Reverse Polarity

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by mondo, Oct 30, 2009.

1. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

Speaking to a friend the other day about this years trip to France in the summer ,we met up with family and spent a few days at Val De Vien about 45KMs south East ish of Poitiers at the motor sport track all free hook ups and showers and water etc then over to the Vendee/Il de Re
    He mentioned that in France this year he had reverse polarity a lot..personally we only got this once on a site at St Jean de Monts ...now correct me if I'm wrong but ....he said if you rewire the continental two pin adaptor..ie swap the brown and the blue over this will cure it..is he right cos electrics scare me and I don't want to fry anything especially meself any answers

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

yes mondo, that is correct.

but its easier to have someone make up a 'reversed' lead or buy a short lead and reverse the brown and blue wires in either the plug or socket...not both.

reverse polarity is harmless in everyday use but start sticking your fingers into appliances when they are turned off and they will bite.

the reason the europeans dont care is they use double pole switchs on lights and sockets so turn off both live and neutral.

we dont....we only switch live on/off so if the wires are reversed you will be switching off the neutral, not the live.
    then you touch any wire that would normally be off and it wont be..its on.

make sense ?

3. pwilmo

pwilmo Funster

Sometimes simple is overlooked

Hi there
    We had reverse polarity in France quite alot,

SIMPLE SOLUTION:....
    Plug in your 2pin plug upside down HEY PRESTO. It works fine! at no cost! easy peasy!

But do remember the sensible advice from the previous post **reverse polarity is harmless in everyday use but start sticking your fingers into appliances when they are turned off and they will bite**

All the best
    Paul

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  4. ralph-dot

ralph-dot Read Only Funster

If you are concerned you can just turn the two pin plug round the other way, personally it makes little difference.

5. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

Tried the upside down gig no joy mate well we could'nt flip it due to how the EHU post was made but I have now swapped the Brown and Blue wires on me spare continental adaptor and marked it in RED Reverse Polarity Lead!! thanks Pappajohn:thumb:

6. schojac

schojac Read Only Funster

I too came across reversed polarity a lot in France. Some people seem to be lucky and rarely encounter it.

First time I had the 12v electrics switched on and the reverse polarity messed up my control panel. Fortunately it was a simple case of stripping and disconecting the power to the PCB in the unit. Lesson learned; made up my own rerverse connector by simply crossing the live and nuetral wires over. I have red tape around it so that it stands out.

Good idea to plug two pin in upside down but not all sites are two pin variety, hence the need for the reverse polarity connector.
    So, my electrics consist of:

UK mains converter
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]Continental mains converter lead
    Reverse polarity lead
    25 Metre hook up cable
    10 Metre hook up cable
    multimeter, electricians screwdriver, electricians tape etc.......

I have found that this gets me out of most situations.​

7. ralph-dot

I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter how many times people say it doesn't matter about reverse polarity (it has never affected me or anyone I have met), people will still buy unnecessary equipment to rectify it.

8. schojac

Were lives and safety are concerned I will always buy what is necessary - I like to know which is live and dangerous.

9. ralph-dot

and how do you know you have reverse polarity?

10. pappajohn

worth doing the same with a normal blue plug/socket.
    a lot of euro sites now use the same as we do in the uk:Doh:

wonder how long it will be before they have the caravan club type.....plug and twist.:Wink:

11. schojac

I was hoping no one would ask that!

I have a light on the distribution unit which I failed to check before switching on the 12 volt supply.

As previously quoted "lesson learned"

12. cpease

cpease Read Only Funster

In my experience of French Campsites, I have been checking reverse polarity for the last 25 yrs ever since plugging in my portable fridge & two hours later being told by a fellow english camper that my fridge was running in reverse.I reversed the wires & 2 hrs later my beer was cold. Since then I always check before I plug in. In fact a favorite site on mine Berny Rivere North of Paris ,has a pillar with 6 outlets ( 3 correctly/ 3 wrongley) wired outlets!!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  13. pappajohn

sounds like a pretty shoddy site if they dont have regular electrical inspections.:Doh:

14. mondo

mondo Read Only Funster

On my van (Autocruise Startrail) it bleeps and turns the read out screen red!! and says Reverse Polarity:thumb:

15. pappajohn

just a subtle hint then...:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

16. pappajohn

'cos the fridge gets hotter, the lights shine black, the charger drains the battery and the tv pictures in negative....:Rofl1::Rofl1:

17. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

That doesn't make any sense to me. Just because LN is reversed all appliances see 230V AC just the same.

A dangerous condition would make a difference and that is if something was wired L-E and even then it would just be powered down.

18. schojac

Hi Brian,

I assure you it messed up big time; no 12 volt or mains electrics at all. No water, lighting, fridge - thought we were going to have to come back home early and only two days into the holiday. Fortunately Autotrail's manual was pretty accurate in their fault finding section. i.e. strip down and disconnect power for at least 20 secs. Reassembled and it had reinitialised.

19. Nojazz

Nojazz Read Only Funster

reversed polarity

We have a little gadget that tests for polarity before we hook up, then use the correct connector which we made. Seems to make sense if you've invested a lot of money in your van to try and keep safe and save problems.

Nojazz

20. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

I had a simular thing happer to my autotrail when it came back from a vehical service the mechancis had turned on some inside lights and left them on and the lesure batterys went flat, then next day disconected the vehicale battery to clean and retighten the lugs, the display went all odd just displayed lines. The fix is take it off disconect the power wait then refit. so presumibly a reverse power signale can do the same, as also a power spike?