Retro fitted cruisse control, how good is it? (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
I use cruise a lot in my petrol car, have been considering spending £400 (ish) having it fitted to my Fiat Ducato 3.0 Diesel MH.

Would be interested hearing from anyone who has had it done and can comment on how well it works. I have driven some dodgy hire cars with awful CC, so a bit concerned whether it will be worth it in a MH.

Does it help with fuel consumption on long journeys?

Thanks

Steve

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My cruise control is standard on the MH so can't help with after fitted ones however with fuel economy I find it is slightly worse with the cruise control on anything other than a flat road. I believe this is because the CC will maintain the same speed up hill and down on an undulating road, whereas if I'm doing it myself I will use the speed gained on the downhill bit to help me up the next hill, losing a bit of speed.
I find it very useful on long empty roads though because otherwise I find myself unconsciously going faster and faster, which isn't very economical either.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
We have cruise control retro fitted on our Knaus and I wouldn't be without it. It really does make a difference for m'way and peage driving and we have been very pleased with our fuel consumption over long journeys.:thumb:

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
:Smile: Hi I have had it retro fitted to a 1999 2.9 Sprinter 250000 mile's it is very good but every now and again it drop's of on it's own first time it happened thought it broken, but after 3 year's I am used to it. Perhap's on a 3500 mile trip it will drop out twice normaly on a steep hill when full throttle is bring applied I also have a 2003 316 Sprinter 350000 mile's with factory fitted cruise it never drop's of, both drive the same on cruise :Smile:

Last edited:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I have retro-fitted it to my 3.0 Ducato. Brilliant. As well as pre-set speeds(3xNo) it also works as a speed limiter. I use it all the time just as I do for the factory fitted one in my car.

I know it helps with fuel consumption but I rate it for reducing driver fatigue and possibly saving my licence. ...........Griff

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We have a Dave Newell kit on our van .. that was 3 years ago and boy has it earned its keep !!
Lovely bit of kit, and the one tiny problem I had ( self imposed I might add ) Dave sorted for me in about 10 seconds with a few words of wisdom !

£400 might be a fair whack, but if like us you are do a lot of long distance stuff, it really is money well spent ( 2.8ltr pre-facelift Pug, gross weight 4.1 tonnes )

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Must admit thought they were a gimmick till I had first came as factory fitted but now would not be without one, if not fitted would have one fitted.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
cruise control

We have cruise control on all our vehicles and now wouldn`t be without it, it`s a totally different approach to driving, makes you think what`s going on ahead.
Once you get used to it you`ll want to use it all the time, it`s just a pres on a button and cancels on breaking, easily reset when you want to go back to it.

Had both and as said before a retro fit did used to drop out when going up a steep hill sometimes, never found a common denominator just happened occasionally.

Our advice would definitely go for it, we feel it does help with the fuel concumption but most of all it keeps your speed within the speed limits.
That`s got to be worth it. :thumb:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Ours was factory fitted too and I use it all the time. If, like me, you have all the time in the world and think about economy, it's nice to sit at 55/60 in the nearside lane on motorways and dual carriageways and not worry about overtaking lorries too often. On our mainly single carrigeway A roads from west Norfolk I can sit at 45/50 for the 60 miles or so it takes to get to anywhere with a decent road! :ROFLMAO:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
First came across cruise control in a hire car in the States in 1992. Couldn't believe how it transformed the driving experience.

Have had it on all my cars since - including retro-fitting to one of them - and currently have a factory-fit on the motorhome too.

The retro-fit on the car worked perfectly - never any problem or dropouts.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Ours has a factory fitted cruise control (2.7 Merc with 5-speed automatic gearbox). I use it most of the time on every trip. Would not want to be without it.
I also recommend Dave Newell although obviously, he has not fitted cruise control for me, but other work has been very good.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
no they don't

PM Dave Newell for the best advice, advert rotates on top of page right

Peter

No they don't Peter.. I switched the adverts off:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: when I need something I will switch them back on.. this way I do not keep clicking on them by mistake. Plus get very fed up with the ones that flash all the time, spoils the experience of MHF... anyway I know where you are.

Bob

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we have it as standard on yanks

While we have it as standard on yanks, I always have it as an option on a car if available.

The only thing is I tend to hit the off button if I see a big hill so I can control the drop down speed that will happen... on the Ford E350 we also have a tow/haul switch that alters the ratio of the gears and allows me to select a better slow down and climb rate ..ideal on hills.. gears do not change down as fast when climbing up.

But cruse control is a great bit of kit

Bob

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Lots of new HGVs come with them fitted now. After using them on trucks it made me realise how much better the whole driving experience.
When the trucks were automatic gearboxes as well it was brilliant. To maintain speed on hills they would do all the gear changing for you.

I wouldn't be without one for long distance driving.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Cruise control is a great bit of kit in my humble although very slightly biased opinion. We sell CC more on driver comfort than fuel saving although it can help, especially on modern powerful motorhomes where the speed can creep up without you realising.

To the couple of posters who mentioned their cc dropping out occasionally, it is designed to do this to prevent holding full throttle on a labouring engine. Typically the cc will drop out if the road speed drops by more than 15% of the set speed.

D.

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have been considering having a CC fitted for some time, but I have always associated them with larger engined vehicles . Anyone have any experience how these would work on a 2.2,100BHP ,5 speed Ducato?::bigsmile:riving2:::bigsmile:riving2:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I have been considering having a CC fitted for some time, but I have always associated them with larger engined vehicles . Anyone have any experience how these would work on a 2.2,100BHP ,5 speed Ducato?::bigsmile:riving2:::bigsmile:riving2:

Should be perfect - no problem whatsoever, I'd have thought.

The after-fit cruise control I had on a car was on a bog standard Renault Laguna 1.6 petrol. Smallish engine for a medium-large car.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Son in law has the 2.2 Ci CI Carioca .. It has a CC as a factory fit

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
iI use cc all the time on the HGV's at work. Not only is it better for driving, fuel economy and easier on your legs, it is a must for areas where average speed cameras operate, or roadworks speed restrictions. However, i do not have it fitted to the MH, as when I fitted it myself to a landrover discovery, it cost around £100 and it is substantially more costly for a MH.
When I get a chance, I,ll investigate whether the bits can be bought from Fiat for a factory fit...which is what happens with the landrover items.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
First upgrade I got on my 2.2 boxer 11,000 miles ago.
An AP900 fitted by Adroit services at the northern show, I believe they are Lincolnshire based.
I would never be without it as it certainly eases fatigue on the legs knees ankles, I only disengage on ascents and descents

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I use cruise a lot in my petrol car, have been considering spending £400 (ish) having it fitted to my Fiat Ducato 3.0 Diesel MH.

Would be interested hearing from anyone who has had it done and can comment on how well it works. I have driven some dodgy hire cars with awful CC, so a bit concerned whether it will be worth it in a MH.

Does it help with fuel consumption on long journeys?

Thanks

Steve

Steve.....on my previous 2008 130 multijet motorhome I had Dave Newel fit me a aftermarket/retrofit cruise control, and the cost was around £400 to £450 ..Marvelous....in fact my new motorhome comes with a factory fit Fiat cruise control...not a patch on the retrofit that Dave fitted for me. the retro fit has a few more tricks..Dave fits his in the same place as the Fiat factory fit cruise.. you would even think it was a factory fit PERFECT:thumb:

Mel

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Dave Newell fitted cc for me this Monday. Excellent job. cruised back to York at 65 mph and did 35 mpg. On the way down to Daves it did 33 at the same speed. Bearing in mind that York is up North and therefore uphill it performed great! Can well recommend.
Paul

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs

Absolutely brilliantly:thumb:::bigsmile:

D.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Cruise control is a great bit of kit in my humble although very slightly biased opinion. We sell CC more on driver comfort than fuel saving although it can help, especially on modern powerful motorhomes where the speed can creep up without you realising.

To the couple of posters who mentioned their cc dropping out occasionally, it is designed to do this to prevent holding full throttle on a labouring engine. Typically the cc will drop out if the road speed drops by more than 15% of the set speed.

D.

Dave is correct ....it also drop's out on a Factory fit cruise control...it mainly does this on a long gradient.... either drop down into 5th gear and then the motorhome just accelerates up the long gradient, or as Dave has said just put your foot on the accelerator and give a little extra throttle

Mel

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Dave Newell fitted cc for me this Monday. Excellent job. cruised back to York at 65 mph and did 35 mpg. On the way down to Daves it did 33 at the same speed. Bearing in mind that York is up North and therefore uphill it performed great! Can well recommend.
Paul

Up north lad.. sithie thars nors what thar talking about:thumb:

Mel

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Having said in a previous post on this thread that I wouldn't be without cruise control, I am.
When we bought the MH it didn't have cc fitted and the intention was to have it done over winter(ish). Well, I've been in contact with the local Peugeot main dealer and he says that they don't do a kit and so he can't do it. He said that he would love to take my money but he can't.

I have just e-mailed Dave Newell and will let you know the outcome as soon as he replies.

It is a 2011 Boxer, Elddis 155

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back