Retrofit cruise control

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Toffs-G, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Toffs-G

Toffs-G Read Only Funster

Hi All,

I am thinking of having cruise control fitted to my Peugeot boxer based Elnagh

Any advice would be appreciated i.e. worth doing, hiccups and hassles etc

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

certainly makes relaxed driving and can improve MPG.:thumb:

3. vwalan

vwalan Funster

for cruise control read choke cable .but doesnt retract when you brake .seems to work on trucks.

4. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

That is exactly what I have just bought off of Dave and for the same base unit too !
    Do it, you will not regret it !

5. warwick

warwick Read Only Funster

Current van has the factory fit Electronic Peugeot Cruise Control very responsive. Previous van had a retro fit vacumn based cruise control, worked OK but quite a time lapse between speed dropping off and acceleration picking up.
    Probably the main point apart from cost is the response time and how accurately the unit will actually follow your set speed.
    Have cruise in car as well and use it all the time makes long journeys on motorways here and abroad a lot easier, regarding fuel savings I think are a little dubious.

6. jezport

jezport Funster

I have just bought a ducato withcruise added, it is a nice extra and makes long trips easier

7. Toffs-G

Toffs-G Read Only Funster

Thanks for that, also good to have a recommendation for a supply and fit:thumb::thumb:

8. geoff1947

geoff1947 Read Only Funster

Dave

Whose is Dave?

9. tofo

tofo Funster

10. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

11. ips

ips Read Only Funster

Wouldnt drive without it...

Have had retro fit cruise fitted to vehicles in the past with great success, prob not as good as factory fitted but better than nothing.

12. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Toffs-g

Hi TOFFS-G
    This is a reply I had put on Geoff1947 thread.

But I have found a bit more info the model I had, I thought I had paid £430 I have checked my receipt and it was £411 as on the advert

I was told/led to believe the only model that could be fitted on my motorhome FIAT 130 MultiJet was the AP800 the fully electronic Interface, and I am glad I had the more expensive model fitted by Dave as it is as good as factory Fit and it is very responsive and I do get a very little improvement on MPG

AP800 Drive by wire interface

Some modern vehicles with drive by wire throttle control require a fully electronic interface to enable cruise control fitment. This is achieved with the AP800 interface which replaces the vacuum or electric servos. The new Fiat Ducato, Peugeot Boxer, Citroen Relay, require this system. AP800 with CM35 stalk which is £411 fitted inc. VAT

All four options of command module will work with either the vacuum or electric actuators, and the AP800 full electronic Interface

The reply I put on Geoffs
    Geoff......I agree with the other member Haganap...I had one fitted in April by Dave Newell at Telford.......I travelled from France to have mine fitted to my new fiat 2008 motorhome...Dave and his wife are lovely people and he did the job in 1 hour we had booked two to three weeks before fitting, stopped at the campsite opposite.......I must say it has been the best item fitted on the motorhome, and would always have one fitted in the future, for my model 130 multi jet it was ( I think) £430..............but well worth it, makes driving a dream and keeping to the speed limits without keep looking at the speedo, just click the button.....even my fuel MPG has got better from around 27 to 29......it is now 30.5 to 31 mpg I am well pleased

Mel in France …………………….enjoy your cruise

13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I agree, from my experience, use cruise control on hilly roads and your fuel consumption will rise .

jim

14. geoff1947

geoff1947 Read Only Funster

Thanks

Many thanks for the info provided Much appreciated.:thumb:

15. activecampers

activecampers Read Only Funster

We had it retro-fitted on our Transit from Conrad Anderson (Birmingham)

Works well - engine powerful enough to enable top gear to be maintained even up hills.

Not really any difference in MPG (read: we were super-smooth drivers anyway ;) ) but it does make long hauls easier. Only really use it on long runs, but setting it at 90kph means you don't have any lorry hassles as everyone is pretty much the same speed so it does make it relaxing.

Worth it but not cheap.