Revering camera & screen 1/3 vs 1/4 & 800 x 480 vs 480 x 234 ? (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2007
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
Looking for a reversing camera & monitor, so too ebay there's hundreds of the bloody things!!!!.

So the question is whats the real world difference between a 1/3 ccd & a 1/4 ccd camera plus
does anyone have a 7" 800 x 480 resolution screen compared to a 480 x 234 res screen:cautious:?

Have cameras before but don't know what they were.

Also looked at DRW electronics & parking-cameras web sites & compared to ebay they are more
than twice the cost.

Karl

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
@chippy63 Bought one of these at Parking cameras.co.uk really good
Product Ref:

Product
VAT Item price Quantity Total
SYSPM83W (KIT-PM83W) - White Twin Lens Broken Link RemovedV System with Slim 7" Monitor - 2x 1/3" Sony CCD Sensors - Broken Link RemovedM Screw Cables
Options:
Cable Length: 12.5M
20% £198.00 1 £198.00
Subtotal: £198.00
Shipping cost: £6.00
Broken Link Removed
Total: £204.00

Last edited:

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
I have bought several over the years of Ebay with no problems. The higher resolution ones are better as the picture is better but the basic ones work OK. First you need to work out what you want from the camera and how you want it to work. High mount tilt-able ones are great for close up reversing but and long range rear view but usually are blind for about a cars length or more behind you. Bumper type mounts are great for rear view and longer range reversing views like the partner giving you directions into a space. If you use the auto reverse switch facility you can only have that view when in reverse. Most displays accept 2 camera inputs.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Cameras and monitors are all sourced in China no matter who is selling them:

Broken Link Removed

Monitor resolution: the higher the better - I use the one in the listing above & it's more than sharp enough. I use a Sony CCTV camera for rear view:

Broken Link Removed

............. and a separate really cheapo under the rear valance for reversing connected to the 2nd input on the monitor:

Broken Link Removed

When I did mine it cost under £50 for the lot.

MyDogsTooBig

Free Member
Nov 19, 2015
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Inbetween
Exp
Since 2010
CCD is far better camera resolution than CMOS. I only buy from the dreaded eBay and wait for stuff to come from China. Never had any problems with shipping, by the way. I exclude CMOS in my searches, by entering -CMOS, I consider them old tech. Get the highest sensitivity possible, because this makes seeing in dark and low light far better. Most rear ones come with infra red led illuminators for night vision, but to be frank, at the distances involved, they make no difference. Just have good reverse bulbs! The angle of view is important, so get the right one. With LCD displays, get the highest resolution possible. 800 x 400 is HD compared to 480 x 234. The 1/3 and 1/4 is the CCD sensor size. Bigger is better. More money, will be happy forever! You see more with a bigger 'eye' and get more light in, so 1/3 is better than 1/4. What you pay extra for at shows is as tonyidle states, the same stuff. You just pay loads more. Same with all those LED sellers! I pay 99p for 2 LED bulbs, you pay £7.99 for one. Okay, if theirs is branded Philips or something, well that is different, but otherwise....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back