Revering camera & screen 1/3 vs 1/4 & 800 x 480 vs 480 x 234 ?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by chippy63, Nov 25, 2015.

1. chippy63

chippy63 Funster

Looking for a reversing camera & monitor, so too ebay there's hundreds of the bloody things!!!!.

So the question is whats the real world difference between a 1/3 ccd & a 1/4 ccd camera plus
    does anyone have a 7" 800 x 480 resolution screen compared to a 480 x 234 res screen:cautious:?

Have cameras before but don't know what they were.

Also looked at DRW electronics & parking-cameras web sites & compared to ebay they are more
    than twice the cost.

Karl

2. Speve

Speve Funster

@chippy63 Bought one of these at Parking cameras.co.uk really good
    Product Ref:

Product
    VAT Item price Quantity Total
    SYSPM83W (KIT-PM83W) - White Twin Lens 12/24V System with Slim 7" Monitor - 2x 1/3" Sony CCD Sensors - 10/15/20M Screw Cables
    Options:
    Cable Length: 12.5M
    20% £198.00 1 £198.00
    Subtotal: £198.00
    Shipping cost: £6.00
    [​IMG]
    Total: £204.00

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. maxi77

maxi77 Funster

I have bought several over the years of Ebay with no problems. The higher resolution ones are better as the picture is better but the basic ones work OK. First you need to work out what you want from the camera and how you want it to work. High mount tilt-able ones are great for close up reversing but and long range rear view but usually are blind for about a cars length or more behind you. Bumper type mounts are great for rear view and longer range reversing views like the partner giving you directions into a space. If you use the auto reverse switch facility you can only have that view when in reverse. Most displays accept 2 camera inputs.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Cameras and monitors are all sourced in China no matter who is selling them:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-TFT-LCD...399539?hash=item3cff7cb0b3:g:pIYAAOSwyQtVwuwo

Monitor resolution: the higher the better - I use the one in the listing above & it's more than sharp enough. I use a Sony CCTV camera for rear view:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-com...415474?hash=item25ac887af2:g:n6wAAOSweW5U9xYi

............. and a separate really cheapo under the rear valance for reversing connected to the 2nd input on the monitor:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170-CMOS-...831629?hash=item43e631ca8d:g:Jz4AAOSwcBhWVhbc

When I did mine it cost under £50 for the lot.

• Like Like x 1
  5. chippy63

chippy63 Funster

Amazing the differences in cost, depending who you are buying off.

6. MyDogsTooBig

MyDogsTooBig

CCD is far better camera resolution than CMOS. I only buy from the dreaded eBay and wait for stuff to come from China. Never had any problems with shipping, by the way. I exclude CMOS in my searches, by entering -CMOS, I consider them old tech. Get the highest sensitivity possible, because this makes seeing in dark and low light far better. Most rear ones come with infra red led illuminators for night vision, but to be frank, at the distances involved, they make no difference. Just have good reverse bulbs! The angle of view is important, so get the right one. With LCD displays, get the highest resolution possible. 800 x 400 is HD compared to 480 x 234. The 1/3 and 1/4 is the CCD sensor size. Bigger is better. More money, will be happy forever! You see more with a bigger 'eye' and get more light in, so 1/3 is better than 1/4. What you pay extra for at shows is as tonyidle states, the same stuff. You just pay loads more. Same with all those LED sellers! I pay 99p for 2 LED bulbs, you pay £7.99 for one. Okay, if theirs is branded Philips or something, well that is different, but otherwise....

• Like Like x 2