Reverse polarity... Does it matter ? (1 Viewer)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Chap On the pitch on the site we moved to today informed me the polarity on this site is reversed,
Now dopey here never checked using the kit he was advised to get.....pillock.

Anyway everything was working fine so I checked and he was right. The lights indicated that neutral and live were reversed.

Everything on the van was working fine but I swapped the wires over anyway checked again and all 3 red lights lit to tell me all is as it should be. I put some red tape over the altered plug to remind me what I've done.

So could this have caused any problems ?

It seems the folk in the next pitch down know about the polarity status on this site but don't care..

Why do the site owners wire this way ? Surely there should be a standard and regulated way ??

All wired as it should be now so safe and sound an everything is working fine.

Just confused ! I will check next time ! After all I asked was advised and daft enough to ignore. Mmmmm,m

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
My 2012 Autotrail don't wont to play if the polarity is reversed or if the earth is missing. It just throws a tantrum :0(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
>> Reverse polarity... Does it matter ?

Ye gods, it is estimated 432.1 motorhome owners die of RP every day during the summer.

Really ?
Blimey that's nearly as many as have been gassed and the mythical two grand nicked ?

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Doesn't seem to worry my 2012 AT Comanche, everything works okay, I do have a reverse polarity lead so always use it just in case.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you are feeling bored you can search on here for the numerous times this has been discussed.

The answer is: "it depends". :)

With a modern vehicle you should be fine, less so with older MHs, especially UK ones.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Put your knife in the toaster when you're trying to retrive the toast.
Of course it's switched off, (but still plugged in.)
Does it matter? I hope you're still around to answer that one.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
If you are feeling bored you can search on here for the numerous times this has been discussed.

The answer is: "it depends". :)

With a modern vehicle you should be fine, less so with older MHs, especially UK ones.

Well you must have been bored to answer ?? But thanks all the same ..

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
Does it matter?
Only if you are stupid enough to play with the wires while plugged into the mains.
Just like at home. Would you strip down your toaster or electric cooker or any other appliance while it is still plugged in to the mains? Or try and change a light bulb with the power turned on?
Probably not

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
Of course it matters.

With reversed polarity your tv will show programs backwards, your fridge will get hot, your cooker will freeze food, your heater will suck cold air, your lights will be dark and your pump will suck water into your fresh tank.
Phew, I'm glad I've got a gas cooker then!

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Out of a matter of interest was this site home or abroad. I've experienced having reversed polarity across the channel many times but never here.

Rob

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Out of a matter of interest was this site home or abroad. I've experienced having reversed polarity across the channel many times but never here.Rob

There's always a 50/50 chance of RP on the Continent as all their switches are double pole so it doesn't matter which way round plugs/switches are wired there.

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
There's always a 50/50 chance of RP on the Continent as all their switches are double pole so it doesn't matter which way round plugs/switches are wired there.

Thanks.... At last an explanation.

If I was at home and wired a plug up wrong IE the neutral to live what would happen ?
This is why I asked. If I didn't ask and had left it alone and buggered something up like say an appliance or even someone got a shock I would look pretty silly. Not quite as silly as some of the replies above but I can try harder..

We are in France for the person that asked.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
At home all switches are in the Live conductor so if you reverse the supply the switches will be in the neutral.
In a motorhome sockets are rarely switched and there are no 230 volt light sockets to stick your finger in.
Your appliances have no idea and will continue as normal

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
At home all switches are in the Live conductor so if you reverse the supply the switches will be in the neutral.
In a motorhome sockets are rarely switched and there are no 230 volt light sockets to stick your finger in.
Your appliances have no idea and will continue as normal
Thanks.. I now understand (y)

filopastry

Free Member
Nov 11, 2013
london
Funster No
MH
littleun
Exp
newbie and learning every day
Low voltage ie 12v items sensitive to reverse polarity are fitted with diodes to eliminate the risks of R.P. here in France many electric items have plugs with but 2 prongs, live and neutral as the polarity delivered to the item has no relevance (plug has no earth) A RP situation with a switched plug could be naughty as the switch which would "normally" cut the live would in fact cut the neutral leaving a "live" feed still connected in this situation curly hair could easily result. I believe TV's and such in MH's with transformers to 12v do not suffer from RP as I "think" the transformer resolves these issues within ...... BUT I might be wrong .... but someone will know

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
It makes no difference to the operation of the appliances. The danger is that should something fail in the appliance when switched off, anything not earthed will be live.
Only an issue if you come into contact with it and become very lively till death!
UK live switching can only be safe if wired correctly.
Just imagine a 240v telly drops on the floor and breaks the casing, switch it off to pick up with the plug still in a it could be half a day out with the undertaker!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Even if you bothered to change the wires around, I recon a lot of sites may not even have the earth connected anyway,,!!
I have a plug and socket that will reverse the polarity if wrong way but to be honest dont think I have used it in 5 years..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back