[Req] Do Travellers/Itinerants/Gypsies use Tourist Motorhome Parks? (2 Viewers)

FrCrilly

Free Member
Mar 16, 2008
Funster No
Hi All,

I’m presently researching to buy a motorhome. As motorhome holidays have strong similarities to a travellers/itinerants/gypsies way of life, does it ever happen that they actually stop off at European tourist designated motorhome parks? If yes, is it common or is it a rare occurrence? Also if yes, do they arrive individually or in large numbers?

All help appreciated. Thanks in Advance for all Responses.

strathspey

Free Member
May 19, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 years
Hi All,

does it ever happen that they actually stop off at European tourist designated motorhome parks? If yes, is it common or is it a rare occurrence? Also if yes, do they arrive individually or in large numbers?

French sites are forbidden by European law from actually banning Gypsies/travellers. However, they get round it by banning twin-axle caravans.
We stayed on a site on the Loir (the small tributary of the Loire) a few years ago where, during the afternoon, about 15 Italien Gypsies arrived towing a variety of vehicles with mercedes cars. They formed a circle (covered wagon style) which included our lone unit.
We watched this with a feeling of dread, but were pleasantly surprised: they behaved immacualtely, as did their children, and proved very friendly.
Just how typical this was, I don't know.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
A member of a nomadic people of Europe, of Hindu origin, with dark skin and hair, and speaking a language (Romany), related to Hindi.
we are all nomads, all travellers some are fulltime, some new age and others like me old age travellers. The Romany are a proud people with long traditions and way of life I suspect only a very small proportion of those called "gypsies" today are indeed of the Romany race. The rest are really no different to you and I people who like to live and travel a mainly mobile life albeit in family groups. Some good some bad, some clean and some untidy just as in all walks of life. I do hope this thread does not devolve into a witchhunt of travelling people.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFCTv3ZWuCQ]YouTube - 167. I'm a Freeborn Man (Ewan MacColl)[/ame]

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 24, 2007
Funster No
Not quite sure what a European designated motorhome park is but generally you are
likely to find fairly large groups of such people on any site at some time or other.
In 9 years of living on sites in UK and Europe we have never had any cause to complain about
any of them. Often the opposite in fact.

We did see a young kid with a gun at Gruissan Plage aire but we also saw him getting a beating off his grandma for playing with it !!!!!!!!!!!!

More and more are now travelling in campers and motorhomes so they can use aires and sites.

We have recently had two decent RVs on this site in England with two large families of
that fraternity. Never seen them in RVs before.

Anyway, treat them OK and I will almost guarantee they will do the same to you.
( can't guarantee what they get up to off site though:RollEyes:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back