Retro fit daytime running lights

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by martin1485, May 16, 2013.

1. martin1485

martin1485 Funster

Having seen DRLs on some of the new vehicles on display at Peterborough, I decided to fit some on my van but did not want to pay the £100 some of the traders were asking for them.

I found a set of Ring Aurora lights for £55 on EBay so went for those. The kit comes with the box of tricks necessary to switch the lights on when the engine is started but off as soon as the sidelights go on. The instructions sounded simple enough but I called Ring's technical advice line just to confirm that there would be no problem tapping into the vehicle wiring as I am aware that some modern vehicles have Canbus. Suitably assured, I set about fitting the.

The 2 fog lamp recesses on the bumper of my Boxer were unused and the lights fitted quite nicely in there. The problem was in drilling the holes as I did not have any room to get the drill in. I ended up just using a sharp drill bit by hand as the bumper plastic is not that thick. I used small bolts and flat washers rather than the supplied self tapping screws. The relay was fitted behind the bumper cross bar. The supplied wiring was not long enough to reach the battery so I extended it and routed it alongside an existing cable back to the battery. The pick up lead for the sidelight sensor was fitted behind the near side front side lamp.

Attached Files:

2. martin1485

martin1485 Funster

Sorry but the photo uploaded upside down and I have no idea how to turn it around now. Doh :Doh:

3. vwalan

vwalan Funster

we thought you were in new south wales australia . they drive upside down there . even live upside down .hee hee .

• Like Like x 1
  4. electricscott

electricscott Funster

on mine I turn a light switch and they come on even during the day:Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  5. martin1485

martin1485 Funster

Just noticed that the lights illuminated without the keys in the ignition when the battery charger for the vehicle battery was activated. I will have to reconnect to a live feed when the ignition is on rather than direct to the battery per the instructions.:cry:

6. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

This is because the charger is knocking the relay on. It thinks the engine is running and receiving charge from the alternator. You can fit a bypass switch inside on the dash (cutting the power to the relay) to use when on hook up if you don't want ignition live.

Forgot to say; the reason the instructions told you to fit in isolation (direct to battery) is to avoid the canbus system. In isolation, the can does not realise it is there - except on new BMW's! (their batteries have their own ECU)

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Ye gods. Soon breakdown services will have to offer transport back to the factory in Germany, sure as hell no-one else will understand them.

Poxy university grads who understand technology but not life.

• Like Like x 2