Reverse polarity experiment

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by pappajohn, Apr 13, 2013.

1. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Following on from a current (no pun intended) reversed polarity thread, and In the interests of safety (and my own niggling doubts) i have just undertaken a small experiment.

I intentionally reversed the incoming main cables to the RCCB main switch in my garage fuse box to ascertain if the devise would still work.
    this is the only circuit i can safely and fully isolate in the house fusebox before starting the experiment.

I'm pleased to confirm it DOES trip when the test button is pressed......which simulates an earth fault.....and what i expected but wasnt sure of.

this may not work for all makes of RCD/RCCB so can only confirm it does work with a HAGAR 40a RCCB main switch but could well work with many other makes of breaker too.

so, in light of this, reversed polarity WONT compromise safety in the even of an earth fault

PLEASE NOTE....THIS WAS AN EXPERIMENT WITH ONE MAKE OF RCCB ONLY AND MAY NOT WORK WITH OTHER MAKES !
    [

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

You can get nicked for that.. hope no one saw you !!

Seriously though PJ, you did actually surprise me a little that you had any doubts..
    At least you have now put all the gainsayers to rest and can step fully in to my camp with absolute confidence now :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I couldnt think of any reason why it wouldnt work as its an imbalance beteween live and neutral which causes the trip but having never seen it in action backwards i had to try it myself.

what i should have done, in hind sight, was check the RV's trip at the same time as that is on permanent hookup from the garage supply. :Doh:
    that would have confirmed two makes of RCD/RCCB.

4. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

It is quite OK for those insecure types with money to burn to spend it pointlessly :Cool:

• Like Like x 1