Retrofitting 3 point seat belts in a Hymer rear lounge (1 Viewer)

DenDastardly

Free Member
Jan 24, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express
Exp
1 year
Just joined and hoping to find a way to legally carry 2 passengers in a rear lounge area.

I am thinking along the following lines:-

If the chassis are fitted with lots of seating arrangement options (seems likely) and then only those needed for a particular model are used are the “spares” legal to utilise? :)

I realise that even if this idea has merit the chance of there being anchor points in the lounge area is remote but worth the asking.

Anyone any other ideas???

Cheers Den

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sorry den, you are asking the impossible. you wont find a business that will do the work as they would be liable in an accident. nor an insurance company that will insure it. adding more designated travelling seats with belts would require vehicle type approval, which cannot be granted
then add that the rear of the motorhome is a crumple zone and inherently dangerous, and it makes the idea untennable

OP
OP
D

DenDastardly

Free Member
Jan 24, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express
Exp
1 year
Yes I am already convinced by all of the feedback and feel a tad embarrassed but what the hell. Thanks for taking the trouble to put me straight.

I'd like to remove this thread now as it has served it's purpose, is that poss?

Cheers Den

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Den, an excellent question and you're not the first to ask it, it can be done but it's not straightforward as has been suggested. Here is a good read on seat belt law . Broken Link Removed

Meanwhile, welcome to the fun (y)

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
feel a tad embarrassed but what the hell.
Cheers Den

I don't know why. There is nothing unreasonable in what you ask. Many years ago I regularly fitted full race harnesses in my minis and raced them but also used them on the road. Seat belts were not standard, so surely I was better off even if I could not prove I was.

But today everything has to be regulated and accountable.

The totally absurd thing is you can carry passengers with no seat belts but fit belts diligently and you could end up in deep poo. On the other hand you could fit a belt badly and strangle the person who might have survived without a belt ( the case of a sideways seat with a lap and diagonal belt ).

I removed two belted seats from our MH to improve the layout, you should see the strength of the seat frame and the way it was bolted down, quite a significant piece of engineering.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
20150806_151208.jpg
There are many coach built or A class motor homes with belted rear seats so the fairly weak structure of a motor home does not seem to be a problem, at least with the powers that be.
If you are happy to accept that a rear shunt could be a bit dangerous then it should be possible to provide belted seats in the rear. To do so you would need to buy a double seat with its own steel frame and fitted seat belts. Mini bus seats are typically used in van conversions or at least I did in mine.
Providing that this seat is bolted through the floor to the chassis with the appropriate spreader plates then it will pass the MOT, the V5 can them be changed to show 4 travel seats and your insurance company should be okay. Details of how to secure a seat to the chassis are shown on the VOSA web page but takes some finding.

OP
OP
D

DenDastardly

Free Member
Jan 24, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express
Exp
1 year
Thanks for this info. It would be a difficult process and besides the thought of my kids being in a crumple zone doesn't appeal... didn't realise MH's were so fragile...

Den

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for this info. It would be a difficult process and besides the thought of my kids being in a crumple zone doesn't appeal... didn't realise MH's were so fragile...

Den

Oh yes.......this was rear ended by an HGV while broken down on the hard shoulder.

article-2512356-199AC4F800000578-43_634x445.jpg

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We've had both our latest vans up on a ramp for refillable gas tanks to be fitted.

The rear seat belts are attached to a substantial beam, in turn attached to the chassis. The rear travel seats are in the dinette so towards the front of the van.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hymer B584 has three belted seats. (All near the front!)

I see your 3 belted seats and raise you 6 on our Burstner 530. Bought thinking daughter and family could use it and they never did. So I pulled two seats out to give us more room.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
View attachment 144370 There are many coach built or A class motor homes with belted rear seats so the fairly weak structure of a motor home does not seem to be a problem, at least with the powers that be.
If you are happy to accept that a rear shunt could be a bit dangerous then it should be possible to provide belted seats in the rear. To do so you would need to buy a double seat with its own steel frame and fitted seat belts. Mini bus seats are typically used in van conversions or at least I did in mine.
Providing that this seat is bolted through the floor to the chassis with the appropriate spreader plates then it will pass the MOT, the V5 can them be changed to show 4 travel seats and your insurance company should be okay. Details of how to secure a seat to the chassis are shown on the VOSA web page but takes some finding.
It isn't as simple as that. My Hymer has similar seats sitting on a timber base. It uses big box section steels, vertically and on the rake, to transmit the seat belt loads down into the chassis, held together by big bolts. It was the same with my previous Adria motorhome.

And nowadays you will be hard pressed to find much in the way of a chassis behind the rear wheels. At best you may find aluminium chassis extenders (as in my two motorhomes) and there is no way they will take much in the way of the bending loads. At worse you will find nothing expect the sandwich floor walls and roof acting as a structural box.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
It isn't as simple as that. My Hymer has similar seats sitting on a timber base. It uses big box section steels, vertically and on the rake, to transmit the seat belt loads down into the chassis, held together by big bolts. It was the same with my previous Adria motorhome.

And nowadays you will be hard pressed to find much in the way of a chassis behind the rear wheels. At best you may find aluminium chassis extenders (as in my two motorhomes) and there is no way they will take much in the way of the bending loads. At worse you will find nothing expect the sandwich floor walls and roof acting as a structural box.
I don't believe that I said it was simple, only a possible solution. There would be a way to put additional steel alongside the chassis, even at the rear if someone was despairate enough to do it.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I don't believe that I said it was simple, only a possible solution. There would be a way to put additional steel alongside the chassis, even at the rear if someone was despairate enough to do it.
for the reasons already given bodging it will not be insurable. never mind the weight of all that steel taking away the payload

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
for the reasons already given bodging it will not be insurable. never mind the weight of all that steel taking away the payload
Not sure where the bodging part applies. If the work is done in accordance with the VOSA guidelines and you have it MOT'd and you then change your V5 to show 4 travel seats instead of 2 then you will get your insurance changed. Payload is a separate issue and should always be taken into account.
Finished now with this post, it's like the inquisition, too many questions.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
And who is going to carry out all the structural calculations to make it works I wonder? And where is this new RSC going to be bolted in and how many bolts. Making structural alterations to vehicles requires type approval nowadays. It probably would cost a few thousand pounds to get.

Would love a link to these VOSA guidelines that make it nice and easy.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Just have a look at those and you will see the point I am making. Before VOSA will accept new seat belts you have to provide "evidence of compliance for the complete installation, even though various components may individually have traceability to a technical standard". And you will need to provide an Installation Declaration from the vehicle converter or manufacturer.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
That particular document refers to IVA testing of new unregistered vehicles
and has little to do with retro fitting of seat belts.
As far as I am concerned as an Authorised Vehicle Examiner you can bolt your new belts to the Fridge door so long as you lock it
A short sharp tug and a look for excess corrosion is where my responsibility ends
lets be serious for a moment referring back to Brians Mini Days
You are aware, are you not that the forces required to pull a M12 seatbelt bolt head, through a half inch ply floor would result in your death anyway so fixing it to a chassis, could be argued, forgive the pun Overkill.
As a National MotorSport Cheif Scrutineer I have seen some realy horrendous attempts at DIY Seat Belt Mount Installations, we call it Pigeon S**t welding Some could have been done by a fully qualified Chef with sticks in his eyes and a hood on, you get it im sure.
Many failures ???? Nope, None, I can recall in over 25 years in the sport.
That to me says that if fitted by a competent person using the laws of physics, common sense and a few nuts and bolts anything is possible to a safe exceptable standard
Remember a slight tug and a look at what is visible for corrosion.
BUT The responsibility for safe use IS YOURS
Would I retro fit belts Yes with a clear conscience

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
@DenDastardly a few Hymer B680 have a front dinette (with at least two seat belts) and a rear U lounge (with no belts)
They rarely come up for sale and invariably sell quickly but they are out there....

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Just have a look at those and you will see the point I am making. Before VOSA will accept new seat belts you have to provide "evidence of compliance for the complete installation, even though various components may individually have traceability to a technical standard". And you will need to provide an Installation Declaration from the vehicle converter or manufacturer.
You are looking at the wrong information, there are clear guidelines on the VOSA site which even gives you the size of spreader plate required to comply. In my case I discussed it with the MOT tester before I did the work.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back