reverse polarity switch lit up (1 Viewer)

nannas-boy

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Funster No
Please can anyone tell us why the reverse polarity switch is lit up, and also what we have to do to sort out what our problem is. We have no lights or sockets working. I posted a thread earlier under a different title, but with your help we have found out that this is the switch that is causing our problems of why we have no power. Dont know if there is a reason why all our power in the house tripped whilst we had motorhome on hook up. It was only after electric tripped and then we just went to look in motorhome after that that we saw the polarity switch on. Much appreciate your help.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sounds to me as if your hook up cable may be wired wrong .. Or maybe what it is plugged in to at either end ...

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi,

When I bought the new RV it kept tripping our house electric and the prevoius RV never had.

After many checks I tracked it down to a changeover switch. When I spoke to TravelWorld they apologised for not removing it saying they always have problems with these.

Removed it and everything worked properly. I understand the best changeover system is at the plug end before you go into the site electrics.

Best regards

Chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
I always carry a "cross connector" easily made up and cheap. One male, one female standard 3 round pin (blue) caravan connectors, 30 cm 13 A cable, Earth to Earth (important), then cross wire line / neutral, neutral / line, does not matter which way.
JK

SandJ

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Too long lol
Please can anyone tell us why the reverse polarity switch is lit up, and also what we have to do to sort out what our problem is. We have no lights or sockets working. I posted a thread earlier under a different title, but with your help we have found out that this is the switch that is causing our problems of why we have no power. Dont know if there is a reason why all our power in the house tripped whilst we had motorhome on hook up. It was only after electric tripped and then we just went to look in motorhome after that that we saw the polarity switch on. Much appreciate your help.

You do not state the make and type of MH or if an RV, I would agree it sounds like the auto detect polarity switch may be the cause. If that had become faulty it would have tripped the power.

Try ommiting the switch if you can find it and power should work, that is if you are capable of doing it.

OP
OP
N

nannas-boy

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Funster No
Thank you for all your replies, our motorhome is an autotrail chieftain. Our hook up lead is only a few months old and never had any problems with it before.We have noticed one of the over cabinet lights is not working on the 12 volt either, Wonder if this could of caused the problem that tripped all the house power in first place? Would this cause the polarity switch to come on? Much appreciate your help.

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Test the socket into which you have plugged in the electric hook-up. This can be done by using an electricians screw driver that has a small neon which lights up when touching a terminal with 220/240V.

If incorrect there is probably nothing you can do.

If correct move onto the next stage. Plug in the lead to mains supply but not into the MH and check that the correct terminal is live on your hook up lead. Correct wiring of lead if necessary.

If wiring of lead is correct then plug lead into MH and check polarity of wiring at mains socket. A 3 pin mains polarity checker can be bought at places like B&Q.

If wiring incorrect you have problems with wiring of MH.

If wiring correct and the reversed polarity light is still on then you have problems with the mains control unit

wireman

Free Member
Dec 18, 2007
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
You may have some trip switches in the van too to protect it just like the house. We have sets for 240 v side of things and they are in the wardrobe of all places. Do a quick search round starting from where the EHU in the van is and see if you can find some. They should be pretty near the EHUpoint (hence why ours are in the wardrobe. I think we have something similaqr for the 12v side as well but can't actually remember and given the 2" of snow outside I'm not about to go out and loook.

OP
OP
N

nannas-boy

Free Member
May 6, 2008
Funster No
Thank you all so much for all your help, we have now got it sorted. We tested the hook up , that was fine, it was only as a friend of ours was looking at it with us and just happened to touch the charger and the on/off light flashed on and off and the polarity light went off. Cutting the story short it was a loose lead and as soon as we pushed this back in securely it all worked perfectly. What a relief. We much appreciate all your answers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back