Retiring... Any Impact On Premiums ? (1 Viewer)

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
For those of you lucky enough to be there already, did retiring have any impact on your insurance premiums, for better or for worse ?

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
They seem to be cheaper for car, home & M.H. for us - of course this is just our example as insurance costs can vary widely & are dependent on so many various factors.

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
They seem to be cheaper for car, home & M.H. for us - of course this is just our example as insurance costs can vary widely & are dependent on so many various factors.
I half expected mine increasing, as I'll have more time to be in the van, compared to working full time.

I hope it works out as it did for you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Minimal, if any, on car, motorhome or house.:(
My life policy went through the roof though 'cause they thought dearest would have killed me after a few days!!!:eek:

OP
OP
Kingham

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Conversely, you won't be commuting during the busiest times of the day either(y) A perceived reduction in risk.
I'm not sure how insurers calculate their risks, but applying that logic, I could see my car insurance reducing due to the lowered risk after getting away from commuting, but the van will be being used far more regularly than previously, which is why I was anticipating a rise.

I suppose that will be reflected in what annual mileage I provide them with, as that figure will be a lot higher than previously.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Your van will be insured on the declared mileage, so makes no difference.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have always gone for Safeguard or Comfort as i like the all in package...
Usually I bounce between the two to keep them on their toes :)
In the 15 years we have had vans, working and retired the premiums for me haven't moved much so cant see it makes any difference.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I'm not convinced that insurance companies can calculate risk, even though they may employ actuaries to do so at great expense. If you do fewer miles I'd expect you to become a higher risk due to lack of familiarity, even though you're at risk for less time. Conversely, you may be at less risk if you use a vehicle more often. Retired folk have more time on their hands, so may travel more slowly and take fewer risks.
I am the only named driver of all my vehicles but get no discount in recognition that I can only be driving one of them at any time.

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Cant say I noticed any change.
I depends on lots of factors, Post code, driving licence points, previous claims, etc.
Ours always seems cheap in the UK.
Talk to foreign owners, Dutch, Germans etc.
They pay the earth in comparison.
Phil

Feb 15, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since April 2016
It made no difference to me (with Comfort), probably because the declared mileage didn't change.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Certain occupations can effect premiums, which is why they ask for the information. It still seems to apply even if you're no longer doing the job.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Minimal, if any, on car, motorhome or house.:(
My life policy went through the roof though 'cause they thought dearest would have killed me after a few days!!!:eek:
Im surprised she hasnt by now :LOL:

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
I renewed the other day, and at the same time informed them that I am now retired. Didn't make any difference to the renewal quote. This is an unlimited mileage policy with Safeguard.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Im surprised she hasnt by now :LOL:
Obviously the rain is still falling and your loose end is becoming frayed?:p
Interested in your Snipe 2 thread as was about to ask same question.
Anyway, lunch finished and off to the beach with the dug (in glorious sunshineo_O)

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I'm not sure how insurers calculate their risks, but applying that logic, I could see my car insurance reducing due to the lowered risk after getting away from commuting, but the van will be being used far more regularly than previously, which is why I was anticipating a rise.

I suppose that will be reflected in what annual mileage I provide them with, as that figure will be a lot higher than previously.
logic and insurance are two words that will rarely appear in the same sentence

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
As you'll be able to state 'retired' on your insurance and won't need commuting anymore your car etc insurance should be cheaper, your MH one is normally dependent on amount of usage (mileage) unless of course you had commuting on it so removing that could make it cheaper.

When we left work/retired very early we weren't sure what to put ... unemployed ... home maker ... we were advised to put retired as we had no intention of going out to work again ... try different combinations on an insurance website and see how it affects you.

Jan 22, 2011
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt 2 berth
Exp
Since April 2011
I just renewed today with Comfort and no reduction due to retiring since last renewal. I have however recently passed my IAM and that is a good saving in Insurance. I have 6 vehicles, all different, so the IAM saving does add up to a fair bit.

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
When I retired and Deb sold her business, although she claimed no benefits and was living off her own means, our car insurance quote went sky high purely because she was technically "unemployed"!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When I retired and Deb sold her business, although she claimed no benefits and was living off her own means, our car insurance quote went sky high purely because she was technically "unemployed"!
Which is why we were advised to put retired.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back