Reverse polarity EHU

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Alby and Lin, May 28, 2014.

1. Alby and Lin

Alby and Lin Funster

Hi all funsters

I think I once read that reverse polarity EHU was not a problem on continental vans (ours is a Burstner) as they have double pole switches. Do we need reversing connectors for a trip to France?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Alby

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

in my opinion, not neccessary.....but do check there is an earth present as a lot of older installation dont have an earth.

Whether its reversed or not, if theres no earth theres a real possibilty of electrocution.

Something like the tester in my link will confirm reversed polarity and earth status...simply plug into an unused 230v socket and read the lights.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Metrel-Handyman-TEK989-Socket-Tester-with-Buzzer-like-Martindale-Buzz-It-/251532329365?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Test_Measurement_Equipment_ET&hash=item3a907ec195

Last edited: May 28, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Alby and Lin

Alby and Lin Funster

Thanks pappajohn. It's a new van so should be OK with the earth. I have a tested as well.

4. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Its not the vehicle earth thats the problem. The site supply from the bollard may not be earthed. Can happen in the UK too but more common sur le continong.

5. SMB

SMB Funster

Yeah, the way it was explained to me was you should be ok with a supply that has no earth, as long as all your appliances are working ok. Its a motorhome, since when do all the appliances work at any given time?

Re reverse polarity, I have a couple of adapters which sort this out, I know some motorhomers re-wire an EHU cable but i'm not that capable! I also read somewhere that the European vans are set up to cope with reverse polarity, think it was in a copy of MMM.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  6. Alby and Lin

Alby and Lin Funster

Thanks for help/advice to all.

Alby