Repositioning Truma Regulator

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Stewart J, Mar 27, 2013.

1. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Have just purchased a Gaslow Auto Change-over valve for my Alugas System (2 x 11 kg cylinders) The photo shows my regulator in its current position near the top of the gas locker. In this position it prevents me from fitting the auto changeover to the top of the regulator and I need to lower it by 3/4 inch.

I have the know how, spare compression olives and tooling to carry out this but my question to you my very knowledgeable colleagues "is there a regulation height in relation to the cylinders and would lowering it slightly have any adverse effects?" :Eeek:

I personally from an engineers logic cannot see one, anyone enlighten me otherwise? :Doh:

Attached Files:

2. Mel

Mel Funster

I had this dine on my last motorhome by the dealer here in Belgium.

There was no mention of it not being possible.

Never had a problem in the two years i had the MH.

Give Dave Newell a ring 01952 587702

Mel

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

To the best of my knowledge there is no regulation height for the regulator and it will work lower than the bottle take off point... however .. best practice is to have it higher, or at least the same height..

The reason ..

If lower it is possible for gas condensate to collect in the pig tail and find it's way into the regulator causing it to fail..

There were also reports/threads some while ago reporting that the gas condensate was attacking the rubber lining of the pig tail due to the regulator being mounted low.

4. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Those were my fears when I installed the gas system in my self build... What I have had to do is have the gas pipe replaced with stainless steel one. And got one that is a bit too long so it loops down before going back up into the regulator.
    Sorts out both issues.

5. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

The changeover will work just as well mounted horizontally so simply connect it to the elbow where your pigtail is presently connected.

D.

6. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Thanks for the input Dave, that was my initial plan but concerned that weights of valve and hoses will strain connector at regulator.

7. dave newell lvs

Shouldn't be a problem Stewart but I understand your concerns, you could always fix a supporting strap to the roof of the locker to carry the changeover unit.

D.

8. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Thanks again Dave, will I give myself a problem lowering it 3/4 inch its so much the easiest option.

9. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

A quick update, hoses ordered from Autogas Leisure Thursday arrived today (no post yesterday being Good Friday) so many thanks Autogas very professional and speedy service (thanks Chris):thumb:

Necessary to cut back copper regulator outlet pipe 20mm so auto-changeover valve could be fitted atop regulator this gave 1mm head clearance, easily modified and fitted, bubble tested on completion and no leaks all working fine.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Purchased the Gaslow auto-change over valve from our MH dealer knew they'd had them in stock for a while and asked if they would price match (£43.99p on Ebay) and by jingo they agreed, a result:BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin: so saved a few squids being a tightwad Geordie:Blush::Blush::Blush:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I'm not sure I see the point of an autochangeover valve on a 2xrefillable system. You could just leave both valves open and it would have the same effect i.e. you could use all your gas without having to manually change over.

I prefer to have only one valve open as then I know when I've used half my gas, though I have a remote gauge on each bottle.

11. dave newell lvs

Tidy job Stewart, the only thing I'd say is its sometimes better to cross over the pigtails to give a gentler curve.

D.