Respraying part of wing

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by JohnH, Mar 7, 2014.

1. JohnH

JohnH Funster

I scraped part of my near side front wing driving into a narrow gateway. No damage to the metal but the top coat has been scraped. How feasible is it to home spray an area about six inches in diameter at home?
    It is a metallic paint, Peugeot 611. Will I need to put lacquer on top etc. never done this with metallic paint.

2. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

Spray painting

Hello Johnh Leave it to the professionals I had a small paint job done on my car the man did a fantastic job and touched up all the stone chips of which there were many and when he had finished you could not spot the difference and all for £100 :Smile:

• Like Like x 4
  3. steevie

steevie Funster

you will need base coat and lacquer if its gone thru the colour coat, and then various grades of wet and dry, T cut, and polishing compound, plus a warm atmosphere, preferably inside, and insect free. Materials could be up to £50. You can watch how to do it on utube. Many folk put up with minor scrapes till some thing more happens, and get them done at the same time.

4. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

If it is silver ,you will see that you have tried to repair it.:Eeek:

Silver is one of the worst colours to blend in as you have to fade it out over a larger area, then blend out the 2k clearcoat as well.

For what paint retailers will charge you for (what you need sir) which will be a big box of enough materials to paint a car , you be better off letting a professional repair it.

Probably cost around £ 120 --£180 to repair:thumb: and if you do not like it , you can tell them to put it right :BigGrin:

If you attempt a repair ,then take it in after for a pro repair ,it will cost more to fix what you done - sorry

• Like Like x 1
  5. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

You will never get the result that people like Chips Away and other franchisers accomplish.

Leave it to those who know how!

Peter

6. JohnH

JohnH Funster

I Guessed the answers before I posted. I have just moved to a new town and do not know any body shops here. So it will be Yellow Pages.
    Thanks to all.

7. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Find a local independent Garage or Car Sales and ask who they use for paintwork :thumb:
    If they all say vehicle is to big find local Van sales and ask again
    G

• Like Like x 1
  8. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  9. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

I really abide letting anyone work on any of my vehicles, much preferring to do any work myself, but......

had cause to use Chips away.. Bloody amazing is all I can say.
    It was on a red car ( notorious for fading ) and he STILL managed to get an absolute perfect match.. Happy to recommend