Restoring Bodywork Shine (1 Viewer)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
At our last place, used to park our Transit based camper under trees. Got loads of droppings on side which wouldn't wash off, so used a kitchen scourer.

Oops, took off the lacquer in about 20 places.

How can I get a shine back as planning to sell soon?

Cheers :)

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
@Charlie has written some wonderful posts on how to deal with all issues. Take a look under motorhome detailing.

But if you seriously thought a scouring pad was a good idea you may not have the patience to put this right. In which case make sure it's a rainy day when you sell your MH :xblink:

Weimarunner

Free Member
Nov 5, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit Leisuredrive
Exp
Hi, I doubt you've gone right through the lacquer, you've probably just scratched it so it looks matt in patches where you've rubbed. I'd first try using farecela G3 cutting compound and then finish with farecela G3 wax.
It's a really good system, I used it just this week to remove damage to the bonnet on one of my vans after welding sparks landed all over it. It was a real mess and looks as good as new now after an hours work, I never even got the electric buffer out.
Good luck

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
At our last place, used to park our Transit based camper under trees. Got loads of droppings on side which wouldn't wash off, so used a kitchen scourer.

Oops, took off the lacquer in about 20 places.

How can I get a shine back as planning to sell soon?

Cheers :)

Is it lacquer or does it appear that way ? Could it have a tinted film over it ? The thing is there are so many materials used then coated or treated in some way it's hard to advise other than the what I call $hit or bust.

You have in effect put yourself in that position so use a medium cut polish to get the whole surface polished so it's all the same. Then refine it down with a lower cut polish to bring a clear even finish and Bobd yer muvvers bruvver.

If it's a tint you've dug into this will be removed and might make that particular window slightly at odds with the rest. Either put up with it or do the other windows.

It is recoverable!

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Hi, I doubt you've gone right through the lacquer, you've probably just scratched it so it looks matt in patches where you've rubbed. I'd first try using farecela G3 cutting compound and then finish with farecela G3 wax.
It's a really good system, I used it just this week to remove damage to the bonnet on one of my vans after welding sparks landed all over it. It was a real mess and looks as good as new now after an hours work, I never even got the electric buffer out.
Good luck

Don't use G3 on clear or tinted plastic it's an AIO polish which has varying levels of cut so an uneven finish is likely.

Weimarunner

Free Member
Nov 5, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Don't use G3 on clear or tinted plastic it's an AIO polish which has varying levels of cut so an uneven finish is likely.
Is it plastic? Not metal body? That said G3 works very well on GRP, it's the 'go to' compound for boat refinishing

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Is it plastic? Not metal body? That said G3 works very well on GRP, it's the 'go to' compound for boat refinishing
Anyone who confuses plastic with GRP is going to strip paint in an instant if they use G3 on it !!

The surface gel coat on a boat will be significantly thicker than on a Motorhome or a GRP bodied car.

You really should know what you are doing when using G3. It's not safe for a begginer to use due to its AIO properties.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
@Charlie i have a scrape on my coloured plastic wheel trim ,its not deep,so i was thinking of using 2000 grade wet or dry and then g3 ,i have used G3 in the past on clear coat ,would you reccomend another route ?

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
@Charlie i have a scrape on my coloured plastic wheel trim ,its not deep,so i was thinking of using 2000 grade wet or dry and then g3 ,i have used G3 in the past on clear coat ,would you reccomend another route ?

If it's through coloured plastic you can wet and dry it. Go for Meguires unigrit 4000 grade.

When plastic is painted the paint cannot adhere anywhere near as well as on other surfaces like steel for instance . Huge care must be taken when polishing it or it will burn through very very quickly. Paint heats up fast as well on plastic. When I polish a whole car I drop down to ultra low cut polish swap the pad for s soft one and lower the machine speed. It really must be treated with care !

Weimarunner

Free Member
Nov 5, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Anyone who confuses plastic with GRP is going to strip paint in an instant if they use G3 on it !!

The surface gel coat on a boat will be significantly thicker than on a Motorhome or a GRP bodied car.

You really should know what you are doing when using G3. It's not safe for a begginer to use due to its AIO properties.

Maybe the OP can clarify what has been effected. Not sure why plastic and windows are being referenced, I got the impression the OP was meaning bodywork??

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Unless it's a recently new van or has metallic paint it won't have a lacquer finish either.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Maybe the OP can clarify what has been effected. Not sure why plastic and windows are being referenced, I got the impression the OP was meaning bodywork??

It has... I think the thread has become a wee bit muddled with the plastic window thread.

On topic could the OP post a couple of pictures ? A couple from across the surface at 45 degrees or so would tell us a lot ?

Weimarunner

Free Member
Nov 5, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Yup, it's a 2005 PVC. I was really looking for generic fix/bodge as can't buy fancy polishing stuff over here.
If you're after a cheap fix it maybe worth trying (in a hidden spot somewhere) upvc restorer. It's cheap, we use it for polishing up weathered, faded and sun bleached upvc window frames. There's a liquid type and a cream which has a very light abrasive quality to cut back and restore shine. Give it ago somewhere out of sight. Costs about ÂŁ4 - ÂŁ7 a bottle.
Good luck

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
If you're after a cheap fix it maybe worth trying (in a hidden spot somewhere) upvc restorer. It's cheap, we use it for polishing up weathered, faded and sun bleached upvc window frames. There's a liquid type and a cream which has a very light abrasive quality to cut back and restore shine. Give it ago somewhere out of sight. Costs about ÂŁ4 - ÂŁ7 a bottle.
Good luck
Will it work on metal ?

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
I really really would not recommend using anything other than a lowish cut automotive polish on that van .... UPVC cleaner is for UPVC Ang G3,is an AIO polish that starts on the pad as quite abrasive. Use it but you could end up causing considerable damage .

Pictures really would help if you can .

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
No, I'd go for the g3 by hand, you can mail order it if you struggle to get it where you are - Link Removed

You cannot break G3,down by hand it needs the speed of the pad and the lubrication of water before it can break down as it is intended to do.

Using G3 by hand will mean localised pressurebwhich given its heavy cutting ability in raw form is very risky indeed with the risk of striking through very high.

Weimarunner

Free Member
Nov 5, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
You cannot break G3,down by hand it needs the speed of the pad and the lubrication of water before it can break down as it is intended to do.

Using G3 by hand will mean localised pressurebwhich given its heavy cutting ability in raw form is very risky indeed with the risk of striking through very high.

G3 is fine used by hand, you'd have to go hammer & tongs to cut right through paintwork of any sort. Don't try whole panels or broad areas without a buffer but blending in your scourer damaged spots will be fine. I've blended in new paintwork, marks and scuffs locally hundreds of times on gel coat and automotive paint finishes all successfully. Detailers get in to panel mouldings and close up to fixtures by hand daily.

@Charlie , the OP is in his words is "looking for a quick fix / bodge" to lessen the degree of scourer damage to an 05 plate transit before selling. I quite agree that you need the exact products & techniques if you're after a Rolls Royce showroom finish but I don't think this is the spec. ;)

Cheers

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
G3 if fine if used correctly by someone who knows the properties and characteristics of it. You must also use it for purposes is is specifically designed for and using it by hand is not one of those .

Quick fix ? All well good but the chances of causing damage to a surface that presently has no damage is high.

But what do I know .

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Ive been selling a restoration polish for a few years. Its great for bringing the shine back to plastics and GRP. Ive had numerous emails thanking me for selling the product and use it myself.
Link Removed

Ifv any funsters want any I will do it at ÂŁ10 a bottle delivered. Just PM me

Weimarunner

Free Member
Nov 5, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
But what do I know .

No offence Charlie. I'm just trying to help the OP out. Both G3 & UPVC restorer are quite user friendly, as long as you go easy and trial it first somewhere. Readers shouldn't be put off using them, it's not a dark art. Your far more likely to do damage with an electric / air polisher in inexperienced hands. Not disagreeing with your advice, just not over-complicating what really should be a straight forward polish out.
:)

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
My whole approach has always been to use the right product for the right job mate. Most of all safely.

There is a thread in the detailing section dedicated to polishing using a machine. Safely. The amount of times I've see people using the wrong pad or the wrong polish or the wrong speeds or a combination of all is quite a few.

G3 is a good polish. Bodyshops love it because they use just one polish cos it breaks down as the polish is compounded. But it's a polish that IMO is best suited to those who are very familiar with what it can do. And how fast it can cut especially when it's fresh on the pad and lubricated. I have to repeat its good stuff but not safe so I say use something lighter in cut.

The number one rule in polishing is and always has been start with a low cut and work up if it's not working. Starting with a high cut which is what G3 is is risky.

I have UPVC cleaner here in cream and solvent form.. I use it on the window frames. Solvent I think you would agree should go nowhere near vehicles ? Well the cream stuff has solvent in it as well. Both cleaners are pretty aggressive I use them as a last resort. Frankly I would never use them on a vehicle. Use the right stuff.

There is for me no such thing as a quick fix when we are dealing with expensive vehicles .

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
It's hard to take pics, but these 2 may help. They seem to show the scratches rather than the dull areas.

Some good replies so far and I want to keep it simple

20161228_172231.jpg
20161228_172243.jpg

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
It's hard to take pics, but these 2 may help. They seem to show the scratches rather than the dull areas.

Some good replies so far and I want to keep it simple

View attachment 139533 View attachment 139534

It's hard to say but I think you've just scuffed the surface up... are there and edges like a thin top layer has been removed ? Like s scab if that makes any sense?

OP
OP
Yorick
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
It's hard to say but I think you've just scuffed the surface up... are there and edges like a thin top layer has been removed ? Like s scab if that makes any sense?
Under torch light, the scratches are tiny and can't even feel them with my finger. I didn't go silly with the scourer. Very light rubbing.

Was hoping that some posh wax would cure it ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back