Replcement Cab Speakers. (1 Viewer)

shezza

Free Member
Jun 4, 2009
Funster No
Hi All, Does anyone know of good quality speakers for the cab. I am looking to replace the ones that are normally fitted in the door pillar and at the bottom of the door panels. Because of the extra noise associated with MH's I would like to put a single housing with good quality speakers in them. probably just above head hight around the area of the top of the windscreen or just above the head rests of driver and passenger seats. Either way they need to be good quality speakers in a small housing.
Has anyone changed their speakers for the better?

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
You can either replace the ones that are there with better quality ones, giving crisper sound etc - or you can retro fit custom ones. There are vast arrays of shapes and sizes, or you can build or buy pods to surface mount a larger speaker.

If you are using better quality replacements, you could always power through an amplifier. This would probably be better if your vehicle is fairly modern and you don't want to cut holes that others may consider unsightly when you come to sell. It would also make the boy racers jump! lol!:thumb:

It all depends on space and layout.

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
Hi All, Does anyone know of good quality speakers for the cab. I am looking to replace the ones that are normally fitted in the door pillar and at the bottom of the door panels. Because of the extra noise associated with MH's I would like to put a single housing with good quality speakers in them. probably just above head hight around the area of the top of the windscreen or just above the head rests of driver and passenger seats. Either way they need to be good quality speakers in a small housing.
Has anyone changed their speakers for the better?

Being into the modded car scene, and having several thousands of pounds worth of ICE (in car entertainment) in my car, I advise you investigate what speakers you have first, because a head unit upgrade very often doeas the job without changing the speakers.

Most vehicles have half decent speakers that don't need improving, unless you intend to pump lots of power into them. Usually poor sound is the fault of the head unit.

If you are suffering from speaker rattle, it may not be the speakers that are the problem. When you turn the power up the sound waves cause the fabrication of the vehicle to flex, thus causing things to rattle, which can be solved by a sound deadening upgrade on the sheet metal around the speaker.

If you do not have a sat nav or equivelent, I would invest in a new head unit that has a slide out screen with sat nav built into it, and has blue tooth.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

buellster

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
Northumberland
Funster No
Exp
I fitted two decent speakers under the rear (dinette) seats, with the right front rear balance, I think it reduces the normal rattles ect. from the rear.

dave jm

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
york
Funster No
Usually poor sound is the fault of the head unit.

If you do not have a sat nav or equivalent, I would invest in a new head unit that has a slide out screen with sat nav built into it, and has blue tooth.[/QUOTE]

If your going down this road have a look at the Kenwood dnx924bt...have just had one fitted and as a amateur radio ham i have always used Kenwood products:thumb:

OP
OP
S

shezza

Free Member
Jun 4, 2009
Funster No
Thanks for your replies, The MH. that I have is new 2009 Peugeot. It's not that the speakers rattle it just that with them being low down in the door panel the sound just dissapears into the foot well so to speak.

motorvating

Free Member
Feb 28, 2010
Hinckley
Funster No
MH
RV E350 Diesel
Exp
1 year
Thanks for your replies, The MH. that I have is new 2009 Peugeot. It's not that the speakers rattle it just that with them being low down in the door panel the sound just dissapears into the foot well so to speak.

As I said you need to research before spending, because your ICE is a science.

You need more volume which comes from the head unit, but the speakers have to be able to take the power, so take some advice on the problem, otherwise you are going to spend lots of money and may make the problem worse.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Your head unit should be a clarion model, which generally are fairly well powered - having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if they have changed to a cheaper version with the economic climate!

Pop it out and have a look at the power rating and see what it is. Let us know what the model of the stereo is, as this may help. A new head unit that will blow the power through the roof can be picked up from £60, £140 if you want a screen at most places.

You just need a better quality of speaker, the full ICE thing can get very expensive if you don't know what you are doing. I have another company that has door speakers ranging from £20 a pair to £500 a pair!

I would have thought, being the vehicle is based on a commercial vehicle, that the speakers may be a lower rating than that which is used in the cars. As they have said above, have a look at the head unit - i would have thought it would be OK, but you never know!

buellster

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
Northumberland
Funster No
Exp
What I ment was that the speakers in the back fill the whole van with sound, drowning any unwanted sounds from the rear. Also when parked up the cab speakers can be switched off.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Hi All, Does anyone know of good quality speakers for the cab. I am looking to replace the ones that are normally fitted in the door pillar and at the bottom of the door panels.
You don't need to spend a fortune or for that matter anything like the figures being banded about on here.

If you are looking to replace already existing spkrs with the same size, take out the fitted ones and check the size then check the brand make (if there is one).

You will find plenty of decent second hand quality speakers on eBay. I bought two 5" Pioneer complete with grilles for just £5 which I used to replace the crap ones fitted by Ford. Alternatively, scour the breakers yards........you'd be surprised at what folk with more money than sense chuck away!

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Bulletguy does have a fair point - if you look around breakers yards, go for the grand cherokees or voyagers...they have infinity gold speakers in - they will be more than enough!:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back