Return to dealers

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Big bus man, Nov 17, 2015.

1. Big bus man

Big bus man

It would be interesting to know from all of you that purchased a motorhome from a dealer.

How many times did it have to go back to the dealers in just the first year.
    How far was that dealer was from your home.
    Who manufactured your van.

2. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

150 miles from home and returned 4 times in first 3 months. Never again will I deal with the dealer!! To the extent I wouldn't use them to undertake the annual hab service that is required for the manufacturers warranty.

• Like Like x 1
  3. StefAndDi

StefAndDi

1. Once
    2. 200 miles +
    3. Hymer

Stef.

4. scousebird

scousebird Funster

Returned once, 14 miles away, Bailey

• Like Like x 1
  5. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Had a couple of issues but it was less hassle to fix it myself.

Wouldn't trust the average dealer to carry out any repair on my van.

• Like Like x 7
  6. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Bought from dealer.. never returned once as I would much rather do my own work.. Simply do not trust others to do stuff

• Like Like x 10
  7. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

None in the first year, just minor problems in the second year.
    Brought from Belgium dealer 170 miles away, taken it back twice to local dealer 20 miles away would have only been once, but they sent the wrong part, only minor faults, if there had not been a local dealer probably wouldn't have bothered.

8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

No problems with our Murvi bought directly from the manufacturer five miles from our home in the first two years. We had a minor cosmetic issue recently which they fixed free of charge. They also replaced the water pump with a different model. We hadn't had any problems but they said a few of the original pumps had failed so they were replacing them.

Our experience gives the lie to the belief you can't get a well made MH from a UK manufacturer or get good service.

• Like Like x 3
  9. houdini

houdini Funster

1. None - 10yr old MH purchased last year
    2. 30 miles Motorhome Depot, Padworth
    3. Adria

10. awg

awg Funster

So far, once to have some options fitted and once to have some minor warranty work done on fresh water tank. Dealer is 160 miles away so we had the work done in conjunction with long weekend trips to the Peak District.

Allan

11. WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU Read Only Funster

1, None
    2, 488 miles
    3, Hymer

12. sedge

sedge Funster

1st Moho - once a few months from new in 2009, to cure a prob that was identified by the dealer before they handed it over, they'd done the repair to stop it which it did, but the cosmetic result meant further work was necessary. That completed, nothing else thereafter. A Swift Bessacarr, from Marquis at Billing, Northants.

2nd Moho - the installation of the solar panel they'd taken off the Bessie we PX'd needed sorting - we actually needed this doing whilst on hols in France for a few months just after purchase in March 2013 and it would certainly have gone back to Hayes at Wolverhampton had we been here, and we might have expected them to do it (dunno really, it wasn't their fault) except for the cost of the regulator (also off the Bessie) which turned out to be the prob, they weren't to know that and nobody could tell it had gone before we went as it was wall to wall snow in between pick-up and travel to France. So with the van itself - no problems really. The fridge vent got sludged up a bit quick and stopped working on gas (that first summer) but Dometic came here and sorted that out under warranty but as far as Pilote are concerned - so far - zilch!

Hab services on both done by Mark from Central Leisure Services, vehicle servicing done by Alan from arrgghh - what is the business called? Both done here on our drive anyway! so no travelling involved.

More than happy with everyone and everybody so far thanks!

13. Landyguy

Landyguy Funster Life Member

once, twenty miles , autotrail

14. Allanm

Allanm Funster

1.Twice. ( + Once to Autosleeper factory in Wellesley, but they collected it and brought it back and did a free hab check)
    2. 15 miles away.
    3. Autosleeper

15. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Returned once. This was for a replacement leisure battery. The other minor problems I prefer to rectify myself . Without trying to sound like a clever arse I take my time and put things right better than most so called engineers have the time or inclination to do.
    I don't mess with gas or electrics though and when it comes to fitting Solar or Satellite kit I will go to the recognised expert traders we have here on this forum .

• Like Like x 1
  16. Fletton

Fletton Funster

None...
    365 miles each way.... Bought in April 2015

Not been back - Don't envisage being back until April 2016

However, the few snags surfaced - which I fixed... as they where so small that I felt it didn't warrant the hassle.. Oh! I am a competent DIY'er (Builder in previous life - and it's just a house on wheels)

e.g... Sink waste had a small leak - sorted with silicone from garage... Hinge (plastic) came adrift - screw had been over tightened.. refixed and still ok...
    Roof light outer casing coming adrift - two ( hidden ) screws sorted it...

Knaus Sky I A-class

17. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

Once, and that was because I asked him to fit Gaslow, so not because of a problem.
    300 miles from where we are now, but 60 when we bought it.
    Hymer

Gary

18. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Purchased May 2014 from Hayes leisure darlaston - Pilote G690 A class.

Went back once en route to somewhere for the fuel filler surround to be sorted (I could have done this myself but was passing and it was a minor warranty issue) and again in May this year for a hab service. All other issues were very minor ones and first class telephone support from them enabled things to be sorted.

Will probably take the van back there next May but only if passing as it is nearly 3 hours away. I only bought from them in the first place after reading about their good reputation, which proved to be correct

19. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

1. None
    2. 100 miles ish
    3. Rapido

There's a very minor issue now, one that I wasn't going to bother with a warranty claim for as the cost in time and fuel to take it anywhere would have been more than the cost of buying the part and doing it myself. I spoke to a different dealer whose parts department are brilliant and they, at their suggestion, have managed to get Rapido to authorise supplying the part under warranty for me to fit myself which I wasn't expecting. Result (y)

20. Oriel

Oriel

3 times
    220 miles
    Niesmann & Bischoff

The problems were not with the motorhome itself but items within it, eg oven.

We've since found out that there was a general problem with the fans in that they weren't strong enough to keep the unit cool. It was a known problem so I don't know why Niesmann & Bischoff didn't recall the models affected as it would have saved a lot of frustration and wasted time!