Apr 30, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Greetings One and All

I have just re registered on this site as I had changed my email address and couldn't log in anymore as I had forgotten all my passwords, user name etc.

Anyway I have a tale to tell regarding our Swift Bolero.
In March I started the van up and was rewarded with the engine management light on. Thinking it was possibly the throttle valve choked up again I took it for a drive to try and clear it. The engine felt sluggish and would not go over 50. Took it home and after about half an hour tried to start it again. No luck at all, it just wouldn't fire.

So I called out Green Flag who reported a fault code that suggested it was the throttle valve but of course they couldn't fix it. I called our local garage that I havn't used before and they agreed to have it in and sort it. They were prepared to tow it in but strangely enough the following week when the van was due in the engine actually started.
Much later it was revealed that the fault code given to me by Green Flag was in fact wrong and it was in fact a timing problem. Turned out the timing belt had jumped one tooth most likely caused by rain water getting into the timing belt cover then freezing around one of the tensioning pulleys. On trying to start the pulley stuck just long enough to make the belt jump one tooth. The old pulley showed signs of water contamination as of course we've had new belts and pulleys as the van is over 5 years old

The van is now running beautifuly but we are £500 poorer.:Angry:
I believe the Fiat Ducato has an issue of water getting into the engine compartment, I'm sure I've read about it on one of the forums

Anyway, that's my story .
:Smile:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Welcome back

Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Hi,like you I have seen several posts about this elsewhere.From memory there was a change made recently to the plastic scuttle for want of a better word,below the rear of the bonnet.
Apparently the older design funnelled water directly onto the top of the cam cover!
I believe some people did their own mods to rectify this design fault.Sorry not be more precise but hope it helps.An expensive repair you don't need again.:cry:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
hi and welcome, the water ingress problem you refer to was on early x250 chassis cabs. a mod was implemented to put a cover over the top of the engine and a drain scuttle to channel the water.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Z

Zzebidee

Free Member
Apr 30, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
hi and welcome, the water ingress problem you refer to was on early x250 chassis cabs. a mod was implemented to put a cover over the top of the engine and a drain scuttle to channel the water.

Interesting ! Could you give me some details about this mod?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back