Result! Staysure over 65's Travel Insurance. (1 Viewer)

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I'm of the view travel insurance is a rigged market. The variation in quotes from different insurance companies varies from a few hundred pounds to thousand of pounds for the same cover.
Anyway, Got a result from Staysure for a married couple, one over 65 with pre-existing medical conditions.
Four months cover in France, Spain and Portugal £264.32.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I used Staysure on our winter trip over to Spain and Morocco back in 2013 as I needed 90 days cover.
Only when i got back and after being told someone mentioned a clause in the small print.
"a return trip must be booked".

We had just booked a single ferry ticket over to Calais and did the same a few days before we came back as unsure on when we would actually come home. So "technically" was not insured, always wondered what would have happened if we needed to claim..
So, check small print and if in doubt book a return (y)

I found them cheap year one but at renewal they really tried it on and I moved to LV for 2014...

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Also check out all your existing medical conditions.
And TELL them.
Or if anything happens while away remotely connected , they will wangle out of paying out.
Even Ralph's zotons for his acid reflux have to be listed ! That alone put it up £9 .
We're only going away for a week to where we got married in Crete for romantic wedding anniversary! I think if it's cheap , it's probably that way for a reason.
I've had an arythmia in the past and the insurance company said even though I'm not on any medication it has to be listed ! And my athiritis in my back.
And another thing , with us flying , we had to pay £6 each extra for our cases . Or if we lost one, we'd have to fork out £170 excess ! Small print , read it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Return dates booked. All medical conditions declared. Excess £85.00. Have never needed to claim before. Only looking for medical and repatriation cover and happy with Quote.

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
Staysure had the nerve to ring me last year after I had paid their (massively increased because I declared I had experienced a heart arrythmia) premium to say they had had a think about things and had undercharged me! They wanted to double the premium I had paid a couple of weeks before and got aggressive when I refused. They ended up refunding the premium and I went elsewhere for a fraction of the cost.
And yes, you need to have booked a return ticket otherwise they won't pay your claim. Do some research on line and you will find a lot of unhappy customers.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Roger that! Where did you get cover for a fraction of the cost ? As I have said my return dates where supplied when asking for cover.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
For an additional £50 I have unlimited travel insurance through my Nat west account.

Moi aussi - Halifax, underwritten by Axa and thats with notified medical conditions. (y). Tried Staysure like Tonka and then dropped sharpish them when we saw that you had to fix a return date. :mad:

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we have just renewed with insure and go

both of us including an additional premium for pre-existing medication

just under £80 for the whole year for both of us (y)(y)

we are a little younger than some of you, but not a lot :)

58 and 55

edit - just read the full title of your thread and now realise the irrelevance of my reply

apologies o_Oo_O (y)

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We're with EHICPlus ... just over £40 for both of us, 45 days away. 53 and 58.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We use the one with our Nationwide account,,71 and 65,,77 days away as many times as we like..Monthly fee of £10 which provides other perks plus £66 to increase it from 30 to 77 days. Just put a claim in so we will see if its any good,,BUSBY.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Lloyd's Bank insured me quite happily for about 20 years until at one renewal, when nothing about me had changed (I have T1 diabetes so I obviously told them that on Day 1 and every year thereafter) except I was now a year older - they wanted an additional annual premium of £300 !

I'd only kept the ruddy account open to get the nominally free travel insurance, so I was already paying £25 a month bank charges just for that - hence £600 annually.

I cancelled the account, dear reader and have already saved nearly £2,000 since by just not bothering. God knows what anyone would want now Pete's had prostate cancer and it was only last July he finished the necessary treatment. For now, of course - who knows in the future ......

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Moi aussi - Halifax, underwritten by Axa and thats with notified medical conditions. (y). Tried Staysure like Tonka and then dropped sharpish them when we saw that you had to fix a return date. :mad:
Hi ken trust you and Linda are well. (all good hear) I did not have to supply a return date. I just agreed to be back in the UK by the time the policy expired which was 120 days. I explained I had booked a return ferry trip with the return date being flexible and I could change to suit. They were happy with this and gave me the cover.

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
Lloyd's Bank insured me quite happily for about 20 years until at one renewal, when nothing about me had changed (I have T1 diabetes so I obviously told them that on Day 1 and every year thereafter) except I was now a year older - they wanted an additional annual premium of £300 !

I'd only kept the ruddy account open to get the nominally free travel insurance, so I was already paying £25 a month bank charges just for that - hence £600 annually.

I cancelled the account, dear reader and have already saved nearly £2,000 since by just not bothering. God knows what anyone would want now Pete's had prostate cancer and it was only last July he finished the necessary treatment. For now, of course - who knows in the future ......
Agreed, it's getting to the point where we will no longer be able to afford cover. After Brexit if we do not have a reciprocal arrangement with the EU of health care the cost will simple go through the roof IMO

OP
OP
PhilandMena
Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
We use the one with our Nationwide account,,71 and 65,,77 days away as many times as we like..Monthly fee of £10 which provides other perks plus £66 to increase it from 30 to 77 days. Just put a claim in so we will see if its any good,,BUSBY.
Do you both need an account to obtain Joint cover.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
God knows what anyone would want now Pete's had prostate cancer and it was only last July he finished the necessary treatment. For now, of course - who knows in the future ......

Wife had op for bowel cancer & successful treatment . Notified on start up & that is the only one excluded.

Just reminded me of years ago she had a melanoma removed & they wanted 150 quid/month for a period of 5 years before reducing to normal rates, for mortgage cover, & this was 19 years ago & 6 years after removal !!!
When I moved house again a few months later they insisted the 5 year period started again.
I don't think so . Just legalised robbers.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
EHIC Plus won't cover either of us - I have intermittent claudication and Pete had his prostate cancer removed within the last 2 years.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Can I just add a note of caution. We also have travel insurance as part of our banking with HSBC. When it cane to making a pretty simple claim - my wife had a suitcase stolen from a train - a great deal of 'small print' became big print and they made it so hard to claim I claimed on our NFU home policy in the end.

NFU sent the forms, we filled them in and were paid out in full without question £1100 in a matter of a few days,

What comes 'cheap' often isn't worth much. We now have travel insurance through NFU.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back