Retiring to be a full timer

Discussion in 'Full Timers' started by suey, Nov 8, 2009.

1. suey

suey Read Only Funster

I am planning my retirement (was hoping it would be this year but couldnt sell flat in current economic climate). I am hoping that next year will see it sold and I will be off. I currently only have a micro camper so will be buying a new van Was wondering if there are any other women out there who are solo full timers and what experiences they have had.

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Well done, some would say brave but despite all the publicity MHing is safe enough if you know not to park in stupid places and take sensible precautions with your security. Go have a ball.

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Good luck with your plans and don't be afraid to ask questions, there are lots of full timers on here who can give good advice ..

While touring in France we met a single lady full timer in a 36ft RV and running her business via a satellite internet link .. :Cool:

jim

4. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

Good for you! :thumb:

I'm also in a similar situation with the possibility of being able to take a redundancy next year, plus 'bricks 'n mortar to sell or rent out. Long harboured an interest to fulltime since travelling extensively in europe limited by one thing only......having to return to go back to work! :Angry:

5. geoff1947

geoff1947 Read Only Funster

Good luck on your travels Your van seem OK for 1 person We regularily see a lady called Linda in Spain who travels alone (with her dog) in a Berlingo NOW thats small:BigGrin:

6. suey

suey Read Only Funster

Thanks for all the comments. I am planning to buy a bigger van than the micro van I currently own. Feel that would be too small for full time living...well it would be for me. I am looking at low profile models preferably with end lounge for comfortable living.

7. hilldweller

Sound thinking on fuel consumption grounds.

Better too big than too small I would think, you need a lot of space for a fulltimer's clothing stock I am guessing. And all the day to day things we might do without on holiday.

8. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Welcome to Fun, lots of good advice on here.

Peter

9. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Hi suey WELCOME to MH Fun :BigGrin::BigGrin:

Hope all goes well with your plans, as long as you are sensible about your travel can see no reason not to if you want.

Go for it and enjoy.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

10. sleep e carr

sleep e carr

full -timeing

I am not a full timer although retired because we have an 8 year old :Rofl1:But we still get away for 10 weeks a year.
    If you venture over to France take Norfolk lines Dover Dunkerk it's the cheapest crossing.
    I have a LDV profsional conversion 19 ft long and a small trailer and I get return peak time £135 Dover Calais £197 They are only 20 mins apart.

Hope this helps:thumb: our van is called SLEEP E CARR.

Regards George Joan David Happy traveling be safe

11. Gonewiththewind

Gonewiththewind Read Only Funster

Welcome and Hope your dreams come true. My own dreams for the last 3 years, just haven't got the nerve to cut the ties Lost my wife 6 years ago, the only thing holding me is 3 daughters and 10 grandchildren:cry:
    Good luck and best wishes.

Don

12. hilldweller

only ??????

13. Norrie

Norrie Read Only Funster

My mother in law is nearly 80 and drives her 1981 Transit-based MH to Germany every year. :Eeek:
    Alone. :Eeek::Eeek:
    To her school reunion. :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

14. madbluemad

madbluemad

Snap, we met that lady last year just outside Barca, on a Motorway Service Area.

Jim
    :Smile:

15. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

Good for her!! :thumb::thumb:

Now thats the sign of a real woman! :Smile:

16. Patrick

Patrick Read Only Funster

Very enviouse of you!

Hope you enjoy every min.

pat N Jan

17. vindiboy

vindiboy Funster

I cannot find a cheaper return crossing to France than with SEA FRANCE, I have tried several search engines and all are quoting about £60 -£70 more for Norfolk Line.Where do you get your prices from, even going direct to Norfolk Line the fares are more than Sea France, help Please.

18. PenelopePitstop

PenelopePitstop Funster Life Member

What a small world! We know Lynda too! :Smile: We usually meet her in Orgiva - we're there now but Lynda isn't! I think she was planning on going to Italy this autumn before coming to Spain.

She does really well with her little van and her gorgeous dog Tasha. She does quite a bit of wild camping but is careful where she does stop. Her van has the advantage of not looking like a camper so is quite unobtrusive when parked up.

Suey - go for it - you'll met loads of people on the road with help and advice - plenty of people doing it - either full time or long term. :thumb::thumb:

19. Caztur

Caztur Funster

Good luck, wish I could do it as well, teenagers and lack of income prevent.............but as soon as I can kick them out, sell up and draw my pension ...................... :Wink:

20. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi, hope you enjoy every minute of your adventure. my advice is dont burn any bridges and try to keep something here. iys nice to dream about fulltiming ,i,v seen so many over the uears i dont think its always the dream come true .i dont want to spoil it but be warned dreams sometimes turn to nightmares. i may be the only one to give you this advise ,its only my observations. i used to think i wanted to fulltime ,i now longterm have the best of both worlds. try to get the balance,home and away. have fun ,see you on the road somewhere ,cheers alan.