Resealing edges on motorhome (1 Viewer)

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Well I've finally reasealed all the joins where the aluminium bottom panels meet the aluminium body.

My motorhome is a 2008 and the black mastic had sunk into the gaps over time so decided it was time to reseal the gaps. I started off by cleaning the areas with sika cleaner 205
IMG_8362.GIF

I then masked the top and bottom edges with 3M blue masking tape. I left approx 2mm on the top edge and 1mm on the white aluminium bottom part. I used sikaflex EBT+ which is an adhesive, sealant and filler which is a non setting mastic which stays flexible.
IMG_8203.JPG

IMG_8204.JPG

IMG_8205.JPG

I applied this along the gap ensuring it was squeezed into the gap. Once I'd done a section I used an old credit card which has the perfect rounded edge to remove and shape the excess mastic. I then removed the masking tape which left a near perfect line. Any excess mastic I used a rag dipped in white spirit to remove. I'm well pleased with the results
IMG_8333.JPG

IMG_8334.JPG

IMG_8335.JPG

I'm going to do the roof joints when the weather gets better.

Dave.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Top job Dave !!
Sealer and me do not get on well.. Do not misunderstand .. I can do it ok, but somehow always seem to end up with the bloody stuff every where else as well as the joint I am doing !
Fortunately Darrell ( number one son ) and Des ( number one sone in law ) are both REALLY good at it so it is a job I always pass on..
If I had half the skill you show @dpsuk999 I would be well pleased !

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
That looks stunning fella (y) Dont it give you sense of achievement to do stuff yourself than paying some rip off prices you would have been charged for doing the same job (wouldnt have been as good) i can assure you of that... Its a credit to you - smashing pics too ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
dpsuk999
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Top job Dave !!
Sealer and me do not get on well.. Do not misunderstand .. I can do it ok, but somehow always seem to end up with the bloody stuff every where else as well as the joint I am doing !
Fortunately Darrell ( number one son ) and Des ( number one sone in law ) are both REALLY good at it so it is a job I always pass on..
If I had half the skill you show @dpsuk999 I would be well pleased !
I HATE silicon/mastic with a vengeance but put the job off for long enough thought I'd tackle it and if i made a mess then so be it but I took my time and made sure I had prepped the areas and that I had the right tools.

I was VERY surprised with how neat I managed to do it and very pleased with the outcome so thanks (y) I feel much more confident doing the roof now

OP
OP
dpsuk999
Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
That looks stunning fella (y) Dont it give you sense of achievement to do stuff yourself than paying some rip off prices you would have been charged for doing the same job (wouldnt have been as good) i can assure you of that... Its a credit to you - smashing pics too ;)
Thanks, and yes I'd much prefer doing most jobs myself but on the odd occasions that I've got to entrust my mh with someone else like when I had E&P fitted I hate leaving it and always worry so much prefer doing jobs myself and learning (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back