Free Member
Feb 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I'm a newbie
I have an Apache on a Ducato 2.3. Now when you pick reverse you have to pull up the catch(dont know what it is called) on the gear stick and you slip into reverse. Today I found that the catch moved very freely and I actually did not need to use it to get reverse. Should I leave it or get it repaired?

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
Is there a danger of accidentally selecting reverse whilst moving forward?

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I would get it fixed. Very expensive stuff will happen if you try and select reverse at say 40 MPH!! Probably the spring holding the catch in the closed position is either broken or weak. Can you manually push it into the locked position, hold it there and it prevents reverse being selected?? If so, spring . ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Lord Mac

Lord Mac

Free Member
Feb 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I'm a newbie
It will not go into a fixed position. I also think it would be hard to put it into 5th whilst driving, but saying that I will get it fixed.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
It's a ploy to stop wimmin selecting it by mistake. It's well known that they can't reverse, so the makers stop it happening for safety reasons :Smile:

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
I have an Apache on a Ducato 2.3. Now when you pick reverse you have to pull up the catch(dont know what it is called) on the gear stick and you slip into reverse. Today I found that the catch moved very freely and I actually did not need to use it to get reverse. Should I leave it or get it repaired?

I recommend a repair, my 2009 Ducato 2.3 went bang when reversing off a level pitch, and a new gearbox was fitted under warranty, after the van was recovered 200 miles to local dealer.
They had a poor reputation prior to 2008 which Fiat said had been sorted, but dont think I would take a chance of putting it under any undue stress even now.

daisy mae

Free Member
Mar 12, 2013
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C class Coachbuilt
Exp
I`m a newbie, now 1 year
It's a ploy to stop wimmin selecting it by mistake. It's well known that they can't reverse, so the makers stop it happening for safety reasons :Smile:

MMMM !! usual remark, we women can take it, ::bigsmile:wouldn`t expect anything else,

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
It will not go into a fixed position. I also think it would be [HI]hard to put it into 5th whilst driving[/HI], but saying that I will get it fixed.

i hope not....[HI]5th[/HI] is a very useful gear. :roflmto:

Agreed...it wont actually go into reverse but the gearwheel teeth will suffer badly while trying to go in.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back