Retro fitted cruisse control, how good is it? (1 Viewer)

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Having said in a previous post on this thread that I wouldn't be without cruise control, I am.
When we bought the MH it didn't have cc fitted and the intention was to have it done over winter(ish). Well, I've been in contact with the local Peugeot main dealer and he says that they don't do a kit and so he can't do it. He said that he would love to take my money but he can't.

I have just e-mailed Dave Newell and will let you know the outcome as soon as he replies.

It is a 2011 Boxer, Elddis 155

Haven't seen your E-mail yet but yes we can fit CC to your Peugeot, just over £400 less your Funster discount. Will reply to your E-mail tomorrow with exact cost.

D.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I use cruise a lot in my petrol car, have been considering spending £400 (ish) having it fitted to my Fiat Ducato 3.0 Diesel MH.

Would be interested hearing from anyone who has had it done and can comment on how well it works. I have driven some dodgy hire cars with awful CC, so a bit concerned whether it will be worth it in a MH.

Does it help with fuel consumption on long journeys?

Thanks

Steve

Hi Steve, had mine retro fitted to my 3.0 litre Ducato. Not only does it look as if it was factory fitted it performs BETTER because I went for the CC that is also a speed limiter plus it has 3 pre-set speeds, which you input. I have 30, 55 for economy and 75 when I need to get there but don't want to push my luck tooooo far.

I've had CC on all the cars I've owned in the last 15 years, which is why I wanted it.

It's even more important on the MH as it avoids driver fatigue on long journeys, increases economy (FACT), and probably saves getting points on licence or loosing licence.

All the details of mine are in the Motor Home Garage Forum, costs, fitting etc.

It all wires into the can-bus system so deactivation using clutch or brake, or overriding it manually. Reset or resume. Steps up or down by 1mph or 5 mph if held longer.

Absolute must-have for me, it was the first accessory fitted, before alarm and reversing cameras, albeit I had it all fitted at the same time. . . . Griff
:thumb:

ps I've seen Dave Newells price and if it wasn't so far away he'd have got my business not just because of funster recommendation but also because I've also heard his reputation in the trade.....

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I've been in touch with Dave Newell and he will be getting my trade, even though I will be driving down to him from North Yorkshire. I'll just make it an excuse to be out in the MH for a couple of days. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I must add my two penn'orth. I have cc in the car but rarely use it as it's not much use for local driving, however, it became obvious that it would be advantageous on the m/h. Dave Newell fitted it last year and there isn't a journey we make where I don't give thanks for it. It makes driving over distances so much more relaxed. Go for it. :thumb:
Wyn

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I must add my two penn'orth. I have cc in the car but rarely use it as it's not much use for local driving, however, it became obvious that it would be advantageous on the m/h. Dave Newell fitted it last year and there isn't a journey we make where I don't give thanks for it. It makes driving over distances so much more relaxed. Go for it. :thumb:
Wyn

p.s. the rear view camera is great too Dave

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have got cc in my cars and Motorhome but very rarely use it.

Out of interest why do people say it reduces driver fatigue?

It's not as if you can take a nap when it's switched on.::bigsmile:

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
cruise control

Don`t know about it relieving driver fatigue, I find it makes you more alert to the road conditions around you.
Whilst it`s on you have to constantly monitor the traffic , the speed they are moving at and also what is coming up in the distance.
Which really makes you concentrate more, so fatigue could actually be increased.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That's what I think.

I also worry about people having a heart attack with the car stuck in cruise control. if the pedals aren't touched you just keep travelling at 50, 60, 70 mph until you hit something. No brakes, no steering just a deadly missile:whatthe:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
It reduces fatigue for me because I am not stuck in the same position on the accelerator. I am free to move about and ease pressure points. It is really an issue with me with having osteo-arthritus.

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Switch it on entering a 30, 40, 50 mph sign and you can relax, one less thing to think about.

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
As I have run American Cars sice the 60's I have always had cruise control......I use it all the time even in town......I am lost when I have a vehicle without it......I can only say what every one else has goes for it......I have driven non stop 350 miles without turning the cruise off just adjusting speed on the button as and when needed.......doing this will also improve most peoples driving as they start to plan and anticipate things further ahead.

All the best Rick

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The first upgrade we had and 11k miles ago now.
An AP900 fitted by Adroit services at northern show, I believe they're Lincolnshire based. I would hate to be without it ever again it saves so much fatigue on the ankles

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Poor Internet connection and age colluded to cause me to repeat a post that I thought had failed some time ago. So apologies if it was noticed at all doh!

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
I'm booked in at Dave Newell for cruise control fitting a week tomorrow (15th March), so will be down to Telford on Wednesday night. Actually, it's the MH that's getting CC not me :Blush:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I'm lodging in Ludlow just now so I must be not far away?
Currently sat in the church inn supping a pint of hobsons mild champion beer of the year 2011 and just had a ludlow pie Company meal

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
I'm booked in to the Severn Gorge caravan park on Wednesday night.
Might have a stroll to the local hostelry to sample some local fare. :thumb:

Sunty

Free Member
Dec 10, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Swift Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2002
I had a cruise control fitted to my Swift (Fiat Ducato) having had the engine re-mapped. Dave Newall did a super job for me but I must stress one problem. Not having automatic transmission, the control often will try to maintain speeds uphill which would ordinarily have caused the vehicle to change down a gear, which results in the vehicle trying to maintain speeds in too high a gear. Problem now is that the engine over revs and causes clutch slippage. My solution is to ensure the vehicle is capable of taking the hill in top gear - if not I cancel the cruise control until the top of the hill. Just a small concern but if not heeded could cause clutch failure. Otherwise - wouldn't be without it. Arthur.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I'm lodging in Ludlow just now so I must be not far away?
Currently sat in the church inn supping a pint of hobsons mild champion beer of the year 2011 and just had a ludlow pie Company meal

About 30 miles or so. Hobson's is damned good ale but I've not tried a Ludlow Pie Company meal as yet.

D.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I'm booked in to the Severn Gorge caravan park on Wednesday night.
Might have a stroll to the local hostelry to sample some local fare. :thumb:

There are two to choose from, The Cuckoo Oak near the roundabout is a standard "Hungry Horse" chain pub, nowt wrong with it, foods generally pretty fair but nowt you'd rush back for. The other pub is the Three Furnaces, probably the closer of the two. I can't comment on food as I've not tried it but it might be worth mentioning it is a gay pub, although that is not compulsory::bigsmile::winky:. Plenty of straight people go there for a drink and social get together.

D.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I had a cruise control fitted to my Swift (Fiat Ducato) having had the engine re-mapped. Dave Newall did a super job for me but I must stress one problem. Not having automatic transmission, the control often will try to maintain speeds uphill which would ordinarily have caused the vehicle to change down a gear, which results in the vehicle trying to maintain speeds in too high a gear. Problem now is that the engine over revs and causes clutch slippage. My solution is to ensure the vehicle is capable of taking the hill in top gear - if not I cancel the cruise control until the top of the hill. Just a small concern but if not heeded could cause clutch failure. Otherwise - wouldn't be without it. Arthur.

With all due respect this is nothing to do with the cruise control, it just means your clutch is FUBAR, the remap may have exacerbated the problem.

D.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I never climb hills if steeper than 1 in 8 or descend with it! best to do that job yourself and just hit the RESUME after

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
There seems to be a slight difference of opinion of what cruise can and cant do........at the end of the day cruise is another tool in the box albeit an excellent one.......but if in a manual vehicle it won't change gear for you you are still the driver.......if your vehicle is auto then it will change down for you.......we do cruise training as part of our driving courses and it never ceases to amaze me how many people have it fitted to their car and have never used it........when they have completed a training course they can't manage without it.

I love my cruise and have even used it today when going and returning from MOT today allin town and even found one of those mobile cameras guess what I was bang on the limit 40 in the corvette.

All the best Rick

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
There seems to be a slight difference of opinion of what cruise can and cant do........at the end of the day cruise is another tool in the box albeit an excellent one.......but if in a manual vehicle it won't change gear for you you are still the driver.......if your vehicle is auto then it will change down for you.......we do cruise training as part of our driving courses and it never ceases to amaze me how many people have it fitted to their car and have never used it........when they have completed a training course they can't manage without it.

I love my cruise and have even used it today when going and returning from MOT today allin town and even found one of those mobile cameras guess what I was bang on the limit 40 in the corvette.

All the best Rick

I agree Rick ...me to....I always use it, and I would not like to be without the C/Control:thumb:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i use mine in the van all the time i find it stops me speeding.
in mine as with most of the larger engined motorhomes the speed seems to creep up without you actually noticing and before too long you are well over the speed limit.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Just been down to Dave Newells place and had cruise control fitted.

Top notch service from Dave and Jackie. Couldn't have been more helpful. :thumb:

Used it all the way home and it really does make the drive more relaxing. I'm not concerned if it does or doesn't improve fuel economy, it's the comfort value that counts.
Needless to say it worked faultlessly.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back