Returning MH to Manufacturer

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Robert Clark, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Hi guys
    Found a small trickle of water runnung down the wall underneath the rear window of our 6 month old MH

Our dealer has told us that this is a major problem and needs to be returned to he manufacturer (Swift) to be fixed as it requires the internal wall covering to be removed to allow the wall panel to dry properly. The rear window will then be removed, re fitted and the wall covering replaced.

Have any Funsters had any experience of this kind of repair, or could offer any advice on how best to handle this issue?

Regards
    Robert

2. Ber090

Ber090 Funster Life Member

(y)Hi Robert, All I can say is that if your M/H goes back to the factory it will come back fully sorted. We were very impressed when our Bolero went back last year and Swift could not have been better. You will get the "Angels of Doom" telling you it is terrible and should not happen but it is how problems are sorted that matters.
    Cheers
    Bernie

• Like Like x 8
  3. Terry

Terry Funster

Not a doom and gloom merchant -yes let them do it (y)- but just how wet is the boarding ? I would have thought the dealer would have done a simple window out/reseal job -so for them to say it needs to go back to the factory it must be bad or has been bad for some time -- all will be well when you get it back (y)
    terry

• Like Like x 2
  4. joncris

joncris Read Only Funster

I thought that they had cured these sorts of problems by their new assembly methods

• Like Like x 1
  5. Robert Clark

You'd certainly think so!

6. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Get a snagging list going, anything else wrong, anything at all as now Is the time to get the jobs done, I think the manufacturer will make a great job of anything you point out to them as part of a good will package.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Robert Clark

There's nothing else for them to do really coz I sorted them all out myself

• Like Like x 1
  8. Allanm

Allanm Funster

Ask them to do a free hab check. When my van went back to get fixed, they offered a free hab check. My dealer is doing the check when we get back next month, and A/S are picking up the tab. :clap2:
    Allan

• Like Like x 2
  9. Robert Clark

Thanks Allan that's a great suggestion!

• Like Like x 1
  10. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster Life Member

When mine went back for the spongy floor syndrome they did a full hab.service, paid my train fare and money towards my diesel.
    Couldn't fault them.

• Like Like x 4
  11. jezport

jezport Funster

It seems very common for vans to go back to swift. You would think they could put windows in properly by now.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

personally would be asking for my money back:giggle:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Allanm

Allanm Funster

They can't all be bad, there is a KonTiki near me, must be over 20 years old and still going strong
    Allan

• Like Like x 1
  14. swanseajack13

swanseajack13 Funster

reject it send it back our 2013 m/h had three problems fiat sent out a recall our crap dealer took a year to sort it out and then found damp in the garage doors in march still waiting for the doors all that money poor service and what happens in a year or so think about this the laws are there to protect you damp is a problem in m/hs send it back

15. Abacist

Abacist Funster

Strikes me that UK manufacturers don't have craftsmen anymore when it comes to motorhomes.

Build them fast and cheap then sell them for top wack then probably have a penalty system for workers on vehicles returned for warranty work.

I dare say they economise on the quality of the mastic like everything else.

16. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

I'll second that, but Swift had a tidy reputation then too, and as has been pointed out by Abacist it was 'craftsmen' screwing them together.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bertie Bassett

Bertie Bassett Read Only Funster

All the best with the repairs Robert and I'm sure you'll get it back better than it came off the dealers forecourt. (Shame they can't do it at the beginning though.)

• Like Like x 2
  18. sedge

sedge Funster

Swift's service is excellent, Marquis sent ours back as the main rooflight hadn't been sealed properly, Marquis had already refitted it and dehumidified it, but Pete said he wasn't happy with them 'repapering' round all the cupboards, they accepted that, Swift had it in and sorted it and whilst it was there did full checks of electrics and fitted new this and new that, including refitting a seal on a side locker which looked like it had gone ... well, no it hadn't actually - we accidentally put a not quite drained hosepipe away in there, so that dropped water on its floor where unfortunately a largish label had fallen off something else; evidently there was still some sticky on the label, we didn't find it until it had dried out and tried to clean the label off, so all our fault!

Paid for ALL the mileage getting there and getting back (they'd picked it up from the dealer in the first place, we both went up in the car to bring it back)

Well satisfied. They told us they'd have it weeks and weeks - it took them 10 days!

The absolute only snag with it was we had to take all the soft furnishings (mattress, seat cushions, carpet, curtains) and all the contents we'd added, out of it! Gaslow bottles and fittings were the only things we'd added that stayed in ! Boy was our hall full .......

• Like Like x 2
  19. Masman

Masman Funster

Swift seem good at getting it sorted.A friend of ours had a new swift caravan .It needed a complete side due to a problem with water ingress.It turned out to be a bad batch of window seals.when he went to dealers to pick it up there another four vans sorted with same problems.It's took a long time but i have finally got him to buy a motorhome. (y)He bought a new Bailey Approach.He loves it.:)

• Like Like x 1
  20. trophychap

trophychap Funster

I think its the nature of the beast really, I believe a lot of vans have problems of one sort or another at some time, Swift being the largest UK manufacturer are probably no worse than any other, its most likely pro rata.

As sedge said when Swift had our Bessacar back they far exceeded our expectations of what was to be done couldn't fault them.

• Like Like x 1