lot of RCDs can be wired in reverse , the old F&G ,Kloker Moller , MK etc . But a lot of the newer ones Protus for example is sensitive to reverse polarity they are electronically controlled . As for an Electrician stating reverse polarity is uninportant I would suggest he goes back to school . I still can't understand why people on this site will spend up to £2k on a Sat Dish (not you pappajohn as you got a Crank up same as me ) and dont see it important to spend £20 on a plug in tester and reverse polarity lead . Wasn't going to say anymore on this subject but after seeing some of the replies :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

mikeange

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
wimborne near new forest
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
2 year (caravan before)
Speaking to a friend the other day about this years trip to France in the summer ,we met up with family and spent a few days at Val De Vien about 45KMs south East ish of Poitiers at the motor sport track all free hook ups and showers and water etc then over to the Vendee/Il de Re
He mentioned that in France this year he had reverse polarity a lot..personally we only got this once on a site at St Jean de Monts ...now correct me if I'm wrong but ....he said if you rewire the continental two pin adaptor..ie swap the brown and the blue over this will cure it..is he right cos electrics scare me and I don't want to fry anything especially meself any answers

Hi..Be wise...Get a couple of adapters made up...a normal 3 pin (english) and a euro 2 pin
adapter ........make them yourself.....just reverse the wires in one end of the plug....and mark "reversed polarity" on the plug.Also get a polarity tester...which you just plug into a socket in your van....by checking this ......you can easily see if you need to use your adapter.Keep safe!
Regards
mikeange

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No

it works by matching the incoming live current to the outgoing neutral current....any earth leakage and it will trip as the incoming and outgoing dont match to within 32miiliamps.
the test button only puts a deliberate earth fault in the circuit.
the earth fault is sensed on the live side of the RCD, not the neutral side.

if reversed it will be measuring the incoming current on the NEUTRAL side of the RCD against the outgoing current on the LIVE side.
the internal circuitry wont register the difference in an earth fault situation as the live current is on the neutral side of the RCD.
ou are correct with th
to confirm or dismiss my view, when i get back to work i'll collect the neccessary bits and rig up a circuit and test with an RCD tester.

under normal circumstances reversed polarity is as safe as normal polarity UNLESS an earth fault develops then any earthed metal componants in the appliance will become live.
but if there is an RCD in the hookup post then this will trip instead, providing you happen to be in a foriegn country.....it wont trip on a uk HU post.

watch this space.....

Really interested in the outcome of your test. A bit surprised that after being so positive in your posting you are now going to test to see if you are correct?? You may find your RCD tester may not allow a test so you will need to create an earth fault. Whatever you do, take care, and then rewrite your posting.

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I still can't understand why people on this site will spend up to £2k on a Sat Dish (not you pappajohn as you got a Crank up same as me ) and dont see it important to spend £20 on a plug in tester and reverse polarity lead . Wasn't going to say anymore on this subject but after seeing some of the replies :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I wasn't going to say anything either, it has been discussed endlessly and I've no doubt will be again.. :RollEyes:

I agree with the above advice, forget all the theory, forget the argument, it can only cause confusion for the novice or the non electrically minded.. it serves no purpose and it makes absolutely no sense to take any risk for the sake of a few quid.. buy the kit and stay safe ..

jim

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have never been run over by a car which is travelling along a motorway (I never tried to cross a motorway on foot) so is it safe for me to cross am motorway on foot - No.

Earlier this year we saw cattle being herded across the M1.
Further on people crossing on foot.

We didn't see any dead cattle or people.

Just goes to show that what we consider dangerous/right/wrong is not universal, in this case the Moroccans thought it normal.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
what about when we use an inverter in the van ,cant be an earth then. never heard anything mentioned about that .it astriggered my mind afew times then i dismiss it quickly.any ideas ?

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
what about when we use an inverter in the van ,cant be an earth then. never heard anything mentioned about that .it astriggered my mind afew times then i dismiss it quickly.any ideas ?

OOOH you need an earthing stake from chassis to ground if not on EHT hardhathardhathardhathardhat I'll get my coat now::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Really interested in the outcome of your test. A bit surprised that after being so positive in your posting you are now going to test to see if you are correct?? You may find your RCD tester may not allow a test so you will need to create an earth fault. Whatever you do, take care, and then rewrite your posting.

as i said at the start of my post.....my view only.

i'v never had to check an RCD in a reversed wiring situation as all our wiring is meter checked before power is applied and any faults corrected first and the main switch checked visually for polarity. cant go far wrong with the busbar

hence the test rig to check my theory.:thumb:

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
So Papa "hence the test rig to check my theory." In other words, you don't no!

I am afraid I feel like a troll, but why present a posting when you are not sure of your facts?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
So Papa "hence the test rig to check my theory." In other words, you don't no!

I am afraid I feel like a troll, but why present a posting when you are not sure of your facts?

Because.....

as i said at the start of my post.....my view only.

i'v never had to check an RCD in a reversed wiring situation as all our wiring is meter checked before power is applied and any faults corrected first and the main switch checked visually for polarity. cant go far wrong with the busbar

hence the test rig to check my theory.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

and why repeat a re-worded post you posted 2 days ago ?????

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
Pappa

You have missed the point of my posting. You have been quite emphatic in posting this will "NOT" happen etc which is "your opinion". I have queried this with you and you then state you will set up an RCD to prove your "theory". In other words you do not no and are now taking exception to being questioned

If you had read Stagmans posting it is quite clear

"You are right and wrong .A lot of RCDs can be wired in reverse , the old F&G ,Kloker Moller , MK etc . But a lot of the newer ones Protus for example is sensitive to reverse polarity they are electronically controlled . ..........I"

"and why repeat a re-worded post you posted 2 days ago ?????" The above answers this

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I my opinion this whole thread is a waste of space.

totally agree, as I predicted, it always ends up in an argument that leads no where ..

time to lock it ...

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Polarity checker

Been in Wicks today, they have a blister pack wich includes 3 items, a multimeter, plug in polarity checker and mains tester all for under £15:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back