Replacing wing mirrors on fiat motorhomes

Discussion in 'Auto-Trail' started by richard fuller, Nov 2, 2009.

1. richard fuller

richard fuller Read Only Funster

I recently came accross a lorry travelling at great speed towards me on the narrow devon roads. I took evading action but broke the inside mirror on the hedge he then proceeded to take out the offside mirror as well.He did not stop leaving me to pick up the tab. These mirrors are expensive approx £250 each add on top of this the cost of fiat fitting which is about £150 for both. I fitted mine myself which was not difficult it took me about one hour. they can easily be removed by undoing the four * bolts,the wiring can be accessed by lifting the electric window switch from the rear end first,you then need to pull off the speaker cover and unsrew the speaker this provides easy access to the wiring sockets, reasemble job done £150 saved. Hope this helps someone else as apparently I was only one of thirty people on one site that had lost wing mirrors in that week so it seems it is a common problem.

2. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

You need some folding mirrors for tight spots :Wink:

3. lookback

lookback Read Only Funster

French white van man took off my door mirror. Replacedby Brownhills (Newark) for £210

Ian

4. Phil

Phil Read Only Funster

Hungarian lorry driver took off my passenger door mirror coming out of Dover docks. :cry:

Fiat wanted £150 for the short arm version ( it's the only one they do ) not much use for seeing round the side of the motorhome. :Eeek:

After a Google search I bought the correct, long arm version from a Citroen/Peugeot dealer. Same part number and an exact match for the other side for £40.

Good thing Fiat have stopped doing them. :Rofl1:

Phil.

5. tommytli

tommytli Funster

if you ever need these mirrors try Wing Mirror Replacement from Wingmirrorman he is the cheapest around and if you mention my user name on here he might even give you a discount (its a friend of mine lol)
    i know the prices are no where near the prices above:Wink:

6. tucker_j

tucker_j Read Only Funster

I bet it is a common problem on the narrow roads of Devon and Cornwall. I managed to knock the passenger side last year in a similar incident but it was on a brand new, hired motorhome. Luckily it was only scratched and some liberal application of AutoGlym's bumper restorer was sufficient for it not to be picked up when we took the vehicle back and therefore ensuring the safe return of my deposit :Wink: