Retuning Freeview

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by Bulletguy, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

All those with Freeview boxes or pre-installed in tv sets will already know that we had to retune today (30th).

I have a stand-alone Freeview box and did mine this morning before leaving for work. All channels loaded and all work ok........except ITV4. Tonight i have just retuned it again.....and ITV4 has totally disappeared!

Anyone else having the same problem?

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

no....mines got itv4 but i just lost 2 other channels while looking.

one listed in the epg as itv but is itv2+1
    dont know what the other is but just been watched dog soldiers on it...now its gone!!!

3. Bulletguy

Hmmmmm......weird.

I've now got ITV2+1 which i never had before....but ITV4 is nowhere to be seen at all. Was on the onscreen menu this morning after the first tuning, but now it's gone!

If this is the 'future' of digital then they can damn well keep it! A phone caller to The Wright Stuff yesterday morning said he was only able to watch the show as he had kept his old analogue TV!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  4. Maddie

Maddie Read Only Funster

All my chanels have gone except BBC1, 2, 3, etc. Tried 5 times to tune it but no luck. Looked it up on the website as to what I was doing wrong :Angry: but not my fault. Don't know what to do next. :shout:

Maddie

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

You're not alone I'm afraid. See the BBC news Here.

I knew nothing about the risk of losing channels until the lunchtime news yesterday but I wasn't surprised at all. The digitial TV project was ill conceived, ill thought out and has been badly managed throughout.

Graham

6. Bulletguy

Informative link Graham. None of this surprises me either.

Digital daftness is a fad which once the dealers have managed to cream substantial profits, will become outdated and obsolete and we will be forced to 'move on' to the next phase of daftness. I seem to remember the trumpeting hype announcing the arrival of DAB radio. Where is that now?

7. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i,m suprised ours worked fine .itv2+1 just moved to another chanell from 27 to 33.we have some extra channells of junk. lost 27 aboutquarter to 12 last night,5 minutes later it said go to 33. all working fine now. cheers alan.

8. Bulletguy

Read that link in Grahams post?
    You must be one of the extremely fortunate few!

9. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Not the dealers but our old friend Gordon Brown. Moving to digital enables selling off of the old analogue spectrum as an alternative income generating device to taxes. The real stupidity is that the TV companies fell over themselves to set up more and more extra channels despite the fact that the advertising pot to pay for them was never going to increase sufficiently. Result, naturally, dumbing down of programming and reduced profits.

As for DAB radio, sorry but it's coming - see Here for one report. Having said that, I recently bought a portable DAB radio from Argos Clearance on eBay, because we often couldn't get a decent signal in the van from the FM portable we had, and that is great.

Graham

10. bazfergy

bazfergy Read Only Funster

The message actually stated that you should tune the box after midday, try tuning again see if it helps all the best:thumb:

11. danie_jc

danie_jc Read Only Funster

We only get some the bbc channels here - and after retuning we still only get some of the BBC channels - so rubbish freeview remains rubbish!

12. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We are actually OK for Freeview (even after re-tuning) - not suprising as (though we are some miles away) we can see the Bilsdale transmitter from our back bedroom window.

It's crazy where my Mum lives. She has nothing on Freeview until November then on 4th November the BBC2 analogue signal will be switched off and replaced by digital and on 2nd December the rest of the analogue channels will be switched off and everything will be digital. No changeover period where the current analogue channels can be received on both, which would be the sensible thing to do.

Hopefully (as she is 89) the Digital UK service will install the necessary kit for her and go along to re-tune it on both those days. Otherwise it will mean us making two special 220 mile round trips to do it for her.

Graham

13. pappajohn

got one i use at work.

i get BBC radio1 through to 7 and a few 'commercial' channels.

waste of time and money

14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I'd agree for most of them John but the one I bought - eBay item 330331946644 - only cost 14 quid including postage. Probably because it's pink but who cares :Smile:

Graham

15. pappajohn

How much !!!!! :Eeek:

mine was free......well, a christmas prezzy actually so i cant complain really.

16. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I'm not tight John - just close fitting :Laughing::Laughing:

Graham

17. Bulletguy

First time i did it was before 12 noon (wednesday) as i switched the set on and there were no channels showing at all....totally blank. On re-tune, all channels came back with picture and sound except for ITV4, so i left it till i came back home at 1030pm. Re-tuned again and ITV4 disappeared altogether. Not been seen since!

Just for the hell of it i re-tuned this morning to see if it would come back, but no.

18. pappajohn

anyone still getting the retune message on 5 USA.

getting it today !

19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Got it on just about every channel last night. They probably don't know how to turn it off :BigGrin:

Graham

20. pappajohn

stupid thing is if you aint retuned you cant get 5usa so you dont get the message therefore how do you know to retune :Doh: