Retro fitting seatbelts - HELP! (1 Viewer)

JoyMcC

Free Member
Mar 18, 2017
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
About to buy first one
Exp
Have hired but newie to owning
We're about to buy a vintage motorhome for us and for our family to use. One of our concerns is travelling safely with the children. The van we're looking at has seat belts in the driver's and passenger seat, but none in the back.

The youngest child is 4 and we can fit her seat in the front, but we still have to accommodate the 8 year old. Apart from the legal issues, we obviously want them to be safe.

Can we retro-fit seat belts in the back? Has anyone done this or if not, how do you get over the problem. We'd appreciate your advice. Thanks in anticipation!

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Bailey are I think the only UK MoHo manufacturer that carried out whole vehicle crash tests, in about 2012, as reported at the time in various magazines. The test results revealed the seat base and cushion "submarining" issue, among others, and this resulted in major design changes before the big launch of their first MoHo range. I have not heard of other UK manufacturers having carried out similar crash tests, but I might be wrong. Hymer also did similar tests on one of its biggest A Class models. My van has a TUV certified rear seat of steel construction, with 3 point seatbelts and headrests, so that is a lot more reassuring than most especially the seats installed by the smaller "artisan" converters.

Apart from seatbelt mountings, and the problem of stopping the seat base from sliding away or collapsing, there are other crash safety issues that really should be addressed if the industry were to take the safety issue seriously and not just rely on exemptions. I can think of at least 2 for starters:

1. Suitable safety headrests for rear passengers.

2. Secure fixings for potential missiles that might decapitate or severely injure those in front in a head-on crash

(Wall mounted TV? Microwave oven? Fire extinguisher? Table left in situ while travelling? Take a good look at what is in your MoHo, and how securely it is mounted /stored; and importantly, fixed to what type of structure. I am no engineer, but self-tapping screws into wallboard, and heavy kit in lightweight lockers at head height doesn't seem terribly safe to me.)
The differences between a passenger carrying car and a MH are huge both in the design and legal details.
To get a MH to the same safety of a car is just not possible.
There is no way a car could be built with a solid wood table in front of the seat but some MH,s have this as a fixed item.
The only potential difference to the outcome of an accident is that the MH will often be the heavier vehicle and therefore absorb any impact energy better.
As you say there is potential danger of being hit on the head by something from within the MH.
I remember when panel vans had no partition behind the seat but these are now almost universal when sold as a commercial vehicle. Obviously this would not work for MH's.
Modern safety ideas and laws are there to reduce accidents but as with everything else a one rule fits all is always impossible.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back